BCS vs. "Sweet 16"

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by LeGeNd RiPs, Feb 2, 2010.

?

BCS or "Sweet 16"

1. BCS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. "Sweet 16"

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. LeGeNd RiPs

LeGeNd RiPs Is it football season yet?

BCS vs. "Sweet 16"

You choose. Stick with the inferior and troublesome BCS(I'm not bias!), or switch to the more efficient, productive, and all around more competitive "Sweet 16" playoff system. Lets get some Chatter goin! Let the debate commence!

2. Masler

Masler Moderator

Stick with the BCS, if you have a Sweet 16 then you're going to have like a 6 game season and dozens of teams will go undefeated and get screwed out of the playoffs. A lot of rivalries would get kileld. Basketball has way more games, that's why they have the tourney. Even if you did have the 12 game season, you would still screw so many teams out of the playoffs. Same teams would dominate every year.

I say BCS, bowl games are more fun to watch anyway.

3. King_CEPS_11

King_CEPS_11 Walk On

I say just stick with the BCS for three reasons.

1. I think there is nothing like the regular season in college football. Every single game is vitally important if a team hopes to be national champions. This creates a lot of drama and passion week in and week out. If a playoff system was installed you would lose the importance of every game.

2. The bowl system is a great way to reward players for a season of hard work. Although every team wants to win their bowl (especially BCS) the bowls are like a vacation almost for the players to enjoy. With a playoff system you wouldn't get that same effect and about a quarter of the kids would even get to experience the postseason.

3. As mentioned by Maslar with a 16 team playoff somebody is still going to feel left out. Team 17 and 18 will feel like they were more deserving than teams 15 and 16 and you would still have an imperfect way of choosing the 16 teams.

All in all while a playoff sounds like the best option for any sport I just don't think it is right for college football. While many complain about the college football system now at least you are getting arguably the best two teams on the field to play for it all. I just think with the way college football is now the system in place is the right one.

4. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

There is to much tradition to be lost, I don't think it will ever change

5. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

Lets not forget that FBS college football is the only sport without an organized tournament to determine its champion. The reason we accept it is because of its long standing tradition and most people aren't comfortable with change. A college football tournament seems to work at the FCS level.

6. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

We need a playoff system installed. Top two teams from every conference goes to the 'dance'. Keep the bowls as a NIT type of thing. Everybody gets money instead of just BCS conference schools. Too easy IMO

7. LeGeNd RiPs

I just think they should put the top 16 teams in the playoffs. No arguments.

8. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

To me, its not even close... I can watch any game during March Madness, especially the bigger games... The BCS, with all its flaws doesn't even compete in my opinion.

I hate hearing about all the arguments and what if scenarios for the Boise State's of the world...

March Madness ends any what if scenario... By the time the sweet 16 rolls around, theres no question who the top 16 teams are, because they actually played it out!

9. T2

T2 Smarter than your average bear!

there are 148 schools that compete for play-off spots in Divison II. every game counts as conferences are grouped into regions. every game still counts. and they still have bowl games for the teams that didnt make the playoffs..

10. LeGeNd RiPs

Exactly. If you make it, you make it, if you don't, you don't, but those who make it will deserve it and vice versa!

11. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Playoffs. Play the games in the school's stadiums in the first and maybe 2nd round. That would make the regular season and seeding important.

12. Juggernautblitz

Juggernautblitz Carbon glutton

I am too busy at work to read everyone else's posts so apologies if this has already been said. There is no way it is even close. The BCS does not determine a true champ while the Sweet 16 does. College b-ball fans still care about the regular season and care passionately about their rivalry games because there is still conference titles on the line and seeding in the tourney. Would every game mean quite as much as they do now in the regular season, no, but they would still mean a hell of a lot like they do in b-ball, stadiums would still be packed, TV ratings would still be high, and the postseason would be 10x what it is today. Give me a 16 team tourney, first round at top seeds home, 2nd round at the 4 BCS bowls, 3rd round and championship games rotate every year among the big 4 bowls. There can still be smaller bowl games in early December for 7-5 and MAC teams but the big boys, the top 16, will play it out on the field and it would be the biggest, best tourney in all of sports, World Cup included.

13. Masler

Masler Moderator

why does regular season matter to make a tourney? All you have to do is win a certain amount of games. Might lose conference but could still win the title.

14. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Don't get carried away, it wouldn't be bigger than the world cup. I don't think college football is on a big universal level

15. Juggernautblitz

Juggernautblitz Carbon glutton

BIGGER THAN THE world cup.

16. LeGeNd RiPs

Well put! I agree totally!

17. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Nothing is bigger than the World Cup. Sure, maybe a small town closes up shop on a big Saturday in America during CFB season, but entire countries shut-down for World Cup games.

When popular CFB teams dont have success... their coach gets fired.

When Soccer teams dont have success... people die.

18. LeGeNd RiPs

Ha! So true!

19. LeGeNd RiPs

bumb....sweet 16 is in the lead. Keep Voting and Posting!

20. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

I don't know why the regular season would be any shorter. You don't invalidate the regular season in any way shape or form. You don't take the top 16 teams out of a poll. You take 11 conference champs...regular season still matters. You take the other 5 teams based on a BCS-type poll. You seed the teams, give home games to the higher seed in rounds 1 and 2. Move to a neutral site for the final four and championship games. Settle it on the field. It would be huge.

You still keep the weedeater bowl etc. as consolation games/rewards.

21. LeGeNd RiPs

Exactly! I would love it!