Baseball Tonight: The Dugout Edition Sim 1

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by Brandon S., Mar 1, 2013.

1. Brandon S.

Brandon S. Freshmen Phenoms Commissioner

3 Up / 3 Down

Here i'll discuss 3 teams that are on fire, and 3 teams that are as cold as an igloo.

1. New York Yankees

The Yankees dominate the first 10 days of the 2019 season by going 7-1. You look at their lineup and see that Raul Sandoval is batting .467 to lead things, but the offense is not the reason they are 7-1. Although, It doesn't hurt that 4 guys are hitting over .300 and Cole Frenzel took 5 balls deep in 8 games. So if it isn't because of their offense, they must be winning because of their pitching, right? WRONG. Yeah Clayton Kershaw has an ERA of 0.53 but 3 of their starters have ERAs above 4. So why are they winning so much? Runs Allowed. This team is 1st in Runs Allowed with only 26 runs in 8 games. Their starters have the 4th lowest ERA, and the bullpen is at the 6th lowest, but thats because of Kershaw and Cody Eppley having a hot start. This team ranks 10th in defensive efficiency as well. Dont know how they are doing it but they are not allowing runs when it matters most, and they are winning because of it.

2. St. Louis Cardinals

St. Louis is another team with 4 guys batting over .300 and not allowing runs. They are 6-2 sitting atop the NL Central. They've been getting on base and stealing once they're on. Those SBs have really helped the Cards pull off some close wins, and Eduardo Sanchez is having a hot start to keep the lead in the 9th.

3. Boston Red Sox

Boston continues the same formula to success that we've seen out of the other 2 teams. Steal bases, score runs, stop the other team from scoring. However, Boston is doing it the prettiest way. They have the best Starting rotation to start the season, 2nd fewest Runs Allowed, most SBs, highest BA, most runs scored, 3rd most HRs, and the 2nd highest On base %. And they are 4th in defensive efficiency. krtgolfing wants to know if its too late to switch back ;)

3 Down

1. LA Angels

These guys are just struggling to start the season. Stud SS Huck Donahue is the only guy hitting the ball. Everyone else on the active roster is struggling seeing the ball. On top of that, Greinke looks like a shell of his 20 win self but the defense is helping him any. And to throw in a Triple Whammy, Dan Parks can't set up CL Jordan Walden and when he doesnt give up an ER, Walden gives up 3. Things aren't clicking here, and this could be a rough season for the Angels.

2. Colorado Rockies

The Rockies are a strange case. Looking at the numbers, you will find yourself wondering why they only have 3 wins. The Starting rotation isn't doing them any justice, but they are hitting well and the bullpen has played well. In their defense, they played a tough series vs the Phillies but then they drop 2 of 3 to Pittsburgh. The Pirates didn't even have momentum going into that series after giving up 19 runs in their own house to the Mets. Things will pan out for these guys, but man this sim has to be a tough one to swallow.

3. Chicago Cubs

The Cubs are off to a bad start, but things will certainly get better. Their defense has made a few errors and hasn't helped out the pitching staff but that will play itself out. They are better than that. Unfortunetly, the hitting may not get too much better. Dan Davis and Charlie Blackmon are carrying this team but 5 guys are hitting in the .100s. They cant score runs, and the starters are giving up tons of 'em. To make things worse, Sixto is off to a rough start after a harsh spring training. Their young Ace even walked 4 batters in one inning vs the Dodgers. Hard to win like that.

"They are who we thought they were"

Here i'll list players who have dominated in seasons past, and continue that into this season.

1. Romain Vignal - TOR

This guy has hit 7 deep balls to start the year, piling in 16 RBIs as well. This guy has hit 30+ HRs and 110+ RBIs the past 3 seasons and continues to show off his batting excellence this year.

2. Cole Frenzel - NYY

This guy hit 52 HRs in AAA a few years back. It was no secret he was going to swing for the fences once hit made it to the show. His rookie season he hit 31 HRs and drove in 105 batters. He followed that up with a Sophomore campaign of 49 HRs, leading the league and had 133 RBIs to add to it. He's playing like hes mad he didn't get MVP thanks to some guy in Baltimore.

3. SP Cody Kukuk - BOS

This guy caught everyone off guard with a perfect game last season, and he jumps off to another hot start this season with only allowing 1 ER in 15 innings. If you aren't impressed by that, i'll let you know who he played. Baltimore and Detroit. Both of these teams are offensive juggernauts, and he shut them down.

Thats Nasty

Not the usual Baseball Tonight compilation of nasty pitches, but the title fits for injuries as well. Here i'll talk about injuries and what it means for that team.

Padres OF Orlando Castro tore a back muscle on a defensive play. He'll be out 4-5 months

- Castro was recently acquired in a trade last december, but Padres fans wont see much of him this season as he'll miss the majority of the year with torn back muscles. The Padres probably weren't competing for a playoff spot this year, but it still hurts to have an injury like that to a guy you got 4 games out of.

Toronto DH Prince Fielder bruises a bone after being hit by a pitch, he'll be out 3 weeks.

- This isn't a killer blow because Toronto is loaded and he'll only be out 3 weeks, but Fielder had a good spring training batting over .600 in limited time, hopefully this doesn't throw off his rhytm.

