BCS Announcement Tonight

Discussion in '4th Horseman' started by Dwreck, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Dwreck

Dwreck Walk On

Obviously we all love college football. What are your thoughts on who should play LSU for the National Championship.

I feel that even though Alabama plays in the SEC, the fact that they didn't play either Georgia or South Carolina that their strength of schedule is poor and the fact that they didn't even win their division of their conference should preclude them.

Thoughts?

Jman
    papaloke
    ChuckDzzNutz
    Baron
    GatorJes
    GMangs
    Wyrmreaver
    Hokie Effect
    Matthew Keves

2. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

It's gotta be Bama. It has to be. Ok St is the only team that you could MAYBE argue deserves a shot but come on... Oklahoma is vastly overrated, especially sans Broyles and Lewis, and IOWA STATE. IOWA STATE. How do you lose to IOWA STATE when beating them means an undefeated season and a shot at the NC? It's like when Pitt beat West Virginia in... I want to say 2008? (The year OSU got demolished by the Mad Hatter and co.)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dwreck

Dwreck Walk On

OSU beat a lot more good teams, 5 ranked teams to Bama's 2, 7 bowl teams to Bama's 3. They lost on a weird Thursday night in which a plane carrying fellow members of their athletics program crashed killing a couple of coaches. Bama had a chance to beat LSU AT HOME. They had their shot, let someone else try...and Iowa State is not that bad (certainly not as bad as they used to be).

4. Jman

Jman It's a Flying Circus!

Fuck rematches and fuck teams that didn't win their conference.

I'm still licking my wounds form that beat-down yesterday but Okie State deserves it. Better resume. Worse loss? Yes, but it wasn't at home and it was double OT.

Again, fuck rematches.

It'll be close tonight IMO, rumor mill is aaaaaallllllooooooooooooooooooooot of votes are changing in the human polls after that showing last night.

5. Jman

Same thing I tell everyone around here, let that go.

It was terrible and completely gut wrenching even as an OU fan that the same thing could happen to a school twice but I bet MAYBE 10% of the footballers knew Coach Budke or anyone in the girls basketball program. They played off and got caught, it happens.

6. ChuckDzzNutz

ChuckDzzNutz Walk On

Bet you didn't feel that way the year the Sooners lost the Big 12 Title game like 51-7 to KSU and still got a shot at the title (albeit one they lost handily to LSU of the SEC)

I was pissed the year they were talking rematch between OSU and Mich though, and I think Florida certainly proved why there shouldn't have been one.

A rematch between the Mad Hatter and his old program is appealing, but you just can't give it to Okie St. There's no such thing as a "Stronger Schedule" for a team in the Big 12 over a team in the SEC, and SEC West in particular. I'm merely speaking in facts here cuz we all know damn well that Okie St. isn't a 1 loss team if they played in the SEC.

So, like Baron said . . . it's gotta be Bama. I can't stand the Tide, and hate the idea that if Alabama wins that means the lost to LSU AT HOME, but beat them on a Neutral site, but somehow that means they deserve the title? I digress though . . . they are the two best teams in the country.

PS Wow, I really played devil's advocate quite a bit with myself in that post

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jman

Actually, I did feel exactly the same way. If you don't win your conference you don't deserve to be in, period. That won't change in my mind until we have a playoff.

8. Baron

Let's not call the Sugar Bowl a neutral site game for LSU. It's a home game.

I will say that I am rooting for OkSt to play Bama, because that would mean a VERY pissed off Nick Saban and Bama squad would, most likely, get scUM. I'd like watching that.

9. ChuckDzzNutz

ChuckDzzNutz Walk On

Eh, with the ticket allotment I wouldn't expect the Super Dome to be ANYmore than 55/45 in favor of people that spell the word go with a eux at the end . . . funny, "scUM" around there parts refers to the U

10. Dwreck

Dwreck Walk On

I think that until every conference has a title game or none of them have a title game, if you make it to your conference title game a loss there would not preclude you from making the national championship. If LSU got beat by Georgia in the Georgia Dome I would still have no problem having the in the NC game because they beat so many other good teams in and out of conference.

