Armando Galarraga

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by King_CEPS_11, Jun 2, 2010.

1. King_CEPS_11

King_CEPS_11 Walk On

Armando Galarraga

I don't know if anybody just saw the end of the Tigers-Indians game, but Galarraga had a perfect game going through 8 2/3 innings and then the last batter hit a ball to Cabrera at first who fielded it and threw it to Galarraga covering on the play. Galarraga beat the guy to the bag by half a step and the ump called him out. It was a awful call, not even close IMO. After the call Leyland went nuts and was all over the ump. Galarraga got the next guy out to end the game, but the damage was done.

I couldn't really get a pic or video this quick after the game but here is the link ESPN where you can watch the play.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=28914

2. Masler

Masler Moderator

Complete crock of SH!T...that ump is going to get run out of Detroit....AHHH BULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!T

3. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    That ump should be suspended. No excuse really.

I'm typically not one for instant replay, but when umps start getting shaky feet and blowing big calls, what else can you do? Besides deal with it...

4. Masler

Masler Moderator

I can tell you I may join the mob in runnning him out of town...

5. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Complete bullshit. The ump released a statement himself saying he got it wrong after watching the replay. How is that possible, he gets robbed of history

6. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

MLB won't go back and change it to a perfect game but I think they would change it to an "error" so maybe he will get credited with a no hitter.

The call was terrible and as baseball players say "thats just baseball"

7. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

The veteran ump regretted it.
    "I just cost that kid a perfect game," Joyce said. "I thought he beat the throw. I was convinced he beat the throw, until I saw the replay.""It was the biggest call of my career," said Joyce, who became a full-time major league umpire in 1989.

8. KnightNoles

Jim Joyce, ahhh naaaw. smh

9. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

10. KnightNoles

reverse angle...

[​IMG]

11. KnightNoles

granite the umpire can't see it from the angle and more head on from the foul line.

12. Masler

Masler Moderator

WOW....now i'm really pissed

13. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I was watching this live tonight (8th inning on) and I made my whole family come in and watch the replay because I thought it was a good opportunity for the kids to learn that even when you are perfect, you can still get screwed.

Seriously.

In the small microcosm of my life, I think it was karma. Tonight my little league team knocked off the top team in the league to put us in 1st place, the other team hasn't lost in two years. We got the win after the ump blew a call in our favor.:)

We still had a chance to win in the bottom of the sixth but with no outs and down by one we ran the runners (1st and second) really hard and the other team made a great throw and caught two of our runners close together, one on third and one on the way home. The lead runner came back instead of taking the tag and our next runner ran from inside between third and home back to second (missing the base in the process). The ump missed this and called him safe at second. So we ended up with runners on 1st and 2nd and one out instead of runner on first with two outs. The next kid hit a double and won the game.

So, it was karma in a strange way. To bad for karma, I am a Reds fan, haha.

14. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

They should change it when you have 100% proof the game is over after that play. Why not? They take records away from steroid users.

15. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Worst call in baseball history... I feel bad for 'em.... I feel a "Worst Call In Sports History" thread comin on, lol...

16. benbuckeye

benbuckeye Walk On

BAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHA F*** the tigers!!

17. benbuckeye

benbuckeye Walk On

there is no way in hell you can go back and change that call. Was it a horrible call absolutely, but so was the blown foul ball call in last years playoff game bettween the yankees and twins. And it was a worse call and much more important. Who cares when it happened, it shouldnt make a difference. And how many times has a guy got a no hitter or perfect game from bad calls by the home plate umpire. Are you going to go back and change those to?

18. T2

T2 Smarter than your average bear!

Not trying to justify what happened, but I wanted to say that being an ump or a ref is the only job where you are expected to be perfect 100% of the time. You can watch replay 100,000,000 times but you get 1 chance to make that call. As an offical my self I know how that guy feels. If you feel you can do a better job I encourage all of you to get into being an offical for some type of sporting event. Be warned though, you'll never be able to look at sports the same way again. Sorry for the rant, I just get tired of the same story. Refs this, Refs that..

19. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    It is very difficult and they are correct WAY more than they are wrong.

That said, they need instant replay. Not using technology is ignorant.

20. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Currently the MLB is looking over the call last night, it may yet be overturned. As a huge Tigers fan, I watched the entire game last night and you just had a feeling Galarraga was going to do it, and it looked like fate once Jackson made that amazing Willie Mays catch in the 9th. The Ump screwed history.

Reversing the call benefits everyone involved, Galaragga will get his deserved place in history, and the Ump will be removed of SOME of his guilt. However, Galarraga still wont get the chance to celebrate with the team and fans like he should have.

21. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

It's ignorant and it's arrogant. Selig needs to get his act together and earn some respect back, not that anyone really respects him in the first place.

That play wasn't even that close, it's not like his foot was hovering over the bag when Galarraga caught the ball, he was almost a full step late. If you watch the replay, the runner didn't even think he beat the throw based on his reaction.

22. EaglesIrish5

EaglesIrish5 Walk On

Reversing the call would be worse then the ump blowing the call. The only reason this is an issue is because of when it happened. Umps missing calls is part of the game. That is not going to change.

Would they change the call if it was the first batter of the game? No chance. What's done is done.

23. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

To me that was a perfect game. Silly ump.

However, this brings up an interesting scenario. This would be the 21st perfect game in major league history. There's been 3 in the past month (Braden, Holliday, Gallaraga). How in the hell does that happen?

24. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    It is an statistical anomaly.

25. MaxAttack360

MaxAttack360 Walk On

When I saw this last night, it made me sick to my stomach. If I were the pitcher, I would've just left. Right then and there. It was a TERRIBLE call, and don't pull out the "Oh, but being an umpire is one of the toughest jobs out there" card. This call was not even CLOSE!!! Not close at ALL! (If I'm thinking of the same game, there was another play that looked even closer where the runner was called out) I could've got that particular call right in real time, from his view. How you miss that one I have absolutely no idea.

Having said that, I feel just as strongly about NOT overturning this call - you just can't do something like that. I don't know how much the MLB was actually considering doing that, but you just can't do anything like that. If the call was overturned I'd probably be even more enraged than when I saw the blown call.

^^
    All this coming from a fan of a team who did get a perfect game this season!!! haha. I do feel really, really bad for the guy though.