Attention SE Members Feedback Needed

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by GoGators, Jan 4, 2010.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Attention SE Members Feedback Needed

Two quick notes guys.

1) The rules have been updated. Please take a quick read through them. I want to point out to our new coaches that the pass/run commit features are banned. Also, aggressive gameplan features are banned as well. You may use the defensive key feature though where you key on a WR/HB/TE.

2) The SE MVP Award

This has created a new dimension in our dynasty and I want to get your guys opinion on it. I feel that since we've created it, we've been getting some unrealistic stats from some, almost to the point where people are trying harder to get stats than win games. This to me is unacceptable. The SE dynasty is about fair competition and championships, not simply trying to win awards before all else.

I understand that a part of the college game is the ability of certain players to be impact players and put up sick numbers. Because of this, I don't want to limit people, however I must point out that rule O.11 Spreading the Ball Around addresses this quite clearly in that you need to approach the game from a sim style point of view trying to keep everyone involved.

What do you guys think? I like the award because it gives us something else to talk about and compete for during the year. However, I don't want it to become something that rewards cheesy gameplay.

2. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

What has been updated, I skimmed through them

3. GoGators

It's stated in #1. You were probably already aware of these rules, but they weren't explicitly stated in the rules thread. Now they are, so I just wanted to make sure everyone was up to date.

4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I understand what you mean. I also think sometimes guys tend to favor guys they can rely on. I know I look for green at WR before anyone else on most plays because he just gets open. At the same time it seems you can't exploit it though. The CPU does a decent job at trying to stop you and I feel I'm good offensively.

It's a tough thing to police because your not sure if it's blatant stat whoring or a team really leans on a particular guy. I guess the way to keep your eye on things is the final score and how that particular guy did in that game and go from there.

5. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Agree with Mo. I thought I may have been doing it with Harry but the guy dominates and it has showed in user games also. Against nc state though he only caught 2 passes and I had to look for other ways to get him the ball with some wr options plays

6. bfruchey

bfruchey Walk On

The box scores tell the tale and don't lie, especially if that guy is a WR or QB and your throwing for TD's late in games where you lead. You should also be trying to burn the clock late in the game-running the ball. If your blowing the opponent out in the third or fourth, you better be pulling your 1st string offense. If it's a user game, just pull your skill positions since you can't mass sub. If the cpu is saying your running it up or warns you, you're not playing legit.

I just joined OFFL East and it is horrible. scoring a TD with 0:00 left in the game when he won 56-10? Passing for TD's in the forth quarter when winning 70-13. Or this same guy using his starters into the forth quarter.

This is the same kind of play many of us are trying to avoid by becoming active members of these leagues. Way too many jerks on xbox live who abuse game design to win.

7. dharvey09

dharvey09 Walk On

agree I havent had a problem against any of the USER's ive played but I agree the whole point of the league is realistic so the stats should reflect that.

8. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

I looked up my stats for Boykin, which I will admit I am pushing for end of the year awards.

Boykin= 104 rec 17 TD
    Rest of the team= 132 rec 7 TD

He has caught 44% of my teams passes, which I say would be realistic for a go to star WR and 66% of the TD, again I think possibly sim. Most of my games have been close, (5-5 record) so I haven't purposely run up stats. Only blow out against Duke I massed subbed most of second half.

I would much rather trade a Heisman for a BCS title. I am just defending myself in case I am being called into question.

9. Beazus Christ

Beazus Christ Resident Smut Peddler

Two different issues were brought up, so Ill respond to both.

At what point do statistics become unrealistic? Records are made to be broken. Receivers do reach the 100 possession plateau. Players rush for 1,500 yards in season. I dont have a problem with big numbers, but if you're up big, you should pull your starters - which is a nonissue because I think every does that anyways. This brings me to a second (related) topic. Gameplay when winning big should be altered to keep in line with sim play, but it doesnt mean you should have to pound it up the middle for 2 yards each play. Look at my team (Clemson) for example. The starters have good numbers. However, once I get up big and its the middle of the 3rd quarter or beginning of the 4th quarter, I plug in the backups. I usually run the ball at this point, but I will throw the ball a little bit as well. And yes, I get negative sportsmanship points for this but the backups are in and Im throwing about 5 times over the period over a quarter and a half. I change up the play calling, but still want to get 1st downs. I dont see why that should be a problem.

OK thats all I got.

10. Beazus Christ

Agreed. This year, the Minnesota WR Eric Decker (before he got hurt) had about that much of the team's production (44% / 66%), if not more. If you have a stud, use him.

11. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Couldn't agree more.

12. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

You'd rather win the Heisman than the NC?

I think winning the NC is a whole lot more impressive.

13. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

My bad I meant trade a Heisman for a BCS title. I know say what you mean not mean what you say....

14. GoGators

Alright, I haven't provided input yet because I wanted to hear from just about everyone on this first.

I'm not calling anyone out on this. If you received a PM from me, then you have something to worry about, if not, you're fine.

However, I would like to note, that if reading this thread made you consider that I might be calling your gameplay into question, then perhaps you should reassess how you're handling your run at the individual trophies.

I have no problem with guys breaking records and putting up gaudy stats. You have to if you want to break records and that does happen, I can't call foul for that.

The issue is what your main focus for the game is. If it's in this order, we have a problem:
    1) Make sure my MVP candidate gets his stats.
    2) Win the game.

15. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Here's a few random thoughts.

In this dynasty (and not just this season) some guys have put up arcade type numbers (20+ sacks, 200 yards receiving per game, etc). I've always been a "spread the ball around" kind of guy and I probably do that too much (even though Wilson is having a big year for me here) as it's rare for me to have even a 1000 yard back or receiver in any dynasty, but some others seem to put up numbers that are too big. I'm not calling anyone at all out nor am I saying that anyone is exploiting or anything.. That being said, I have found some things that I could do that I would consider to be exploiting the CPU since they can not stop it. Because of that, I choose not to do it. It's kind of my own personal definition of exploiting that if the CPU can't stop it, it's an exploit. Because I choose not to run those plays (at all) I'll never have anyone put up huge yards. I think that maybe others have a looser personal definition of exploiting than I do as, by my own definition, it'd be tough to put up huge yards without "exploiting."

As for Gators' original post, huge numbers have nothing at all to do with the SE MVP award. If anyone will pad stats for this award, then I'm sure they're already padding stats for the Heisman or <insert other award name here>.

Negative sportsmanship points can often mean that you're running things up, but there are a lot of situations that are perfectly sim that get flagged by S.S.

16. Beazus Christ

Please tell me you aren't hating on Decker...

17. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

It looks like Decker hate (jealousy?) to me!

18. dharvey09

dharvey09 Walk On

Yes I agree with all of that. I had Brown having a huge year early on and than last few games did nothing but I won the games he did nothing in and stats shouldn't really matter.

tho I'm kinda happy because less of a chance he will leave early for the draft now aha