You can't just say "playing in the SEC" or "playing in the Big 12" since you don't play every team in your conference in the SEC. You have to look at who they ACTUALLY played. And the truth is that Alabama only played LSU and Arkansas as far as teams in the SEC that are any good. If Utah went undefeated, but didn't have to play Stanford or Oregon how would you feel about them being in there?

Also, I am very wary of just awarding Alabama the nod to play in the NC just because "they have the most talent." If teams are required to earn it then us as fans will see more quality out of conference games by top teams trying to get the extra big win instead of playing South-west Northern Bumblefuck.

11. ChuckDzzNutz

ChuckDzzNutz Walk On

Dude, don't you get it by now or have the last FIVE BCS championship games not taught you? The SEC rules the land. We have the best athletes in the country and if we were fuckin bitches trying to get them pregnant then these are the most fertile grounds that exist. I laugh at the prospect of a team from another conference winning a title anytime soon. A 2-3 loss SEC team would win the National Title against anybody some other conference feebly attempted to throw at them. Ahhhh, they just announced it. Looks like they got it right. Bringing up Utah in the same sentence as the SEC is so fucking funny that I think I just shit myself.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jman

"We"? I love fans that talk like they're part of it. Haha

I for one will not be watching, I've already seen it once.

13. ChuckDzzNutz

ChuckDzzNutz Walk On

Hey, when I'm on the radio I avoid the word "We" like it's the mother fucking plague, but when I actually get to speak as a non media member for once, I embrace my fandom with every fucking ounce that exists inside of me.

14. Jman

Oh its fine, I'm glad you're tight knit with all the teams and coaches, I'm sure you guys get together all the time to hang out.

That's just something I can't fucking stand, as a football coach its annoying as hell when outsiders do that shit, even my wife. There is no "we", outsiders don't know what we know or do what we do.

Just my opinion, of course, as I know you and I are vinegar and oil on things like this.

15. Dwreck

Dwreck Walk On

You are right that a team from another conference will probably not win a national championship anytime soon because everyone is so fucking smitten with the SEC that no team from another conference will get to play in another national championship game. If the SEC is so dominant then why did Georgia, who won the SEC East lost to a team from Idaho? Speaking of Utah, didn't they spank Alabama in a BCS bowl a few years ago? That's what I thought. How about this, the SEC has a couple teams at the top (LSU, Alambama, Florida) that have really good programs and Auburn got lucky that Cam Newton got caught cheating at Florida and had to leave. But who really knows how much better the SEC is than other conferences because they never play anyone good out of conference (with LSU being the exception)?

16. Dwreck

Dwreck Walk On

PS, I will not watch the National Championship game

17. Jman

I'll be devil's advocate here as there is something at the root of that that I disagree with completely..

The SEC is the best conference in college football, period. They don't play brutal OOC's because of the in conference (most of the time, Alabama is an anomaly this year, but look at LSU's schedule) but generally depending on the year's rotation, they don't have to.

Still a rematch of a game we've all seen is asinine.

This shit makes me HATE college football. Its TOO simple to have an 8 team playoff and still retain all of the other bowls. They would make MORE money and MORE ratings, but ESPN and the BCS do NOT want that.

18. Dwreck

Dwreck Walk On

I never said that the SEC is not the best conference, but I don't think they are so head and shoulders above every other conference that a team from the SEC with the same record as other teams is automatically better just because they play in the SEC. The SEC has their share of dogs to.

19. ChuckDzzNutz

ChuckDzzNutz Walk On

Oh, is that all the good programs we have . . . Florida, LSU, Alabam, and Auburn . . . just the last 4 teams to win the National fucking title. Damn, it sucks we aren't 12 deep like all the other conferences. Poor us, and our poor SEC East that sucks so much (this year). Fucking Vanderbilt doesn't even have an Athletic Department . . . it's fused in with the intramurals. Guess what, they are going bowling too. Even JMan can claim to be playing "Devils Advocate" here, but the truth is the truth and fact is fact. The SEC is the most dominant conference the land has ever seen Oklahoma State is an 8-4 team in the SEC. You're Colardo team is 0-8 (EASY) in the SEC. As far as not playing every team in the conference, that is remedied by the championship game (See UGA, who avoided Bama, LSU, and Ark on their sched this year). I love this shit . . . please try to tell me some more how the Big 12 or some other conference can compare to the SEC. You do remember 2 weeks ago "WE" (Just for you J-Man) wer e1,2, and 3 in the polls.

