Auburn upsets Georgia with a great performance

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Hellisan, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Auburn upsets Georgia with a great performance

Auburn hosted Georgia and made the most of the energy of the home crowd.

They struggled a bit in the early going as Georgia was playing with great energy and the defenders were seeing the ball and going to get it. We had two interceptions in that first half, returning one of them for a touchdown.

Auburn's field goal to start the game was followed up with a 14-yard touchdown run by Thomas Cody, who eluded an insta-blitz off play action in the backfield then ran forward looking for a receiver but found none. He had an easy time up the middle.

The following drive Reshad Jones intercepted Kody Burns and returned it 72 yards for a touchdown. It looked like Georgia was rolling.

In my opinion the game-changing "moment" was not a moment at all but a 13-play, nearly 5-minute drive in which we tried everything in our defensive playbook and still could not stop Auburn from marching down the field. Xavier Barnes topped off the drive with a 13-yard touchdown run off tackle. It looked like Georgia was too tired to give chase.

On the ensuing kickoff, my wideout was running at full speed but then let the defender stop him dead in his tracks and strip the ball free. It was returned for a touchdown. With a minute left, we put together a quick drive and then kicked a field goal to go into halftime tied at 17-17.

We got the ball back to start the second half and the Auburn D ripped another ball free, then scored on a 1-yard QB keeper to take a 7-point lead. We tried to stay in the game, which was turning into a shootout due to our lapses and inability to hold on to the football, as we scored on a 2-yard run to tie it.

The Auburn offense had an answer for everything we tried in the second half. I felt like I knew what was coming a few times but manually was not able to make the plays. you're not going to stop anything auburn does without manually doing it, they know the game too well. And as I whiffed on play after play attempting to do it manually I could feel the game slipping away.

A.J. Green helped them to salt it away by fumbling twice after that, both times on long gains down the field.

Just a bad day all around for us, a good performance by them, and that's all she wrote.

2. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Final score?

And I agree Ramirez knows this game well. When he gets the "A" talent that most teams do, I think he'll get a title.

3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

48-24, or thereabouts.

4. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

nice summary......it was 24--24 when i checked...then 5 mins later it was 38-24.......huge turnaround in points in a short time. Auburn and Georgia turning into a nice rivalry!

5. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Yeah it didn't take long for us to throw the game away. Similar to what we did at the end of the first half last time. Except this was the entire second half.

6. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

When I read that summary there is an inaccuracy. Not that it matters but when my WR fumbled on the kickoff they just recovered. The returned fumble for 51 yards might have been Green's. I can't even recall, there were too many of them.

7. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

This was the first game that my QB looked like a freshman. He was pretty confused out there, missed one wide open guy deep on the sideline by 20 yards, then in key situation missed easy passes. Factor in a few drops and all those fumbles... You can imagine my consternation.

8. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

well then thats not bad......1 bad game for a freshman....ill take it. Considering the draft class you are bringing in......should be a nasty combination soon.

those 2 corners you got......so jealous

9. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

One of the two corners I really like. The other is totally "meh."

Tennessee got far and away the best one, a 3-star :) (#30 cb CLARK)

10. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Hey what happened to your position by position recruit rankings that you had last year? :mad:

11. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I liked to have something to compare to.

Oh by the way tough loss. Opens the door for a lot of teams. A LOT of teams.

12. jfosh

jfosh Super

Same thing I looked at the score and it was all tied. then you see the final. For sure had to be some turnovers in there. Either way Georgia is facing someone from Alabama in the SEC championship.

13. MRamirez

MRamirez Go Devils!

Auburn came in hungry for a win against Georgia after failing miserably against LSU the last go around. The game against LSU was a comedy of errors and playing with a a 4 year old who kept asking me to make dinner because the wife was out of town did not help. I felt like a dick afterwards telling her to go away about 100 times.

Georgia has a very smart coach and is definitely a student of the game. I made a change in my game calling just last week. I would normally call plays from the play type screens.... You know the ones that say run, pass, option, etc.

I switched it up and I am now running plays out of the formation screens. It has absolutely opened up the playbook for me and I've slowed the game down a little bit by using my head a little more.

As for the game, Georgia jumped out on top 14-3 on some nice running and and some real clean plays underneath. You can't really blitz Helli a ton because he sees it right away and will always have a "hot route" if he senses it even a little bit. Needless to say I was worried.

I had to punt down 14-3 and he ended up around his 41 yard line. Helli ran on 1st down for 9 yards and here is when the game turned, I stopped him on 2nd and 1, & 3rd and 1, leaving a 4th and 2 and chance to get back in by forcing a punt.

I had a real long drive and started to really mix it up well. I scored to close the gap to 14-10. The next drive he came out and on the first play hit A.J. Green over the middle for what looks like a big-gain and "pow" my DB lights him up and I return a fumble to go up 17-14. At that point, I knew I was back in, and hoped he would start to feel a little pressure.

Helli drove and was at the Auburn 1 with 8 seconds and no timeouts. (he was in hurry up mode). I called timeout because I figured I would have a better chance stopping him if I set up in Goalline. I was pleasantly surprised to see him line up for the FG to tie the score at 17 going into half.

I kicked to him to open the second half and luckily I was able to strip the ball. That play allowed me to finally get the upper-hand in the game (24-17). Helli then scored to tie me at 24.

After that it was all Auburn as I played some real precise football to close the game. Amen!

Final Score:
    Auburn-45
    Georgia-24

14. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

So if Miami beats Clemson in the ACC title game, I get to play....Boise St. Whoop de fucking doo!

15. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

You wont be able to stop em....and you will be the first user to lose to the cpu in a national title game.

16. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

I said MIAMI vs Boise St....not V Tech, we know how to play defense remember

17. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    lmao....

18. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

boooooo.... LSU posting this on their wall for next season. Auburn never gives them the respect they deserve after the hide tannings they are laying on War Eagle.

19. MRamirez

MRamirez Go Devils!

I just hope your schedule is a little more accomodating for me next time. I hope if you say your going to be there for the game that indeed is the case. I also hope if the game starts and we drop that you answer the xbox and text messages this time.

20. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

hey man, things come up sometimes... you know that's not normal operating procedure for me... i told you to sim it.. you didn't, we played.. you lost. I see your going to come up with every excuse other than i outplayed you to explain your loss against me.

21. jfosh

jfosh Super

Helli has Boise St. on his schedule so they are not going. We need Texas to loose and then you should play a one loss human team.

22. jfosh

jfosh Super

I agree a big boooooo.... Come on Auburn its two years in a row no need for excuses just get a win. They did it to you on your home field. Now you have to go back to LSU. 3 in a row is a big possibility.

23. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Word has it that Boise State has come up with a big incentive for Coach Richt to sit key players in this game, saving them for the SEC title matchup. (y)

24. jfosh

jfosh Super

Thats a team that feels like they dont have a chance. Georgia is ranked ahead of Auburn in the coaches poll. They beat #2 team in the country, followed by beating #7 Georgia Tech, and finish off against one loss Alabama or Auburn and they have a shot.

It all depends on Texas IMO. Who plays Texas A&M and they also have their Conference Championship.

Did you look at the 2 polls? There is a big difference between the Coach's poll and the Media.

25. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

i thought (atleast last i looked) there were 4 cpu teams undefeated? are all 4 playing a user down the stretch?