Ask HK: Do I have an addiction to throwing to the TE?

Discussion in 'Hard Knocks' started by SteamboatReb, Feb 17, 2012.

1. SteamboatReb

SteamboatReb Walk On

[Stands up, faces group] My name is Reb, and I like to throw to the TE.

[Group Response] : Hi Reb!!!!

While I do not think the Open Radio 5 segment addressing over targeting of TEs was addressed to me specifically, I could not help but think I am one of the users to whom said discussion is generally applicable.

If done properly, I think a user could throw to the TE without a "target count" in their head. As I see it, whether a TE is over-targeted is relative to the formations, schemes and circumstances through which the ball is delivered.

I try to limit how many times I target the TE from traditional run formations on run down and distances. This includes play action. With the right TE, you can get exploit the 7 man front on a run down with a favorable match up against a LB or a defense selling out on the run inside. This is part of the game and a prudent user will and should cross up the defense to get them on their heels. These are the sneaky TE plays and 5-7 a game is cheese. 1 or 2 a game is fine. 3 to 5 is questionable.

My question for the board is this: If I am targeting the TE as much as a WR, but I am doing so from obvious passing formations on obvious passing downs, then do I have to concern myself to any further extent than i would if deciding whether a certain WR was over targeted. You know I am throwing. My TE is standing up like a WR. Stated simply, is a TE ever just another WR on the field?

The distinction in the NFL is getting hazy (Gronk, Graham, Finley, etc.). These guys play traditional TE in running formations but play outside as de facto for just as many, or more, snaps.

What do you think HK?

• Like Like x 3
  2. DC

DC Shake n Bake

im gonna throw to whos open. that is all

• Like Like x 1
  3. G_T_G

G_T_G BEAR DOWN

Just so happens to be your tight end, right? lol

I think that I attempt to throw to my receivers more, but TE passes are such high % completion that I believe they will always seem to have a lot of receptions even if they are not overly targeted.

Unless they have like 10 receptions in a game then that may be a bit much.

4. DC

DC Shake n Bake

yep i dont throw the slants to him alot though so yeaaaa

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  5. HAL9100

HAL9100 TSO's Resident Antagonist

Featured Threads:
    Personally, I've been actively trying to throw to my TE more. :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  6. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

THIS and the Thread Title: I'm crackin up, LOL

7. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    I dont see a problem with it personally. Whats the problem with a TE leading your team in receiving?

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...3-s=RECEIVING_YARDS&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

Jimmy Graham and Gronk were in the top 10 in all major receiving statistical categories this season. More and more in the NFL TEs are becoming multipurposed.

I think the bottom line comes down to what routes your running with them and the number of times you run them a game. Everyone knows that PA Scissors out of any I Formation is a very high percentage play to a TE. If you're running it 3+ times a game, then sure, you have a problem. There are a ton of playbooks now though that have 3-4 WR sets with a TE lined up off the line as a receiver. If you mix up your plays / routes and you arnt simply just targeting players then its on the defense.

We're 5 seasons in now with six TEs that have 88+ SPD (4 of which are 90). Lets face it, they're becoming just as much a part of the offense as wide receivers.

8. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:

It's not really the TE perse, its more less that guys target 1 player and you see stats that represent that ..Like 8 catches for 1 guy and 3 guys with 1 catch, and things like that. In the NFL they adjust to cover one guy, but in the Game we are limited.

We just want guys to utilize all their offensive tools. Use your subs, things like that.

Its considered abuse if you continuously throw to the same guy, game in and game out. I think at some point in time we are all guilty but we need to be reminded from time to time that we have to be realistic with our stats too.

In the video game realm, the reality is that the TE should NEVER line up on the outside. It's like an unwritten rule. Generally we don't allow TEs to be 3rd WRs but have loosened this rule a little bit because certain types of TEs do line up in the slot.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    In some people's eyes, there is a problem with this comment

10. DC

DC Shake n Bake

if people are running the same defense ...im gna hit the open guy...

11. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

I don't know anymore. I used to be a very strict player but I don't see the problem anymore. It seems that you should be able to throw to your tight end. You should be able to run with your QB. You react to what the defense calls. If someone is running in with their linebacker like a crack addict after some crack, why not bounce it outside or gash them for yards with the quarterback. It seems like all we do is set up rules for the offense. Nothing for the defense though. I find myself in the game getting so paranoid of not doing something so that my opponent will be fine with my gameplay. It hurts me so much that I second guess myself. I just want to play.

• Like Like x 7
  12. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    How do you know people are running the same defense? Same routes work versus nearly any defense.

Legitimate (not to get you upset) but Do you know how to truly read what coverage it is?

13. DC

DC Shake n Bake

i do

14. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

I couldn't agree more with this post.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    The MAJOR problem comes when it is versus CPU. But this is a healthy HK discussion. I enjoy these, helps me to see where the league is at.

• Like Like x 1
  16. DC

DC Shake n Bake

If i had expanded on my comment... i would have said something exactly like this

17. thegman2.0

thegman2.0 Walk On

not sure how many times i target my te's but 10 catches from them so far , miller with 9 , ryan with 1. holmes has 13 , breaston with 8 , mariani with 4, coleman with 1 , rb charles has only 3 on the year , stanzi with 39 passes complete. my self i try the best i can make sure breaston and holmes my number 1 and 2 gets the ball than after that it be mariani or rb or te , and yeah im gulity of te also , i used te as safety net bofore. also just being honest .

18. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    Exactly! I 200% support this comment. There are so many people in this site and 20+ people in the league. There are some who dont mind if you do certain things and there are others that go absolutely ape shit if you walk a line with them. There are set things in Madden that people know are "money" plays and are "unwritten rules" like Bob mentioned. There are just as many things though that are a matter of opinion. Clearly there has to be a standard for SIM play, and for the most part it is. I just dont think we can go as far as to tell someone how to run their offense to a point where the defense is just a face roll and the game becomes who can run the basic plays better. If I'm running a HB Dive and a LB comes flying to the middle of the line and is about to blow me up 4 yards back, I'm not going to just run right into him for the sake of sticking to the play I called. If I have time I'm going to try and cut to the outside and avoid him. Thats not to say I'm going to needlessly bounce a HB dive outside when there is a huge hole in the middle of the line though. Either way, you get my drift.

I dont see the problem here either, as long as people arnt snapping the ball and dropping back for 1 second then taking off because their #1 WR wasnt open on a quick slant and there is a huge hole to the left. I think its well established that the defense dosnt react fast enough to a QB scrambling on a called pass play.

I make this as just a matter of fact statement as I know you clearly know this, but there are coverage adjustments to favor certain receivers etc..

In this regard I have a bigger problem with HBs getting 28+ carries a game while their backup gets 1-2. That no longer happens on a regular basis in the NFL.

There are certain playbooks that do this consistently. Hell, the Saints playbook lines up a HB as the #2 WR in one Shotgun formation. The problem is the line is rather blurry as to when you're crossing over from realistic to "video game". By that I mean you want it to be as realistic as possible, but at the same time you have to remember that its a game. If the TE is your best receiver he should be utilized as such.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

This shouldn't really be a problem. Isn't this a part of gameplanning against your opponent anyways? If I know that someone favors throwing to a certain guy, I will do everything in my power to try and limit that in the game. True there are times when that does not work at all, but that is mostly on me and not on my opponent. As long as the same receiver isn't getting catches on the same exact routes every time then it should not be an issue. As an example, it seemed like my game this week against sdid22 he did everything to make sure that Tamme wasn't open on certain situations and he limited him to 1 catch. Not sure if that was his plan going in but that is what it looked like so I had to adjust. Just like with everything else, the only thing here is moderation where stats are concerned, and that is true of any position not just the TE.

• Like Like x 3
  20. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  21. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    I cant see that GIF as its blocked from work but I can only assume its something sarcastic.

22. DC

DC Shake n Bake

its a (y)

23. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    Chuck Norris dosnt do (y) .

24. DC

DC Shake n Bake

must be an imposter then ...cuz he is!!

25. SteamboatReb

SteamboatReb Walk On

I have noticed before that you are one of the few who virtually ignore the TE. lol.