Ask HK - Does "defensive cheese" exists?

Discussion in 'Hard Knocks' started by SteamboatReb, Jun 18, 2012.

1. SteamboatReb

SteamboatReb Walk On

Thus has been a burning question in my mind for quite awhile. Does defensive cheese exist?

The most common scenario I can think of is when a player is usering an inside backer on an obvious running down and immediately slips the block of the OL/FB (usually "looping" or similar move) and meets the ball carrier in the backfield about the time he gets the handoff (before the other user even has control of the ball carrier).

Is this the kind of "looping" controllerabuser hates so much? Is this acceptable as it was a "guess" based on down, distance, formation and preparation? Am I imagining things and simply need more imagination in my gameplan?

It might just be "stick skills" that I do not have. I have always noticed it more against the better players, but that is probably because they also manage to time it out with the hit stick as well as cause fumbles/injuries/nightmares.

Chime in HK!!! That goes for you prospective members as well!!

2. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

Of course there is defensive cheese. You have Nano blitzes, people dropping DE's into coverage, and people using the aggressive game plan for fumbles in CPU games when it is supposed to be turned off.

At the end of the day it comes down to stats and how skewed they are. In NCAA we had guys that would have multiple DE and DT with 16-18 sacks. We had a problem in the Deuce with pre snap movement. Basically a User would move a LB into the A gap, and then switch off so that the LB would initiate contact with the OL at the line of scrimmage instead of 4 yards down the field. This helped stop counters, and runs up the middle and was complete crap. That user was eventually run out of the league because he was a douche.

3. DrunkenSoldier

DrunkenSoldier Luck Of The Irish

there are definitely ways to cheese but I don't think shooting MLB up the gap is one of them

I would say no, if your not mOving your MLB before the snap to get a better angle and u fly through the hole afterwards I think it's part of the game. U can counter this too by using line adjustments either pinch or aggressive, also if you run more straight up the middle u can burn the MLB , if he's going around the center one way u go the other.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    Fixed for you

There is defensive cheese. I think to a certain degree the 1-5-5 is cheesy.
    Also the ol shooting the gap thing should be slowed down due to the new RTP that is in Madden. You won't be able to completely shoot the gap untouched anymore.

5. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

SMH

6. Keller

Funny.

I simply misinterpreted a rule and am still getting hosed for it? Wow.

7. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

Luckily for us the guys at Madden Bible made the dev team aware of this. The best example we know is the "Shake" blitz, where you shift lbs from left to right. The fact that they are moving at the time of snap gives them a boost to get to the QB quicker.

8. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    oh don't get your panties in a bunch.

9. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

I purposely didn't mention him by name because I didn't want the thread to turn into a pity party.

I guess the long and short of it is that you will have cheese on both sides of the ball because don't like to lose.

10. Keller

Moving on.

11. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

The looping that I don't like is on offense SteamboatReb. It's when the guy takes his receiver off route in a circular motion coming back to the spot where the ball is at.

I think defensively, always blitzing is a little cheese. I also think usering just the DT is pretty cheese but everybody has their own opinion.

12. controllerabuser

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. SteamboatReb

SteamboatReb Walk On

I figured the "cheese" on defense was more scheme, "nano" type cheese. Just taking the temperature of the forum. Just another area my skills are a lagging a bit. If I still had a copy of '12, I would start labbing this shit.

I SHALL BE A VICTIM NO LONGER IN '13!!!!!

So, in everyone's opinion, there is no defensive "cheese" if you are usering a LB and you get a jump and run around blocks. I am guessing this is viewed in a similar manner to the use of slants on offense. If a user is overdoing the slants, you adjust and pick a few off to stop it.

The onus is on me to adjust the blocking and burn you ass a few times to get you to quit the aggressive LB play.

controllerabuser you need to set up a scrimmage with OMlawdog so we can make sure he doesn't have GameGenie codes for Madden. lol.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  14. HAL9100

HAL9100 TSO's Resident Antagonist

Featured Threads:
    A general pet peeve of mine is not running a play as it's designed. This doesn't apply to shifts, but manually moving a player out of the expected position. Like walking a safety up into the box when he's supposed to be playing a deep cover 2. Another thing I've seen a few times, typically from the 3-4, is calling a heavy blitz while controlling one of the MLBs. But once they recognize pass, they break off of the blitz that they called and just play an un-called middle zone with their player. So they're taking advantage of the animations of bringing all their LBs against the run, but back off against the pass which results in a lighter blitz of 5 or 6 rather than 7.

15. DC

DC Shake n Bake

how is this cheese? Im not questioning you. Ive just never had success with usering the DT

16. controllerabuser

When it is all you do, I think it is. At least in Madden '12. It seemed as though it was very easy and worked too good.

17. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

*pokes in*

NCAA as well IMO.

*leaves*

• Like Like x 1
  18. HAL9100

HAL9100 TSO's Resident Antagonist

Featured Threads:
    I don't like it when people only play as the MLB, but you've got to play somewhere, so you might as well play somewhere you're good at. But I do agree that it seems like people can have a lot of success at DT.

19. controllerabuser

BTW SteamboatReb, great idea to get some activity and discussion going in this biatchhhhhhhhhh

20. AoHigh5

AoHigh5 CTE

To the initial post of this thread, I'd say there's a counter to that. Switch the snap count up. Get him offsides.

And that's my belief in madden in general towards any "cheese". A cheese most the time is simply tryna get a head start on the opponent which in most cases has a counter to it. Unless of course it's an actual glitch in the game. Just my two cents

21. DrunkenSoldier

DrunkenSoldier Luck Of The Irish

This league I played in a couple of years ago had a good rule, you weren't allowed to manually move any player on defense even if u controlled him after the snap, u could use shifts or show blitz only

22. SteamboatReb

SteamboatReb Walk On

I am DL user and plan to try and move away from it this release. In accordance with my "first do no harm" mantra, I settled on DL because I was getting killed usering LBs. It seems at the snap all I did was immediately create a hole to exploit. Personal problem, I know. But a prob nonetheless.

23. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

Shaun Mason

Let's hear it :)

24. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    You are still a release cycle away from breaking even.

25. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    You know my stance. There isn't anything that is possible with the DT that can't be taken away by a smart user.