PS As a UF alum I will say "We" as much as I'd like . . . As a non-football coach, or actual member of the football team I'd never refer to myself as such on the radio, certainly not on the national level when I do updates from home games on Fox Sports Radio . . . maybe some of you have hard me. Maybe Florida residents heard me when I produced, and pretty much co-hosted the state syndicated Terry Bowden Show from Orlando. Yes, I'm drunk, and tooting my own horn, but my point is, I'm fucking qualified to share my opinions.

PPS Yes, I'm drunk . . . good friend's grandma died last night and showed up crying. I offered him Chilli and company, but he was like "I've got $1300 in my pocket and want to go out!" . . . who was I to object?

20. Baron

At the end of the day this was the ONLY decision they could have made. Unfortunately I will not be able to see a possessed (well, EXTRA possessed) Saban throttle scUM, but hey, we can't always get what we want.

I will definitely watch the NC game because frankly, from a defensive perspective, the first time was orgasmic.

21. Baron

Jman: As far as we goes, I think the simple use of pronouns for the purposes of identifying with a school and team that you root for, love, financially support is ok. The entitlement bullshit that a LOT of fans get into (expecting more access, criticizing play calling, etc.) isn't and that's at the heart of what I think you're getting at. But is a football team JUST a football team, or are fans a part of a PROGRAM as well?

ChuckDzzNutz: my condolences to your friend. Also, fuck the SEC.

22. papaloke

papaloke Fifty Shades of NCAA

The SEC is the most underhanded, money driven, money spent, crooked, win at all cost conference in the land and this is why they have the best athletes and the best teams. And one more thing, the fucking media drives all of it!

23. Baron

To say nothing of their laughable academic standards. But do I really care about any of the above? Not really. It's great football and fun to watch. I just like to use the above when they spank tOSU to mitigate some of the pain.

24. papaloke

papaloke Fifty Shades of NCAA

I say "we", but do I think I'm playing in the actual fucking game? of corse not. I play NCAA for that.

25. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

So much passion, cursing, and hurt feelings....

On the one hand, in general, I think that a team that fails to win their conf championship shouldn't get a shot at the title. The "we're not the best in the sec, but we're the best in the country" angle is weak.

Also, in general I would prefer a non-rematch game.

Now when you didn't win the conference because the other team in the title game did I think it changes things a bit. If Georgia won the SEC title and Alabama or LSU got to play in the title game I would find that more alarming, especially since the quality of Alabama's loss would decrease with an LSU loss.

Now, getting away from "what ifs" and "in generallys" lets talk about this season and this game. The SEC is universally believed to be the best conference overall, particularly at the top. As for the arguments of no rematch I think that is sort of a weak ground to stand on, in a playoff you could easily end up with rematches, maybe even a third matchup of the same teams if they played in season and in CCG. We have rematches for titles in every major sport, so why should we automatically throw out a rematch?

The better question is since we have only one unbeaten team, which 1 loss team deserves to go, and that is clearly up for debate. Now, this wouldn't even be a debate if some teams would have taken care of business.... Stanford, Boise, OSU, all would have had a realistic shot at the game if they were undefeated and I would feel more outrage if one or more undefeated teams were snubbed in favor of a Bama-LSU rematch. As it is, all of the other teams fucked it up, so when you look at 1-loss squads here's Alabama and their only loss is to the #1 team by just 3 points..... so I think you have to give them the nod, as much as I dont like it and am not interested in watching football games with baseball scores, it seems like they are the two best teams in the nation right now and have had the best seasons compared to the other contenders (yes, an SEC schedule matters).

• Like Like x 1