Attention Rules Committee:Player Position Change - FINAL REVISION

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Jeremy, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

Attention Rules Committee:player Position Change - FINAL REVISION

Here is the rule as I understand it. It is a mix of Sciktoic's idea with some of Dunlap's attribute criteria.

Offensive changes listed first as they are pretty cut and dry.

I will assume that we are going to allow owners to move these players freely,within the above guidelines, without asking for board approval.

Now the defense.

-The following positions can be officially changed to DE:
    DT
    OLB if player meets following criteria: Weighs 250 lbs or more. Speed is 85 or less. Acceleration is 90 or below.

-The following positions can be officially changed to DT:
    DE if player meets following criteria: Weighs 280 lbs or more. Strength is 87 or more.

-The following positions can be officially changed to MLB:
    ROLB
    LOLB

-The following positions can be officially changed to ROLB:
    LOLB
    MLB

-The following positions can be officially changed to LOLB:
    MLB
    ROLB

-The following positions can be officially changed to SS:
    FS if player meets following criteria: Speed is 85 or less.

-The following positions can be officially changed to FS:
    SS if player meets following criteria: Speed is 85 or more.
    CB if player meets following criteria: Speed is 87 or less & age is 30 or more.

-The following positions can be officially changed to CB:
    FS if player meets following criteria: Speed is 87 or more.

**I came up with criteria as I saw acceptable. These are up for tweaking but we need to make a decision quickly here as some teams Free Agency plans may change according to what we come up with.**

**The criteria is the same for teams that run 4-3,3-4,4-4 or multiple. Makes no difference.**

**Owner must make a post designating a player for position change. The designated board member will review and verify that the player is eligible. Nate stated he has an idea on how we can verify new overalls. After board member gives approval on the change, owner immediately makes announcement in his team front office thread and salary cap team makes proper adjustments and signs off on cap. OWNER CANNOT place player in new position until board member signs off and cap teams gives green light on changes. **

-We put a guy or a team of guys over making the call on these players and letting the board know.

-Once a guys position is changed he gets changed in the capbook to that position with his new overall.

-If he is moved and his new position is a lower amount he carries over his old salary.

-Every player moved takes on a starter modifier, reguardless of where he is playing.

-If a player is moved he may not play BOTH positions, he may only play the new position.

-If an owner wishes to move player back to his original position, he can only do this in the following year. He then goes through same process. He will still carry starter modifier and the higher salary of the two positions.

-We will still allow Formation Subs without having to meet criteria but only to be used in correct situations.
    EXCEPTION: HB @ FB is BANNED in any situation.

Guys, this is by no means perfect but I think we can run with this with some small tweaking to attribute requirements as youll see fit, but we need to get something decided he quickly. We have all of year 1 to streamline this thing and get it 100% for year 2.

I am working nites so I wont be back on here till aroun 5pm cst but I vote YES to allow this and also vote YES even if minor tweaks are made.I AM READY TO MOVE ON. If some major changes need to be made and I am not around to cast my vote I defer my vote to Nate.

2. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

I think we should add that a players max speed for DT is around 85 at the most.

3. wajomatik

wajomatik Magister De Puer De Vacca

I really like it. Its the best all around version I have seen, I think most people will be happy with it.

4. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

I agree I like Jeremy's proposal. I vote yes to this!

5. Big D

Big D Walk On

Ok, hold up. I thought something was going to be included about paying guys this way:

"Issue #2: What about this creating loopholes with the cap?

Ok, this is where its rather simple.

If you are going to change a players position(under the given rules, and submitted for approval), then you will be forced to pay that player under the modifier of the #1 depth player at that position. FURTHERMORE, you will be forced to continue to pay the player that is at that position that still holds, or previously held the #1 depth spot at that position the #1 modifier.

For Example: If the Jets move DE Vernon Gholston to ROLB, the Jets will have to pay Vernon Gholston his contract with a 3 modifier, as well as OLB Calvin Pace, who previously was the #1 depth player at that position. So both players will get paid their contract with a modifier of 3(or whatever the desired position change modifier will be). Also, the player who steps in place for Gholston as the new DE on that side will assume the modifier of the #1 Depth player. For me, that would be I beleive Mike Devito.

The reason for this is 2-fold; First, any player who switches positions is usually good enough to start at that position. A player that isn't good doesn't switch positions. Position switches are usually reserved for those who either start, or are meant to play a very critical role on a team. Therefore they deserve to be payed like a starter, regardless. The second reason is to discourage players from trying to move too many players around, because they will be forced to pay two players the price of the starting modifier of that respected position. No one can take advantage of the capbook this way, and there must be a damn good reason to change them. No one is going to change their position if it isn't worth it."

-------------------------------------

Without what Scikotic is talking about here, the loopholes are friggin enourmous. Guys should have to pay a 'double dip' for position changes. . .

