BEARS tame Bruins as Cal trips up UCLA

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by jfosh, Jan 7, 2011.

1. jfosh

jfosh Super

UCLA had knocked out 3 wins in a row vs. Cal, but patiently waited the full season for a chance to avenge their loss last year in Berkley. UCLA has done its best to wreak havoc off the field leading up to the game.

The Bruins have picked off Cal recruits at an alarming pace. “Kid after kid has visited Westwood only to be wooed by the Coaching staff of UCLA.. They have been outstanding on the recruiting trail at our expense.” Needless to say Cal needed to even the score somehow and a win would push them toward that direction.

The Rose Bowl was rockin and in truce coach Bruce80 fashion he was going to be aggressive electing to receive the ball. We know UCLA likes to get out and front and put their opponent behind. The Bruins were forced to punt on the opening drive. Cal was forced to punt and returned the ball to UCLA. Cal caught the first break of the game when SR MLB Wilkerson picked off a pass and took home for TD.

UCLA answered quickly tying the score at 7-7. Cal put together a drive that spread over the end of the first and beginning of the second culminating in a TD strike to TE Jeremy Poe. UCLA again wasted no time and drove against the Bears evening the score 14-14.

The rest of the second quarter was bogged down by some better defensive play with Cal punting, then UCLA punting, then Cal punting, and finally UCLA punting to end the half.

The second half started with Cal receiving the ball. It looked like another punt was in the works with Cal on 3rd and 10. Cal converted the third down with a 17 yard out to emerging star WR Mike Smith. After another UCLA sack the Bears were able to convert again to Smith on a 2nd and 17. This time they hit Smith on a post where he was blanketed by a UCLA defender in front and behind. Smith was able to use his 6’ 5” frame to go over the interior defender. Softened up by the long passes back up HB Tajun Biggs was able to break a stretch run for 24 yards of the right side and was brought down inside the 5 yard line. HB Calvin Cameron then pounded it in give the Bears the 21-14 lead.

UCLA fired it up again and carved through the Cal defense (489 yards offense on the day). They struck quick and tied the score at 21. UCLA looked to gain the upper hand forcing Cal into a punt. On their next drive the Bruins were faced with a 2nd and 7. They tried to hit a quick out in the flats. OLB Chris McCain made a great read on the play and picked up the bears their second interception of the day.

Cameron added a 20 and 7 yard run as Cal took advantage of the short field. The lead was now 28-21. UCLA quickly (the theme being these guys scored quick and easy at times) rebounded and knotted the game up at 28-28. Cal was on the drive again. The biggest play on the last scoring drive was a 2nd 6 pass to FB Will Thompson as he snuck out of the backfield. The Bears began handing off to their power back Cameron the rest of the way scoring with 1:35 left. Plenty of time left for the Bruins.

After a short kick and a couple of quick passes the Bruins hit a streaking uncovered receiver down the middle for a 40 yard gain. Trying to manage the clock and punch it in UCLA had the ball inside the yard line. 3 and 2 from the 4, UCLA was stopped and it forced a 4th down and 2 from the 4. QB Jeff Banks tried draw the line off-sides and thought he had but no flag was thrown. Banks was certain he had drawn them off-sides. He had to drop back but his receivers were held up in the end zone, as he rolled right the pressure got to him and he was sacked. Turnovers on downs. Final 35-28.

GG Bruce

tried the 5 videos...they uploaded but are not showing on the dynasty wire

2. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Sounds like a crazy ending. Congrats to Cal, anytime you beat UCLA it's a huge win.

3. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Tough loss, the play to the FB in the flat late, I got stuck switching players at the snap and hit sticked the guy that was supposed to be covering him.

The last play of the game the refs must just be blind, it was offsides and no flag was thrown then the Cal defenders are banging around my WRs and TEs in the back of the endzone long enough to make me hold the ball and get hit when throwing which = no dice.

Tough game to lose, we played well. The two turnovers leading to an easy 14 points are tough when you cant catch the balls the other team throws you.... which has become a theme for us.

GG and nice job Fosh. Back to the drawing board.

4. jfosh

jfosh Super

ucla is a big win for us but frankly any win in the Pac-10 is a good one. Keeps alive for our hopes of winning the conference championship.

The turnovers were huge always are. Big difference for us was scoring TD's in the Redzone this week. Against Washington we were forced to boot FG's....smh

5. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Get used to it! :D

Actually my defense will only continue to get worse.

6. jfosh

jfosh Super

this i like get worse!!!

7. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

i can't wait to make it 2 in a row....

8. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Big talk coming from Mr. Yet to beat B80 ever!!!

9. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Hell I can't believe he finally got a dubya against me. FNG

10. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

birds are falling to their death, fish popping up in the waters. I think it's time to complete the cycle for the apocalypse....

11. jfosh

jfosh Super

could be the cardinal's big year...its the end of times