Baseball Tonight Episode One

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by kdpnutter, Sep 5, 2013.

1. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

[​IMG]

KR: Welcome to edition one of Baseball Tonight, I'm Karl Ravech along with John Kruk and Steve Phillips where we will take a look at the 2023 season so far and what to expect for the rest of the year. Let's start things off with the league standings to show the folks at home where we are after about 70 games.

ScreenHunter_11 Sep. 05 17.21.jpg
    KR: Krukky let's start with you, what is your biggest surprise at the moment looking at those standings?

JK: Well the first thing that jumps out to me and Steve I think you can agree is how the AL West is already over, I mean Houston is 50-23 and is already up by 17 games, I mean 17 GAMES! Were not even at the halfway point and they are closing in on finishing this division by 100 games.

SP: Well I agree Houston has been on fire the other thing to look at is the NL East, and having been there as a former General Manager I can't believe right now that a team under .500 is winning that division, that is just disgraceful and hopefully someone steps up to take that divsion.

KR: Both good points, but for me it has to be the play of the Minnesota Twins, people had all but written this team off saying "Oh, its gonna be between the Royal and Tigers, maybe an outside chance for the White Sox or Indians, but everyone, myself included has this ball club in last place.

JK: I agree I gave them no chance in this division it just goes to show that you never can tell how a team could perform.

SP: Absolutely, right now they are leading this division but the question remains can they hold onto it. I wouldn't count out the Tigers they maybe struggling right now but there is too much talent for them to stay down in the basement.

KR: Alright, moving on who is your biggest disappointment so far?

JK: Given the big moves during the offseason I would have to go with the San Diego Padres, after getting Huck and McKeachen and Hull I expected this team to be better at the plate and adding Fabio Martinez to that rotation I expected better things, now it doesn't mean that I am writing them off they are only two games back of a downward facing Arizona Diamondbacks team, but I just expected more from those three in San Diego. They also have some big bullpen issues they need to fix.

SP: I have to go with both the Atlanta Braves and Pittsburgh Pirates, both teams have been as consistent as can be over the last few years but neither are playing to there potential. Atlanta rides on the shoulders of its ace Julio Teheran, Teheran is 5-6 this year with a 4+ ERA, now maybe its all the innings that he has pitched that are getting to him but these are not the numbers we are used to from Teheran. Matt Garza is 3-8 and has been a bust in this signing in the offseason and has an ERA over 8. If Atlanta wants to have a shot in the NL East playoff picture this year because outside of the division winner no one from the NL East will be getting in the playoffs they need to pick there play up. Pittsburgh is the opposite, there pitching is doing well but they can't hit. As a team they are hitting .223 and OBP is .298, both dead last in the National League. If Pittsburgh has a chance to try and catch the Reds and Brewers they need there bats to pick up.

KR: Well if Pittsburgh and Atlanta just exchance offenses or pitching staffs then at least one of them will get into the playoffs, just saying. I agree with Krukky on this, Detroit was expected to be up top in this division with the Royals and right now are playing bad baseball. Come on Detroit, get it together.
    Now onto our last question as were almost out of time, buyers and sellers at the deadline, teams that need to make that one or two moves to help there team or teams that should look to the future and get rid of some of its aging veterans. First team, Atlanta Braves.

JK: Buyers, they need to get an arm for the rotation and get some bullpen help.

SP: Buyers, I agree with Kruk, they need to add some pitching.

KR: Toronto Blue Jays, who are only 2.5 games out in the AL East right now.

JK: Buyers, they need to add a big home run hitting outfielder. They aren't getting much production from left field and could use a big home run bat, there really isn't that big bat in the lineup to fear.

SP: Sellers, right now Baltimore and New York haven't hit there stride yet and when they do are going to leave Toronto in the dust, they made some good moves in the offseason but not nearly enough, time to blow it up and start all over.

KR: Pittsburgh Pirates.

JK: Sellers, it's time to move on to the future for the Pirates and look to building for the years to come.

SP: I agree right now Milwaukee is suffering from some big injuries and Cincinnatti is right there, there just playing for 3rd place at best.

KR: Chicago White Sox

JK: I love the youth movement going on in Chicago, Campbell has shown to be the real deal, I don't think they need to blow it up or go buying for a chance to compete. Maybe get a few more pieces if they come cheap but stay the course.

SP: Buyers, Chicago has played well this year behind its youth, reward them a little bit and go out and get some extra help.

KR: Chicago Cubs

JK: Buyers, Cubs just made a deal recently but I think they need to make a couple others, there only 2 games back and made some good moves this off-season time to get fans excited in Chicago and make that playoff push.

SP: Buyers, the Cubs surprised a lot of people this year and need to get a couple of pieces to get over that hump and really be a team to be reckoned with.

KR: Well you heard it here folks, how interesting would it be to have the Cubs back in the playoffs and maybe potentially a chance for a World Series appearance? Would make for some interesting things in Chicago and all over baseball, most excitement they have seen since Wood, Prior and the boys and well Bartman still hasn't been seen since. If the Cubs win it, will they welcome him back the way the Red Sox did Buckner? We shall see, until next time for Steve Phillips, John Kruk and I'm Karl Ravech, have a great night!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 11
  2. soxandgators

soxandgators The Gator Nation

Well done here good read

3. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

kdpnutter

Phillips stopped molesting his coworkers long enough to get back on BBTN, eh? I like your style!

• Like Like x 1
  4. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

Almost brought back bobby v for it but liked Phillips a little better to ask for the GM questions. I may rotate people next time maybe Barry Larkin and Harold Reynolds, buster Onley will be making appearances especially near the trade deadline him and Tim kurkjian both will be on the one near the trade deadline.

5. abolishthefed

abolishthefed Specializing in mediocrity

Great work on this.

6. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Nice stuff KDP. The defending National League Champions are starting to figure it out offensively. We are now only 3 back in the Wildcard. We all remember how well the Bucks did last year as a wildcard. Right BigSmooth33 abolishthefed Colemanchu :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Not really, I was getting drunk on Lake Superior for the playoffs.

8. Sharkman37

Sharkman37 Walk On

nice read!

9. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

• Like Like x 1