Ask SH - Defensive Keys

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by HackGolfer, Jul 14, 2012.

?

Should run and pass commit be allowed?

1. Only Pass Commit

25.0%
  2. Only Run Commit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Both

8.3%
  4. Neither

33.3%
  5. Other (Please explain below)

16.7%
  1. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

2. BG

BG On The Rize!

I voted neither because quite frankly, I don't use them. I think its still cheesy and should be taken out of the game.......period! JMO!

• Like Like x 2
  3. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

I think you should be able to use both just as long as it is in situational periods. I wouldn't agree with people using it just whenever. Pass commit, it would be on a down and long. Run commit on a short yardage play. If people started abusing it then we could limit or ban it but we've all been together long enough to know we all are legit.

I don't think these are cheesy at all, sorry just my opinion. If you can run any play you should be able to strategize against it as long as we are mixing it up.

HackGolfer I was going to ask about using conservative gameplan. I use the conservative tackle against the CPU. Is that fine?

4. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

Why is it cheesy? Wouldn't you agree that certain plays are pretty much hard to stop?

5. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

High reward, no risk.

• Like Like x 3
  6. BG

BG On The Rize!

If a person is under center and you call middle run commit with a blitz, there is no way you can run or call playaction to get away from the pressure. I just think an automatic jump from the defense which is impossible to get away from is just not right. I just think it gives an unfair advantage on downs when you know your opponent is either passing or running. But I do agree with your statement about we have been playing together for a while and have enough respect for each other not to take advantage of the situation. So whatever the consensus, I'm good!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  7. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

With the coverage AI being suspect at best, I think a 3rd and >8 yard situation deserves to be a little more difficult. I would be for pass commit in those situations.

8. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    I voted other with this being my sentiment. Pass Commit only with the only being 3rd and long situations. The run commits are just way to OP atm.

• Like Like x 1
  9. onaradio34

onaradio34 Tryin not to show how little I know bout anything

• Like Like x 7
  10. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

LMAO thats hilarious

11. SteamboatReb

SteamboatReb Walk On

If it is a legitimate choice, I am with BG. I vote neither. Play it as it lies. If you think you have a run sniffed out call an audible and commit that way.

12. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

HA! My bad my friend... alcohol may have been involved this evening

• Like Like x 3
  13. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

I would agree Ry, but until I see everyone on the defense standing around with their dick in their hand, like its a draw play, when someone calls pass commit when I am running the ball, I will not use it.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  14. onaradio34

onaradio34 Tryin not to show how little I know bout anything

I must be doing something wrong. If I guess wrong on pass commit and it's a run, I get gashed. I bet I've given up 5 3rd And longs to draws while in cover 2 man with pass commit already this year.

15. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

I don't touch either. Think it is a run? Blitz. Think it is a pass? Run Nickle, Dime and adjust to it.

I'd be more lenient on pass commit, but I hate the idea of using it because eventually it may come up in a situation that it was "abused". You can crash the DLine one direction, you can adjust blitzes on the fly...I never liked run commit.

16. T2

T2 Smarter than your average bear!

i voted other. i think you shouldnt use either, because they are lame. i would like to use highlight the WR but i noticed if you highlight a WR and you prevent that guy from getting a catch you get Play the Pass +3. thus making it too hard to police.

17. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

Ok, I guess it is time to add my two cents.

In all honesty, I feel it is a broken feature in the game. There is very high reward with very little risk unless you are using it in the wrong situation. A MLB that crashed the line to jump on a running play should not be able to backpedal deep enough to cover a pass unless it's an underneath crossing route, but alas this is possible still with run commit. The only time you can semi get burned is if you run commit left and the play call is a counter right, because your line just crashed the wrong way.

Same thing holds true with Pass Commit. If you tell all 11 of your players to prepare for a pass, the safety better not be coming up for run support unless the play has already made it to the second level [or you blitzed him]. My concerns on allowing either is that people will start to use this as a crutch and get lazy. Instead of using it situation-ally, it will become a reflex play after play.

There are defensive plays that are better at stopping the 3rd and longs than one might think. You just need to go into practice mode and see what works best with the talent you have on the field. I will even go as far as to give you a hint. Try a few tighter-mixed zone coverages (ie Cover 6).

• Like Like x 1
  18. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

I think this is a reasonable feature to utilize.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Yea I'm good with what ever is decided.

20. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

Good points. I think with 4-5 people being against pass commit (most strongly), we should proceed without it.

• Like Like x 3
  21. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1