Baltimore Sun

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by weblink21, Jan 13, 2010.

1. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

Baltimore Sun

January 13, 2010

Baltimore Suns Top 10 Players in the Draft

Here's my top 10 players coming out in this year's draft:

1. James English - QB, Stanford (6'3", 229)
    This kid has heard the rumors of him being a John Elway clone. He had a lot of pressure on him with those expectations going to Stanford. Well, he did not disappoint. At Stanford, he had 374 completions on 501 attempts, 3486 yards, and 42 touchdowns with only 6 interceptions. He has a ROCKET for an arm and can make any throw at any time.

2. Kelly James - QB, Miami (6'3", 225)
    There has been a lot of back and forth about who is the top QB in the draft. Some say English, but there are just as many that think that James will be the best. James was the QB for the national championship Miami Hurricanes, so he knows a little about winning. James did not have a lot of help at WR or a running game, which makes his stats even more impressive. James completed 425 passes on 601 attempts for 4413 yards and 47 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. English and James will be linked to each other their entire careers. If you give James a WR core that can make some plays, my money is on James coming out as the best.

3. Josh Snead - ROLB, Ole Miss (6'0", 240)
    I want you to for a minute forget the fact that Snead was injured last year. I want you to remember that as a junior, Snead had 135 tackles, 27 for loss, with 14 1/2 sacks, 3 interceptions, and 9 pass deflections. That was one of the greatest seasons that I have ever witnessed from a collegiate OLB. If Snead had come out last year, he would have been the #1 pick in a landslide. Snead is a physical specimen with all the tools you look for. If he can stay healthy (which I think he will), the kid will be a fixture in the OMFL Pro Bowl.

4. Torian Watts - LOLB, Alabama (6'0", 218)
    Watts had 103 tackles, 27 for loss. Watts also lead the team with 13 1/2 sacks. Watts is a little on the smaller side (he weighed in at 218 at the combine). Injuries are a bit of a concern, but when on the field, Watts has a chance to be a star.

5. Jevon Jackson - LT, Florida (6'8", 325)
    Do you remember former #1 overall pick Orlando Pace? Well this guy is Pace reincarnated. Jackson has been known to block an entire left side of a defensive line by himself. We know that LT's are not usually a “sexy†pick, but if you are a running team looking to get better, this mammoth is the guy that you want.

6. Joey Keller - HB, Illinois (5'10", 208)
    In the OMFL, speed kills. Keller was the fastest man at the combine this year. He has the blazing speed that has brought comparisons to Chris Johnson and Felix Jones. The only knock on Keller is whether he can stay healthy, which he was not able to do in college.

7. Mark Jackson - MLB, New Mexico (6'0", 238)
    What can we say about Mark Jackson. He was my favorite college player to watch last season. An absolute tacking beast, Jackson shined in his junior year before declaring for the draft. Jackson led the WAC in tackles all 3 years he was there. In his junior year, he had 121 tackles, with 21 for loss. He also pitched in with 9 sacks. There may not be a tougher player in this draft. I (as well as others) have called him a young Brian Urlacher since the first time I saw him play as a true freshman starter.

8. Will Barkley -SS, Florida (5'11", 226)
    Hey Barkley, Bob Sanders just called me and his wants his playing style back. This kid has a nose for the ball like no other. Barkley is a tough player that enjoys making tackles. I can not say enough about how good I think he has the chance to be.

9. Laron James - HB, Northern Arizona (5'10", 222)
    James is a very talented back from 1-AA Northern Arizona. Last year he carried the ball 242 times for 2078 yards and 24 TDs. James has the speed (clocked at a 4.24) to be a very good back in the OMFL, but questions of how his game will translate from 1-AA seems to be the only thing holding him back from being a top 5 pick. We will see how this plays out on draft day.

10. Adam Saint - TE, Colorado State (6'2", 231)
    If you are looking for a pass catching tight end, then look no further. Saint is one of the best pass catching TE’s to enter the draft in recent memory. Last year at Colorado State, he led the team with 102 catches for 1572 yards and 14 touchdowns.

2. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I like it. Taking the fake stats and making your own top 10. Good stuff Web.

3. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

January 14, 2010

1. Baltimore Ravens - QB Jack English - Even though Flacco is in the nest, they cannot pass on this much talent. Our bet is that they trade Flacco to pick up some RB help.

2. New York Jets - RB Joey Keller - Thomas Jones is not getting any younger and they already have a solid QB of the future. Keller is the fastest RB in the draft by far and will really help to take pressure off Sanchez.

3. San Francisco 49ers - QB Kelly James - James, Shaun Hill or Tyler Thigpen. That’s what we thought.

4. Miami Dolphins - LOLB Torian Watts -Watts would be perfect to bolster a lackluster linebacking crew.

5. Arizona Cardinals - ROLB Josh Sneed - So many ways for the Cards to go, but we think they will stick to the defensive side of the ball and take Sneed.

6. Cleveland Browns - MLB - Mack Jackson - This is a team with ALOT of needs. We think they go BPA with this pick and take Jackson to play in the middle.

7. Washington Redskins - SS Will Barkley - Right now their start Strong Safety is Chris Horton. Unless they can get a better one in FA, they take Barkley to fill the hole.

8. Detroit Lions - LT Jevon Jackson -- With Stafford, Megatron and Kevin Smith, the Lion are building what could be a great offense. They drafted Stafford last year with the #1 pick in the draft. This year they protect that investment.

9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - RB Laron James - When the idiotic ex-owner of the Bucs traded away MVP candidate Jonathon Stewart for DLine help, the new owner was left with a huge void at RB. James will fill that void.

10. Denver Broncos - QB Dane Morrow - They need a QB. Kyle Orton may be the worst QB I have seen in the OMFL this season.

WebLink21

4. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

January 15, 2010

Ravens leaning toward drafting English?

Jack English came to the Ravens training facilities yesterday for a private workout. The team was believed to just be doing their due diligence on the strong armed QB from Stanford, but may have walked away with stars in their eyes. The Ravens had their top 2 receivers (Lance Moore and Hakeem Nicks) and RB Ray Rice attend the private workout. English wowed scouts with his arm strength and pinpoint accuracy. When asked about the English workout, Moore responded, "I am going to personally go into coach Link's office today and tell him to draft this kid. I see Pro-Bowls in both of our futures if he is here." Nicks was a little shorter with his response. When asked for a reaction, Nicks said simply, "WOW!" We will see how this all plays out in the upcoming weeks. If the Ravens are to draft English, the next question becomes what to do with starting QB Joe Flacco. Flacco was drafted 2 years ago as the QB of the future. Flacco was believed to be the reason that the Ravens were not willing to spend the top pick in the draft on English, but after yesterday’s workout, it is now all up in the air. Look for the Ravens to actively shop both Flacco and the #1 pick in the next few weeks to get the best deal for the future of the team.

Other Ravens Notes:

So far the Ravens have not received much interest in DT Kevin WIlliams. "We have talked to a few teams, but nothing beyond asking what we are looking for in return." The Ravens are believed to be willing to keep the run stopping DT in the nest next year if a proper offer is not made. Link joked, "Hey if the end result is that we still have one of the best DT's in the league on the team then I am not going to lose too many nights of sleep over it."

The Ravens have talked to the Broncos about the #1 pick in the draft, but talks stalled when WR Larry Fitzgerald was asked as part of the return.

Draft notes:

League sources have confirmed that Philadelphia Eagles and New York Jets are looking to make moves on draft day, but in opposite directions. The Eagles are believed to be looking to move up in the draft, possible all the way to the top while the Jets look to trade down and pick up extra picks/players. Could we see a match?