As the Plains Burn - A MUST READ FOR COLLEGE FOOTBALL FANS

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by carolinaeasy, Dec 3, 2010.

1. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/messagetopic.asp?p=22778676

Let me preface this with some disclaimers.

• I am not making judgements here I don't know what went on with Newton, nor do I claim to know
    • I am posting this because it is pretty interesting and as college football fans this is a must read
    • I am not a die hard SEC person, I am a Penn Stater. I have always liked Auburn's team and really enjoy watching classic footage of Bo Jackson
    • If this stuff is true, the death penalty may be laid down on Auburn.

Read and enjoy

2. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

I don't understand why the NCAA would allow Newton to play in the SEC title game and National Title game if they think Auburn could be hit with penalties? After what happened at USC I'd think the NCAA would fear needing to vacate a second BCS title in the short life the BCS has currently had. I would think the NCAA is praying for Oregon to win the BCS title game.

3. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Short term $$$ always outweighs long term $$$. That's all we're talking about.

4. bdub

bdub Walk On

The NCAA is in a tough spot. If they haven't made verdict and they hold him out of the games, what happens if it comes back that he was innocent? It would be a huge mess and the NCAA would look really bad. Also I could be wrong but I don't think USC had to actually give up the MNC dd they?

5. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

USC had to vacate the BCS National Title. The AP did not make them vacate the AP given title but the BCS made them forfeit.

6. bdub

bdub Walk On

Oh OK that makes sense.

7. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

USC might be appealing the loss of the title though. I'm not too sure about that.

8. bdub

bdub Walk On

If this stuff is true AU shouldn't even be allowed to play sports. This kind of stuff makes me sick.

9. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

There is so much history with Auburn and the SEC that I don't see the NCAA forcing Auburn to close down sports and ban it from the SEC. Likely there will be some secret deal struck, a huge shakeup of all the Auburn athletic department staff, and some sanction from the NCAA that doesn't force Auburn to quit sports. They are one of the oldest institutions in college football.

10. bdub

bdub Walk On

I don't know a lot about what was going on at SMU to get the death penalty but this seems much worse.

11. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

I don't think the death penalty will ever be given again. Heavy sactions? Sure. Causing Auburn to leave the SEC? Never happen. Forcing Auburn to replace it's Athletic Department staff? Sure. Banning Auburn from playing football again? Never happen.

12. bdub

bdub Walk On

The thing that makes me think it could be worse is their history. Its not like this the first time they have been in trouble about this kind of stuff. If the article is true they got in trouble and never even stopped what they got in trouble for. I doubt the NCAA likes looking like a fool especially when the FBI is involved.

13. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

If you read that post they are talking about losing their accreditation which would result in them not functioning as a university. This is much bigger than football...this is the FBI

14. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

Thanks for posting. This story certainly isn't over.

15. bdub

bdub Walk On

Great article, really shed some more light on whats going on at AU. Now I think I need to go take a shower though.

16. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

Yeah I agree with this but I don't see the FBI investigation shutting down Auburn as a university over this. People going to jail and the school athletics gutted sure. I just don't think they will loose accreditation or get kicked from the SEC or anything like that. I bet the school make some sort of plea deal with the feds to save Auburn.

17. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

What really bugs me is this: The media guys seem to be campaigning for Newton to win the Heisman. These guys are marching in lockstep ... yet there seems to be an (albeit unproven) mountain of evidence. Everyone seems to already know that Auburn is going tom play for a title (and Newton for a Heisman) that neither will keep should they win it. Why all the benefit of the doubt? Why are these guys seemingly trying to help Newton and Auburn win?

Could there be a money motive? What if TCU made the game? What if Kellen Moore won the Heisman? What if both happened in the same year? What does the NCAA and the BCS stand to lose in a year like this - one that already features UConn and VaTech playing in BCS bowls they clearly don't deserve? I think these are the questions we need to start asking, because the Cam Newton love-fest is bordering on ridiculous.

18. Gyrene76

Gyrene76 What does the fox say?

very interesting read there