Bears 37 Vikings 31 OT Thriller

Discussion in 'Game Summaries & Team News' started by LLCoolGrey, Sep 11, 2013.

1. LLCoolGrey

LLCoolGrey Walk On

[​IMG]
    Chicago, IL – The bitter division rival Vikings stormed into Soldier field with the acquisition of Starting QB Josh Freeman from the Tampa Bay Bucs. Combining Freeman’s arm strength with Peterson’s ground game would equal plenty of victories according to ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith.

This would prove to be true as the Vikings were in control of this game from kickoff. On their first drive, Adrian Peterson scored a TD after rushing 9 times for 46 yards. The Bears, playing without starting HB Matt Forte would answer, when replacement RB Justin Forsett took a screen pass 28 yards for the TD knotting it at 7-7.

The Vikings would stay in control after a Michael Bush fumble to take a 10-7 lead late in the 2nd quarter. After a three and out – the Vikings would again score before the half, this time on a play action pass pass to FB Jerome Felton from 5 yards out to take a commanding 17-7 lead. With the relentless ground game, the Vikings seemed to be in full control of this game scoring on yet another Peterson rushing TD 24-7 – but the leadership of new coach Marc Trestman again became clear. (Taken per mic’d up Coach Trestman; Third Quarter; 5:43 remaining:

“Be great. Don’t be good. Be great. This is home. This is where you lay claim. You’re going to let another team come in your house, walk all over your couch with muddy shoes and have their way with your wife and not do sh#t about it? Not my team. Go hard or go home”

Clearly motivated the Vikings would cause a fumble when LBer Lance Briggs laid a huge hit on TE John Carleson. LE Julius Peppers would follow with the scoop and score making it 24-14. After a three and out, Bears RB Michael Bush would draw the Bears closer with a Rushing TD making it 24-21. The Vikings would not relent, using a punishing ground game and play action aerial assault to again score making it 31-21 early in the 4th quarter.

The Bears would play hurry up – clearly hurting from the Forte Injury, but Jay Cutler would march down the field and find WR Earl Bennett for the score to make it 31-28. All seemed lost at this point – when an onside kick failed. The Vikings would run on the first two downs – leaving a critical 3rd and 4 to decide the game. Vikings WR Greg Jennings would drop a crucial long pass giving the Bears one last opportunity, one they would not look back from.

Vikings playing prevent defense allow huge gains on the first two downs by the Bears. After getting to the 29 yard line with 16 Seconds left, the Bears would kick the tying FG to make it 31-31 and force overtime. Winning the toss, the Bears would receive and Michael Bush would control the ground game. In what seemed like the impossible finally happened as Justin Forsett crossed the goal line giving the Bears the 37-31 come from behind victory.

Final Score

Bears – 37

Vikings 31

Good game Juan Valencia . I already know I’m going to hate playing the Vikings. I’m hoping Peterson retires due to arthritis! Seriously, Juan had 4 crucial drops by his WR that cost him this game. Outside of those drops he played solid defense and controlled this whole game. I had no business winning and coming back. I already am having nightmares of playing you later this year and hearing that FOG horn when Peterson scores.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Juan Valencia

Juan Valencia Walk On

Great write up! Looking forward to the next one I had a blast. Thank you for the kind words. The Vikings wr's are in time out.

• Like Like x 1
  3. LtJustice

LtJustice QSF Commissioner

Great write up Grey!

4. Michael Overman

Michael Overman Walk On

Good Read...thanks