Bama bounces Virginia Tech

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by jfosh, Nov 30, 2009.

1. jfosh

jfosh Super

Bama bounces Virginia Tech

Tuscaloosa--

Alabama sat idle for a week after losing to Auburn and had a lot of prep time for this one. The game plan was to keep QB Ju Ju Clayton out of rythm and focus on limiting TE Logan Thomas' impact. Can't say either of them happened.

What Alabama did well was keep the potent Hokie offense on the sideline. Bama won the TOP game 21:14 to 10:46. Alabama received the ball and pounded its way down the field into the Hokie red zone. HB Jeremy Griffith took a hand off around the right side and got his legs taken out and coughed up the ball and VT took it back 92 yards for the games first score. Bama went back to work but only came up with a FG. It was late in the 1st qtr before Clayton took to the field. The Hokies had 2 rushing plays one on third down that left them inches away on fourth. They were forced to punt, and would only rush another 3 times in the game. Bama would control the ball and add a score to go up 10-7.

Tech would only need 38 seconds on its next drive to take the lead caped by a 38 yard reception and bruising run by Mackey lock TE Thomas. Bama would eat up the remaining 3:18 seconds and score going into half to thake the lead 17-14.

The third opened quickly for V.T. when Clayton found Thomas again for 34 a yard TD. That drive took a whopping 60 seconds. Bama would score quickly themselves using their TE Brad Smelley for 54 yard TD pass from QB Star Jackson. An interception by Clayton on the next drive gave Bama good field position. Back up QB Aaron McCarron would be called on this drive after Jackson left the game for good with a strained pectoral. McCarron rose to the occasion finding Smelley for his second TD and pushed the lead to 31-21. VT would cut the lead to 7 with a FG towards the end of the 3rd quarter.

Bama would add another passing TD in the 4th to WR Kendall Kelly on a ball Kelly had to contort back to grab and the VT defender went for the pick and Kelly walked in for the score. Down 38-24 with 4:14 to go VT had a 4th and 4 and opted to kick the FG and play some D. The Hokies had the Tide in the 3rd down situation they were looking for (Bama was 15-18 on 3rd down for game) but gave up a long pass up the seam to Kelly that ended up being a 57 yard score. VT would add another TD but ran out of time.

Final BAMA 45 VT 33

The Tide will be playing the waiting game now. They finished with a win over a Top 10 team but still need some help in the Conference championships and a loss by USF. Although it rarely happens the Tide will be rooting for an Auburn win against Tennessee.

Passing

McCarron 6-7 3TD 150 yards
    Jackson 15-16 2 TD 227 yards

Exum 6-8 1TD 87 yards
    Clayton 20-27 2 TD 336 yards 1 INT

Rushing

Griffin 31 att 105 yards 1 TD
    Marrow 5 att 24 yards

Wilson 5 att 6 yards

Receiving

Smelley 5 rec 109 yards 2 TD's
    McIntire 5 rec 60 yards
    Griffin 3 rec 34 yards
    Kelly 3 rec 94 yards 3 TD's
    McQueen 3 73 yards

Thomas 8 rec 128 yards 3 TD's
    Fuller 5 rec 92 yards
    Ellis 4 rec 69 yards
    Coles 3 51 yards
    McCoy 2 39 yards

2. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I needed a break on this game and besides the fumble. I did not stop I or get any other turnovers. My secondary did not make plays at all besides sold tackling. Good game nothin really pissed me off. I played well and with a gameplan.

3. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

HD video will be processed today

4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    geez precise passing by both of you guys...

Bama now neeeds a little bit of help to get in...it can be done, just ask Georgia last year

5. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Well I am a offensive guru and my defense sucks. That explain it for you!

6. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

7. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member