Band of Brothers and WW2 buffs

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by ThePlague0208, Jan 26, 2012.

1. ThePlague0208

ThePlague0208 Walk On

I work by Toccoa, GA. and in Toccoa there used to be a US Army camp in during WW2 called Camp Toccoa. This is where boys were turned into Paratroopers! Also where the 501st(Band of Brothers trained) episode 1. There isnt much left of the camp today. I took some pics of the memorial from my phone. I wanted to take a picture of "Curahee". Thats the mountain that the boys ran 3 miles up and 3 miles down! But it was so damn foggy today that you couldnt see more than 100 feet ahead of you. Heres some pics of the memorial.
    camp toccoa 001.jpg
    camp toccoa 002.jpg
    camp toccoa 003.jpg
    camp toccoa 004.jpg
    camp toccoa 005.jpg

Picture dont do the justice of being there. See Y'all.

• Like Like x 2
  2. mrluchini

mrluchini Walk On

That is very cool. I was a more than a little dissapointed that the Band of Brothers blue-ray thing was a hoax as I havent seen them since they were originally aired by HBO. My oldest is a military history buff and I was looking forwad to watching them with him.

3. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

My great uncle whom me, my dad and my son got our middle name from was killed on Omaha Beach. His group was among the first to land on the beach. Apparently he made it to the beach after getting hit in the water and died of shock soon after. He is buried in Normandy. I would love to make it France one day to be the first family member to see his memorial.

• Like Like x 3
  4. ThePlague0208

ThePlague0208 Walk On

What an honor to have a hero in your family Weave. Those guys fought through hell and back in WW2.

I come from a military family. I had 5 uncles in WW2(Pacific Theatre) an uncle in Korea and my father was a marine in Vietnam. I love hearing their stories. Makes me proud to be a Henry!

• Like Like x 1