6. Big D

Big D Walk On

Also, one thing we need to specifiy is with the above. . .if they change a player back to just playing their normal position I don't think they should take the additional hit.

In my example if I move OLB English (77) to DE he would be paid at $700,000 at OLB, plus since he is an 89 at DE he would be paid $4,500,000 at DE. If i want him to just play OLB in season two, I dont think we can force them to continue double paying. His ORIGNINAL salary of $700,000 however can never go down ,even if he regresses.

I think that's how this should be handled.

Need to shor this area up tho.

7. Emmdotfrisk

In parallel with this issue, what about injuries? What if I declare TE Becht to be a FB and then my starting TE goes down. Am I required to pick up another TE, or can Becht go back to TE? This is just an example.

8. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Are we going to allow changes if its an EA screw up on the roster?

I have a guy asking about a CB in real life who EA has as a SS on the roster, thoughts?

9. Emmdotfrisk

unfortunately if we allow that a ton of things will come into effect, like Westbrook, coffey, ect. Nate decided to go with current rosters and that pertains to positions, ratings, and Free Agents.

10. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Ty sir.

11. wajomatik

I have a question, I start Olshansky at DE 80ovr, I also have him as my #2 DT where he is 87ovr (keep in mind I run a 3-4, and my OLB's are on the line in Dime and Nickel). So he is either on the field in my base 3-4 as a DE or as a DT when I am in Dime or Nickel. My question is do I change his ovr to 87 and keep him at starting DE in the book?

12. natedawg212000

First dun's response - i agree they pay 2 guys #1 money. I totally disagree about moving him back and getting his old salary back. If you give a guy a pay raise, you're not getting money back, he gets that for the life of his contract until you cut/trade him. It will cause guys from moving players back and forth.

To answer frisk, I think that if a player moves, thats their position. He can play the old position but his pay stays the same. So they can pick up a fb or a te but that te who was moved still gets his highest pay.

Also moving a te to fb the te will keep the highest salary, whatever it is.

The only issue I do see is this senerio.

Player A is a 2nd string TE (1/3 pay cut) and moves to #1 FB (1/2 pay cut). His FB salary is larger than the TE salary so he takes the FB salary. Year 2 that team loses their #1 TE so they move the TE/FB back to TE. His salary will have to change a 2nd time because this new #1 TE money will be greater than #1 FB money.

13. natedawg212000

Again, Jeremy and Dun and myself talked about this. A player will have to PICK a position. I still dont think DEs should be allowed to play DT, period. If you want to move them there you can as a permanent position swap, but not what Wajo described. I think we need to avoid that. We can't allow guys to have 1 stud who can play multiple positions.

14. wajomatik

Chew no answer my question senor

15. wajomatik

Why are you against the DE to DT if they meet all the criteria (size, speed, strength, etc.).?

16. natedawg212000

I am against you using one guy to play 2 positions and getting out of paying another player.

17. Emmdotfrisk

yeah this is a better example. I see plenty of ways around this what is stopping someone from using form subs exclusively to take advantage of guys being used at different positions. This would be incredibly hard to determine and monitor

18. natedawg212000

ya, theres nothing we can do about that other than not allow those subs (like hb/fb) but allow them as a position change. So in other words you can't put a Te and Fb but you can position swap a Te to Fb. Something along those lines.

19. wajomatik

How would I be getting out of paying another player? I would actually be paying more because Olshansky is 80ovr at RE with a modifier of 3. Putting him at my 2nd DT on my depth chart raises him to 87ovr at DT. He would now be considered 87ovr at RE with a modifier of 3. I still have to pay J. Saivii 67ovr as my second DT with a modifier of 2, so the system actually makes me have to pay more Olshansky for having him come in as DT in certain situations..

20. natedawg212000

dunlap sent me this:
    Yea tell them I don't agree about the having guys pay a guy for a position change for more than one year, if he moves back in the second season. If that makes sense

21. natedawg212000

..and ..
    But even tho I don't agree I vote yes.
    sterlingcoug
    As most of it is fine

22. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

Has this passed?

One way or another a decision needs to made on this tonite.

If we have passed it, what revisions need to be made to original post?

Nate suggests Speed limit for DT. I will add that.
    Anything else?

23. natedawg212000

I think that's it. As far as I know. So are you going to post position changes and position subs?

24. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I am very late to the game. Sorry, been getting used to a new work routine and a new place.

I think this is very good overall. I like forcing the starting modifier on a position changed player (even if that player is moving back to his original position). It makes teams THINK about doing it instead of just doing it. Strategy should be a part of this process, and I think that adds to the strategy portion.

If the other cap guys (Wajy and Dunn) are in favor of this and think we can handle it, I'm all for it. Let's do this!

25. wajomatik

I vote yes