Backward Compatibility with PS3

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Stykman, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Stykman

Stykman RC & MEGA Historian

Backward Compatibility with PS3

Mags lied to me.

My 80 GB PS3 "isn't compatible with PS2 Format"...but it will play some PS1 Games...whatever.

It's not a BIG deal because I am not getting rid of my PS2, but I was wondering if ANY PS3 will play PS2 Games. I saw somewhere that different versions of PS3 are fully backward compatible??? It would just be a space saver to have 1 console in the cabinet as opposed to 2. I already have a Wii, Intellivision, N64, NES, and SNES in there. Getting a little cramped.

2. scarface

scarface Walk On

mine plays ALL PS2 games I have.IF you have the OLD versions the 20 or 60 gig version then YES you have full HARDWARE compatability. but these systems are not sold anymore, you could find oe at gamestop perhaps.

NOW if you bought the 40 gig you are SOL for PS2 games.

The 80 gig version plays PS2 games through softwre emulation which isnt bad but not the way they used to do it.

3. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

yeah the 20 and 60 gigs are backwards compatible. all other ps3's are not.

4. gt86

gt86 Walk On

5. I-ROD

I-ROD Walk On

So does mine GT.. Kids ahve a ton of PS2 games and they work on both PS3 I have..

6. Stykman

Stykman RC & MEGA Historian

ok, so I bought an 80, and it's not compatible. So it looks like the PS2 will staying the cabinet.

Now the million dollar questions are, #1 - why did they make some that did and some that didn't? and #2 - WTF did they take that ability away for?

7. scarface

scarface Walk On

#1. Cheaper to make and get more money
    #2. cheaper to make and get more money

they did it to cut costs but then it seemed people got pissed off and they added it back in.

Cant ya trade it in for one that does?

8. I-ROD

I-ROD Walk On

Not sure why they did that with the 2nd generation 80 Gigs! I have the original 1st generation 80 and plays PS 2 games and purchased a 2nd 80 gig about 3 months ago but noticed they also took away the SD/Mini SD/Flash memory dock as well so I'm guessing feed back was there was no need for this.