Bama outlasts Georgia, 24-22

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Mogriffjr, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Bama outlasts Georgia, 24-22

In what was the 1st big time game of the year, it certainly delivered as both coaches played conservative yet played a clean game and it resulted in a great finish.

Georgia knows what they are and that's a ball control offense. With James Scales, they have a QB who has the ability to take over a game with his arm and legs. Meanwhile on Bama's side, you have a star RB in Richardson who is a workhorse, similar to one of the all-time Bama RB's in Mark Ingram.

This game would be all about who can get that turnover key in the game...but that never happened.

Bama relied heavily on star RB T.Richardson and he delivered, rushing for 146 yards on 27 carries. On total, Bama ran the ball 35 times on the game and controlled TOP, 17:58 to 14:02. Meanwhile Georgia had 27 rushes, with their big time RB Mike Anderson running for 96 yards on 18 carries. Georgia was more balanced offensively with Scales completing 15 of 21 passes for 237 yards and a TD with Mike Brown (yes the 6'5" beast) being his #1 target as he caught 5 balls for 166 yards and the lone TD.

So what was the difference? Again Bama controlled TOP and Richardson seemingly kept the ball moving when they needed a 1st down. A 14-0 run put Bama up on Georgia 24-16 with 7:15 to go. Georgia kept it's poise and let Scales do his thing as he led Georgia down the field. With 3:34 Georgia hit paydirt when Anderson ran it in from 3 yards out. Down 24-22, the unquestioned move was to go for two to tie the game. Georgia lined up and called slants. Scales tried to pass to his left but the ball was tipped at the line and fell harmlessly to the turf. Georgia wouldn't sniff the ball again as Bama ran off the rest of the time, leading to a huge 24-22 win over the Bulldogs.

2. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Richardson was key in this game. He rarely went down on first contact. After Helli's last score with 3 minutes left a stop would've given UGA a chance to win, but Richardson ate up yardage, often going for 7 or 8 on first down.

3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

We couldn't get Bama off the field. This has been a recurring problem with my team and everybody seems to know this now. I wanted to run the 3-4 but I'll have to go back to the multiple next year because this just is NOT working.

I'd hate to see what the time of possession was. Kind of a boring game, but a great performance by Bama and they really limited what we were able to do out there.

4. Blaza

Yeah I'm kinda surprised that so many people are using that 3-4. To me its just not strong enough against the run.

5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I mean TOP wasn't TERRIBLE for you (you ain't read what i wrote :( ) but it was 17:58 Bama, 14:02 Georgia.

6. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Guilty as charged!

In fact I didn't even know you wrote it, I figured the happy victor did. Thank you very much. I'll read it now, lol.

7. Blaza

Hence the reason people don't do writeups much anymore lol.

8. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Well that's a smart aleck remark! ;)

TBH I was just so disappointed in the way our defense played that I didn't wanna read what (I thought) Fosh wrote. I played in the game, I didn't need to know what happened. I just figured I'd reply in an attempt to be a good sport. :D They played a remarkably clean game so give them credit. In fact this is the first time Fosh has beaten me in the Tradition league. We had an EPIC game in the side league last year that went to like three overtimes that he won. But in this one I'd won them all somehow, someway. He avoided all the traps I'd thrown before and just kept wrecking our shop with the running game. UGH.

9. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I like how me and mo watched the whole game for an hour with no comments, and then with a minute left all of a sudden ten viewers show up and start talking about how they have the perfect hail marry play and have never been beaten before.

10. Blaza

Hahaha, just bustin your testicles. You were in position to win though. Your run D let you down late.

11. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Yeah his RB is a fucking BEAST dude. There were runs where he broke three tackles and was threatening to break a fourth before we ganged up on him. Anderson's also a beast. Did you get the impression watching the game that I should have run him more? Or did we do the right thing attempting to mix it up and make them respect the pass? I feel like if I'd just tried to shove it down their throat all day I wouldn't have been successful due to their 99 OVR guys at almost every position on the front 7.

12. Blaza

I thought UGA looked good offensively. Marlon Brown was making nice grabs and I mentioned in the chatroom that Scales was fitting some nice balls into coverage.

Its tough to run when you're down, but I personally would've tried to get Anderson the ball a little more--mostly because he was having success.

13. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Alls I know is that if my offensive line could open up some huge holes for me like they did for both of you guys I would be very happy, but would still chuck the rock 25-30 times.

14. jfosh

jfosh Super

Alabama left this one bruised and battered. This is what you expect when you play a team from the SEC East. Fans and viewers got good show.

I like coach helli thought this game would hinge on what defense could come up with big stops or the big turnover. Neither defese was able to supply the big pick and both teams have stud running backs so fumbles were a long shot. Bama's defense was able to force 3 Georgia field goals, including one on the opening drive with the Bulldogs threating inside the Tide 5.

The Tide offense continually got good yardage on 1st down and was able to run the ball on 2nd and long situations. This allowed QB Star Jackson to keep his routes short on 3rd downs when they needed to pass.

Alabama had Mark Ingram the first 3 years, a great back, but one who just did not show up for the big user games. Ingram was often injured or fumbled in the most untimely situations but posted huge numbers against the CPU.

Now, HB Trent Richardson is proving to be a different kind of back. I can't say enough about this guy, he is very efficient avg. over 7 yards a carry this season. He rarely goes down on 1st contact and always is driving forward breaking out of tackles. His 27 carries in this one are a season high, he really earned his 146 yards.

You can expect Georgia to be looking to returning the favor in 2013. The Tide will make the road trip next season.

15. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I don't think your offense was the reason for your loss at all...so I don't have a problem for what you did. I feel you can always run more but Scales was putting in work. Unfortunately, your run defense wasn't good.

16. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Yeah but being held to two field goals when we were in position to score tells a good part of the story. So our offense had SOMETHING to do with it... Our defense made a couple of key stops and in the end of course, gave up the ghost.

17. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Field goals in the red zone kill. I think if I remember correctly both teams were held to field goals after being stufeed at the 1 yard line.

18. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Well I'd like to thank the guys that watched the game, Mo for writing this summary, and JFosh for an always great game, 'grats on the outcome.

PS word has leaked from the Georgia locker room that Marlon Brown is incensed at the GA Tech coach and wants to extract revenge for mussing up his name!

19. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I didnt know it was on....damn....I was playing NC State and then tuning my stang

[​IMG]