Athletes and position in '13 and beyond

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by chance17, May 29, 2012.

1. chance17

chance17 Walk On

With the advent of the triple-threat athletes many of the "QBs" we see in the wildcat will be WR/QB/RB (you pick the order) type athletes this year. I imagine that they still improve only at the ratings relevant to their position, so to maximize their skill set most people will probably put them as their QB.

So follows these questions:

1) Will we see a "wildcat quarterback" position eventually on the depth chart sort of like the 3rd down back in Madden? I'm thinking of a guy like Bruce Ellington for South Carolina. Dual-sport athlete who plays point guard and is a WR, KR, and an effective wildcat QB (led his team to the AAAA state championship playing QB). He gets plenty of practice snaps in this formation, so he should be able to improve his TP and TA to a certain point without having to put him at QB and then have his awareness at WR be crap when I play around on the depth chart.

2) Will there ever be legitimate players that play on both sides of the ball? I'm really thinking WR/DB here. I would love to see a defensive player get some Heisman votes. I'm not asking every athlete in the recruiting database to be Charles Woodson, but if it's in the game...

3) Will more players come in with something other than 40 for TP and TA? The accuracy and power on some of the throws that I've tried to execute from PA in the wildcat have been pathetic. I understand not being able to hit a guy in stride, but to completely miss wide open guys (not even in the right third of the field on longer throws) and throw ducks every time its more than 20 yds is a bit much for me. This is with SECElite's sliders, but I still find the same to be true for standard sliders.

4) Could we see some more input in off-season training or position drills in future installments?

I'm sure you've answered some, if not all, of these before, but I haven't seen them in the threads I've read.

Thanks!

2. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    1) I think that's a long way out. I would like to see 3rd down backs, outside/inside WRs, etc before a designated wildcat QB. You can settle this by formation subs anyway. Hopefully we can get system specific depth charts soon (3-4 DEs, 4-2-5 ROVs, H-backs, etc).

2) It's possible. The athletes are more dynamic than ever.

3) You need to explain this more? There are plenty of QBs and ATHs that came in last year with better than 40 THP and THA. If you are asking if normal players will come in with better than that, then probably not. If they have a better THP or THA rating then they should be an ATH or a QB anyway. Other than that, I'm really not concerned with it. I won't be throwing the ball with anyone that has terrible ratings.

4) Yes, it was on our dev wishlists for '13 and will be on our lists for '14.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

Chance.... what if you sign a really goid QB in the same season you sign a triple threat..... why not make that guy a WR and put him at QB for wildcat packages?

4. chance17

chance17 Walk On

For (3) I meant that it just seemed a little ridiculous for guys to be so bad at throwing the ball. I've had 2* teams that have had wonderful CBs and RBs that couldn't complete a pass from the wildcat so it made it too one dimensional.

In regards to (4), you guys rock.

5. chance17

chance17 Walk On

That's one of the scenarios I would love to have an actual wildcat QB position for. He wouldn't lose AWR at WR or when used as wildcat QB.

6. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

Having played with Baylor for multiple releases now, I could not be in greater agreement with this. It felt weird putting Kendall Wright as the 3rd WR on the depth chart, but that put him in his position that he played IRL. And I recruited based on finding guys that would play IR/OR in my system. Made it feel a little more realistic.

7. WreckEm27

WreckEm27 Classless Clown

I would LOVE inside/outside receivers as their own thing on the depth chart. It would help keep TEs and HBs from playing WR.

8. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

I would like to see the game identify position specific attributes and utitlize that not to kill their AWR if you move them to a postition they obviously have skills at and probably played in HS. I'm not sure what role AWR actually plays because you have things like field vision, route running and plat recognition so it depends on whit overrides the other. However, a player with good football IQ will carry that to any position so that should be reflected. I think they need an IQ or football sense rating and get rid of AWR. The IQ could dictate how well they adapt to new positions and improve the one they are at. Could be a big factor in recruiting and position changes.

9. chopper393

chopper393 Walk On

Drifterbub

I was wondering if you guys saw any athletes like Oregon's commit Arik Armstead. He was the #1 OT in the country but is going to play on the d-line for the ducks.