Attributes

Discussion in '12th Man Football' started by CaptMoe, Jan 9, 2013.

1. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

Ok, can we get some feedback from some of the guys who are more familiar with the XP system?

Which ones do you deem more important than others?
    Does it vary depending on position?
    For example, does a DB need more awareness, play recognition or pursuit? Or all of them?
    What is the difference between play recognition and awareness?
    Do you save up your XP to improve the higher ratings or build the areas your players are weak in?

Yes, I know it's been 4 months since the game came out...:p

2. redlishus

redlishus PMFL Staff - El Guesser

I have certain attributes I hit depending on how I utilize them. I told Marvis already so that is enough secret telling for me.

I usually max out the gatorade attribute.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

Seriously?
    We're asked to post questions on the forum to get some back and forth going, and the best you can come up with is "enough secret telling"?

4. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

I use my XP on stamina and whatever attribute I think would improve the player best at the position based on how I utilize him.

5. redlishus

Fine. For WR I throw them at route and release.

Please jam me at the line everyone!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hulk_hagen_55

Hulk_hagen_55 Hulkamaniac

moe. i honestly think it depends on what you want to do and what you dont want to do with your team. for me Oline gets almost always run block or awrness or impact, but passing teams would be different. for wrs i have physical freaks so i focus on route, release etc. linebackers definatly benefit from not only awr but play recongition, play rec imo is deadly for defenders, but is useless if there awr is already poor and arnt physically able to make the play

• Like Like x 1
  7. CHUNKNESS

bingo

• Like Like x 1
  8. LtJustice

LtJustice QSF Commissioner

I can echo what everyone else is saying, that it really depends what you want out of your players and on their position. I personally rarely save up for the really expensive stuff, but have bought a few select ones for key players with their offseason/simmed season accumulations. For instance I bought the clutch rating for Cam. May have been a total waste, who knows for sure.

As far as your question about the difference between awareness, pursuit, and play recognition, I can't say for sure, but will tell you my take on them. I believe awareness is what it has always been, just their overall football smarts with what's going on on the field. Play recognition I take to mean how easily the defender recognizes the type of play taking place (run vs. pass, playaction, etc.). I think they work hand in hand, but are different. As far as pursuit, I take that to mean how good they are at pursuing the ball carrier, the lines they take and what not. For a DB, I worry about their MCV/ZCV ratings first, then awareness, then play recognition. But for a defensive lineman, pursuit is near the top of my list.

But ultimately EA has still never given us an exact breakdown of what some of the ratings or characteristics do, and probably never will. So really all we can do is make an educated guess.

I personally look to progress my players every week, at least for the players that have built up a significant amount of xp. But I'm not saying I will just use it to use it, if a player doesn't have enough xp to improve an attribute I want for them, I will just wait until they do. For instance, on a player with very low AWR (like below 40), I see no point in wasting xp on trying to improve that attribute because it would take forever to build up.

I do have some players though that were decent in all but one attribute, which was very low, and I have spent a lot of xp to get that attribute to a decent range and made them a complete player. For example, my linebacker Luke Kuechly was a stud as a rookie in season 1 in just about everything except man coverage. He is now like a mid 70s man coverage player and has no real hole in his game. I want to say he started with a MCV rating in like the 50s, but it was worth the investment to get that up, since most of his other attributes were already very good. Now I can have him in coverage on a passing downs or blitzing and he is very capable at both.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

Ok, i edited my post as Jim had already answered it.
    So basically, after reading all of these, I've come to the conclusion, TROY :p , that it's no secret as we're all pretty much doing the same thing.
    Thanks for the input guys.
    By all means, if anyone wants to keep adding, please feel free to do so...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  10. LtJustice

LtJustice QSF Commissioner

Also, the age of a player will be taken into consideration when making decisions on progression. If it's an old timer that I may only have for this season, then it's not worth trying to improve something that will take a long time to improve. In that vase, I just try to focus on getting the most I can out of them in the short term. Maybe improving what they are already good at for instance, instead of trying to fix holes in their game that I won't have enough time with this player to improve.

• Like Like x 1
  11. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

I think things like Awareness and Play Recognition are very important for guys that you normally dont user control- possibly o-linemen, d-lineman, linebackers and defensive backs; could be wrong but i usually tend to up those attributes almost regularly

Another thing to remember, traits can be pretty important also, but certain traits are useless on certain positions- like for QBs, bying those traits like Tuck and Run, Forces Passes, Senses Pressure, Throw Ball Away do not matter to human controlled players. Also buying clutch for linemen is a waste like that, punters too. There's an article out there about this that explains some, but not all of this stuff

• Like Like x 2
  12. redlishus

I'll tell you all what. There's one attribute that I hammered home on a player that has paid HUGE dividends for me. Not saying what it is because I like to be vague (right cry_havoc) . If you can guess what it is, I'll give you a pat on the back...

13. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

I would only use XP for accuracy and power on my kickers. And yes, I agree I wouldn't up those attributes for a QB either...

14. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

Clutch?

15. redlishus

No sir... Good guess though. Never really applied any to that one. Regardless, I love the fact that I can make my player how I want them to be.

• Like Like x 2
  16. cry_havoc

cry_havoc Walk On

Haha good ole Troy... always good for a laugh

17. MoonBBad

MoonBBad http://twitch.tv/moonbbad

What is your guys' thoughts on traits? I've been working hard to get my guys' consistency traits built up to 2-3 across the board before I go nuts on the attributes.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Hulk_hagen_55

Hulk_hagen_55 Hulkamaniac

well consistency isnt really the best for all types of players. its going to make them play closer to their actual attributes and limit cold streaks, but on the other side it limits their hot streaks to a degree. its a preference really. but for traits, big hitter trait (just look at matthews in game.. and out) or the cover ball, open catches, are all decent options, imo each payer is a different case, so i try and take it case by case

• Like Like x 2
  19. thoov08

thoov08 Walk On

Does anyone else spend XP on consistency? I haven't spend a single point on it for any player.

I've always tried sticking to the more specialized ratings for positions (throw power/acc for QB, route running/catch for WR, etc). The "athletic" ratings like speed and agility are just so expensive and I feel like there is more value building up these specialized types of ratings.

20. CHUNKNESS

I am of the same opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  21. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

me too...