Oakland LF Allen Coleman is out for 6 months with a torn shoulder labrum.

- Probably nothing more than a utility guy but players like this are so essential on small budget teams like Oakland. Hard to replace a guy that can play defense, hit and steal.

Twins OF Max Kepler is out 8-9 months with a torn shoulder labrum

- This guy played 104 games for the Twins last year. Whether he's your proto-typical starter or not, the guy plays good defense and that is something teams value in RF. Unfortunetly, his bat, or lack of, may make it easy to replace him.

Marlins SP Claude O'Vesy will miss 4months with a torn rotator cuff

- He was brought up last year and did just fine without much help from his offense. He had an ERA+ of 108 and could have had a promising campaign this year, but the rotator cuff is a huge injury to a 24 year old. This is a big blow to Miami's staff.

Teams to watch out for:

#1 Kansas City Royals - The Royals have an entirely new roster after a 61 win season. How that will play out, no one knows, but they're off to a 4-4 start with a huge home stand coming up in the next sim. Plus, i made this so i've got to promote myself somehow.

#2 NY Mets - This team is 6-2 and probably wont stay in 1st for too much longer with Philly being hot on their tale. But they didn't make the playoffs last year and with a good defense and solid rotation this team can go far. Besides, who knows how long it'll take Kasper before he ruins that Philly team. ;)

Teams that will cool down:

#1 LA Dodgers - This team is batting out of their mind and their rotation has 2 hot pitchers in Matusz and Buchholz. They'll cool off and these bats won't carry them all season. I hope they do continue their run, but being in a division with Arizona makes it hard to win anything more than a wild card. There are other good teams out there that will fill those spots though.

#2 Milwaukee Brewers - Ok these guys aren't necessarily on fire but they wont stay in 2nd place for long in the NL Central. I predict a 3rd place finish for these guys this year, the Reds will probably win it and the Cardinals are showing a good squad this year.

• Like Like x 14
  2. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

This was great stuff Brandon. The Mets handed me my ass, and after looking at that team Drifterbub isn't in too bad of shape.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Nice content.

I can only hope I just had a rough sim. The upside is my pitching has to get better and my hitting should.

• Like Like x 1
  4. PAgamer07

I dont know about your offense... I don't really think it's much improved this year, and last year you were next to last in the NL in runs scored. Your pitching will be miles better. You added some guys in the Rule 5, and your young starters are gaining more experience. J.P Can't do it all though :(

5. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Except for all the noodle-arms I have in my rotation/bullpen. I'm the 2000's Rangers. Score 10+ runs and hope the other team can't.

6. briosu99

briosu99 6* Team Killer

Good stuff, after looking at the stats, I'm not quite sure how we are winning either.

7. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    It's a work in progress. I had to call up Pir Hassani, I think he will be a good bat. Seath should hit better than last year, I like Vasquez and Davis. No one really expects 5 of my starting lineup to bat .150 this season do they? If so, I'm a worse talent evaluator than I think.

8. krtgolfing

krtgolfing Moderator

HAHA.. Bringing up the rear!!! Great information!!

9. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    Great stuff man, hope this continues.

Its nice to see the D-Backs have atleast on bad SIM. Its also good to know that I'm not theoretically out of the division race after just one SIM like last season.

10. Brandon S.

I wouldnt expect 5 guys to bat .150 all season but they may not get too much better than .230-.240. Your pitching staff will definitely improve though. There is no way they wont with a defense like yours. But that offense will hurt this year.

11. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    At least my expectations are low.

12. Brandon S.

Im going to try to get this in between each sim. Probably not as much content as this post but each post will be different. And if Arizona doesnt get it together you have a solid shot.

The players look nice but things just dont seem to click. Not sure what makes them hit so poorly, your ballpark modifiers aren't bad. Some guys just dont perform. Toss em at the deadline! ;)

Yeah he's definitely in good shape. I dont see Taillon having a good year. His control went down to 45 for some reason. But the rest of that rotation is solid. But the Big Apple is a pitchers park so its easier for Drifterbub to get away with a lackluster bullpen as long as that defense stays strong.

13. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

The Crew is for real son... :)

14. Brandon S.

I hope so, but between the Reds and the Cardinals you have your hands full. Palmisano isn't helping you out either.

15. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Good work!

Glad I wasn't on the bad or trending down segment!

Hopefully after I fix the accidental mess of the auto organization because of 26/25 on the roster, I will go .500 for the sim instead of 3-6. :rolleyes::mad::cool:

16. PAgamer07

Only you could fuck that up. Even the noobs get that stuff right

17. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

It was between 2-4am when I did and thought I had demoted enough players, just right after I made that 2nd and last export to change some strategy, I flipped to transaction and saw the dreaded 26/25 (facepalm) then of course your skype message.

OH WELL! Just a game right? Not life and death, right? :p

18. sonn

sonn Walk On

I still don't know how with so much fat protecting him that Fielder could get a bone bruise.

19. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

Probably got it from one of his hood rats.

20. Confucius Rex

Confucius Rex Walk On

How do we have the third most runs in the league? I know it's only the first sim, but that seems weird.

21. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

You are correct about that. Great stuff!