Backbreaker Football

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by GoGators, Jan 27, 2010.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Backbreaker Football

Introducing a new football game......Backbreaker!

Here's a link to some info about it at operation sports:

http://www.operationsports.com/preview.php?id=91
    (My favorite part is the defensive camera. You'll actually get a defensive experience instead of just looking at the exact same thing that the QB is looking at and trying to jump his routes)

And for your viewing pleasure, check out this video. EA's been making football games for a decade and a half and they continue to give us the same boring plays that don't work with the same boring animations and no physics. At least this looks refreshing and non-repetitious. I know the players look a little cheesy, but they actually run like a human being and the tackles look awesome and are different everytime, instead of the same boring and crappy animations where the guy gets tackled to his butt but magically morphs into falling 4 yards forward. This is these guys 1st year making a football game and it already looks more interesting than any game EA's put out from a physics and gameplay standpoint.
    [YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F95Z2wkiUNs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F95Z2wkiUNs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TBNdjQox0W4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TBNdjQox0W4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PRCWbUYtitY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PRCWbUYtitY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

2. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

I will defiantly give it a try, should be refreshing

3. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Physics = A+
    Graphics = F-

Although EA should have thought of this after next gen GTA came out, you know developing those physics for a sports game weren't easy. In fact, I heard about this project a LONG time ago. It's obvious where they spent all of their dev resources.

Glad someone else is at least stepping up to the plate to force EA to make themselves better.

4. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Only reason it's been so long is because their a small company. I'll create NFL teams to have something refreshing. If I can get a sim experience out of it, Madden is a no buy for me next year. Canned animations are starting to drive me crazy.

Edit: Even the crowd reacts correctly, lol.

5. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

All of their jerseys have built in 6 packs.

6. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

Looks like it has potential, but its like anything else...Brand Name. If it doesn't have the Madden of NCAA tag no one will buy. Well at least not enough to push EA into making any advances in their product.

7. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

It reminds me of NFL Blitz

8. GoGators

This is exactly what's wrong with EA though. They worry so much about grahics and forget about physics and gameplay.

You could give me 11 guys that looked like Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble and I would care less so long as the game actually played like it was suppose to.

9. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Different strokes for different folks.

I want the game to look as real as it should feel. But maybe that's me shooting for the stars again. The fact is, from a business standpoint, you can't sell a game that doesn't look good. If they had the best gameplay in the world, everyone would be complaining about how much the graphics suck (if you really think about it, you know it's true).

10. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

I do agree with drift....but its worth renting for a week to try out...if good enough and gets me...ill buy it

11. GoGators

I hear what you're saying and agree that in an ideal world this would be true. However, EA after 15 years, still hasn't provided us with an ideal world so I'm not on the same ship with ya.

Also, i think the graphics are pretty sweet. The players actually cut and shift their weight. They actually respond to how they get tackled. They run like actual human beings with their feet actually hitting and pushing off the ground.

If you think about it, the graphics are actually not that bad. Yeah, the players look a little silly, but that's because they can't model them after the NFL guys since they don't have the license.

I'm not saying that this game will be great or even better from a sim standpoint than EA's games. However, I will acknowledge that at least these guys are on the right track and have made huge progress in two years of development. I don't think you can say the same for EA. Yeah their graphics look better but the game play isn't that sound and the players don't move the way a normal human being would. Watch a replay next time of your HB running down the sideline, his feet don't even touch the ground and his legs constantly make the same animation whether he's cutting or sprinting straight ahead. I hardly think that makes for better graphics.

But I'll digress, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

12. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Graphics was just a point. Despite our constant struggle with EA on producing a game that we can agree is realistic, they do a great job in other areas. Realistic stadium models, uniforms, gameplay features (not talking about season showdown), playbooks, recruiting, etc.

My point is that just because this game has a physics model, doesn't make it better or more developed. The player models look like something off an arcade (and that is truly the style of play they are aiming for). Think of blitz but with better physics. EA knows they lack in this area and that's why they are heavily considering the locomotion engine.

Don't get me wrong, Backbreaker is pretty cool (just play GTA and walk out in front of a speeding car to see how cool this engine is), but I don't think it will come close to providing us what we want. Like I said, this is a great thing for us because it will push everyone in the right direction... and I can't wait.

13. GoGators

100% agree.

EA has tried to get so sim, and has come up short, that sometimes I feel they have simmed the fun out of the game. It's so repititious at times that you get burnt out (which maybe I'm getting now). That's one thing I've tried to hit hard on over at EA on their forum for gameplay feedback is that they need to bring back the ability of the ball carrier to do different things like cut back across the grain and such. With the way the game plays now (mind you I run out of the spread) it's basically hand it off and speed burst because the o-line doesn't block and open holes like they should by turning their man nor do they hold their blocks long enough. Then, the juke moves are cheesy, I'd rather make a guy miss by making two cuts than the silly juke move on the controller. It just feels like everything has gotten hard coded and all the freestyle of the game is gone. I miss 98 and 99 when guys could over persue and you could cut back and stuff like that.

I especially like the defensive camera angle they are bringing with this game though. It should make for an interesting change of pace.

14. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

I don't like the fact that every player on the field looks exactly the same.

15. uncleho

uncleho Walk On

I enjoyed the defensive camera and the split screen view for coop play is a great idea. The tackling, cuts, and running all look fantastic. Hopefully in the future the players won't all look like cyborgs.

16. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Its too blitz-esque for me. even though they might kickstart something in the motion of players and I dont like most of those camera angles. I dont like how they put the camera movement in NCAA this year where it moves on certain pass plays

17. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I just feel that people should know... TF isn't a place to bash any of the games that we play. There are plenty of other forums to go to bash Ea games.

Not that you're bashing HERE GoGators but just in case...

18. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Graphics stink, the physics as already mentioned are ok but a bit over the top imo.

If EA could mix in some of those gang tackle type animations and reactions the game would be untouchable.

The customization is also a neat thing. Someone out there will make NFL teams outta that game and then we may have something.

19. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

I like bashing :confused:

How about...EA and these guys work together..

Oh yeah..that'd be too good of an idea

20. GoGators

That's what I was thinking too. I'd imagine that EA would potentially buy these guys out but I'm not sure how large Natural Motion and 505 sports are.

21. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

A few new videos of this game have been released since we last discussed the game:

Developer Diary #1:
    [youtube]QnETQmCMrx8[/youtube]

TV Commercial:
    [youtube]gzOSwUqgwgE[/youtube]

22. GoGators

I know the player models look funny but you have to admit that the movement is so fluid and lifelike. I think it's a great example of what can be acheived in a video game.

Also, the tackle animations are pretty slick. The one where the dude goes John Elway and gets helicoptered while diving in the air is awesome. Never seen that in an EA game. Plus, I didn't see any twitchy running or movements. I applaude the effort here and hope this is a big step for sports gaming.

23. GoGators

Also, there's no tron jogging or time shifting. Guys only move their weight when their feet hit the ground. An awesome concept.

24. Dj391

Dj391 Walk On

I agree this game has great realistic physics, i mean the bodies react exactly how a players would to being hit, the hittings more real. Madden and ncaa really need to look into these types of things because if they had this i would never get tired of either ever. The hittings repetative, the animations are cheesy and it just gets old real fast.

That being said i would only rent this game not buy it ever, the players look retarded, no realness to it being like real nfl.... dont want it

25. Rudy

Rudy Pumped for NCAA 11

No sports game is ever good on their first try and we have a British team of developers doing it too? I doubt this game will be good. Even if the gameplay is decent the lack of real teams will doom this from the start. Seriously, if APF 2K8 failed with an engine that people liked (and this was it's 7th iteration) along with Hall of Fame NFL players, what kind of chance does Backbreaker have at all?