Ben Wallace To Retire at Season's End; Hall of Fame Next?

Discussion in 'The Baseline : NBA 2K14 Online Association' started by JFace907, Nov 16, 2011.

?

Does Ben Wallace Belong in the Hall Of Fame?

1. Yes

22.2%
  2. No

77.8%
  1. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

[​IMG]
    Is this the image of a Hall Of Famer?

Detroit, MI: Last night in a special press conference at the Palace, Ben Wallace announced that following next season he will be stepping away from the game of basketball for good. Retiring after what will be his 16th year in the league. Ben was an undrafted free agent who went on to become this generations best defensive player at only 6 Feet 9 Inches tall. Ben is a 4-time all-star and Defensive POY award winner. Ben also finished on the All-Defense 1st Team 5 consecutive years from 02-06 and in 07 finished on the 2nd Team. He is an NBA champion from his 2004 team that took down the heavily favored Lakers that had a roster of Hall of Famers. Ben was on the Pistons squad that dominated the Eastern Conference in the early 2000s taking away 2 Conference titles and making 5 Conference Finals in total. This seems to be the resume of a Hall of Famer, but some voters have trouble getting past Ben Wallace's offensive game being virtually nonexistent with the 'Fro only averaging 5.9 PPG in his career. This sportswriter hopes to see the 'Fro in the HOF in Springfield, Mass, but his vote can only go so far.

So i ask you, fellow Baseliners. Is the REAL Big Ben a Hall of Famer?

ryalaman
    bucsfan047
    Mike E
    Bondzai007
    Papa Perry
    BDSDIGITAL
    bringbackjimmy
    Dru50
    makinpropel
    gowazzucougs
    Danthraxxx

2. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

Dude was the best defensive player in the game for a stretch. Also, his 'fro is iconic.

3. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

I'd let his afro in, but not him. His 2 years in Chicago, where he was paid to be the defensive centerpiece of a young team and he completely bombed out soured me on him. He was great in Detriot playing off the ball because Rasheed Wallace tended to guard the other teams big man, and he was playing with 3 good-to-great backcourt defenders in Billups/Hamilton/whatever that SF's name is (I'm spacing on it at the moment).

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bondzai

Tayshaun Prince......shoulda been Carmelo.

5. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Big Ben did win two of those DPOY's without Sheed on the team and one em without Rip and Prince. Maybe i'm just a fan of the underdog here, but i've always loved the Ben Wallace story. An undrafted free agent out of Virginia Union who circled the drain in Washington and Orlando before thriving under Larry Brown and the Detroit Pistons.

6. Bondzai

He was basically a throw away in the sign and trade that got us Grant Hill. That worked out great.

7. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

Obviously the player he most resembles is Rodman. Big Ben is no Rodman , which is ok , but for comparing sake he is not.

Rodman won titles on two separate squads , in an era where teams were much better and much deeper , and because of this I feel he is not as good a player , but still deserves some discussion. I don't have all of he numbers in front of me but I never felt Ben was "great" , which to me is needed for any HoF

Which is why I am still mad at Dru50 for not letting any of he great kickers in AM into the hall lol :p (just kidding)

8. Dru50

Ben was a great defender and rebounder, but to me that's not enough. I'll be honest, watching him in Chicago, where he was asked nightly to guard the other teams best post guy really changed my opinion on him. I was stoked when the Bulls signed the guy, but it became apparent after watching him for a season in Chicago that he wasn't the on-the-ball defender that he was purported to be and that is the biggest difference between him and Rodman (who I feel most compared him to). Rodman was a crazy mo-fo, but he was also one of the best on the ball defenders in the past 25 years, who could guard literally any player on the floor when he was in his prime.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bondzai

You're just mad because the Bulls overpaid for him.

The first year that I had season tickets to the Magic, the first game was against the Bulls. It was Big Ben's first game in a Bulls uniform. Very first possession of the game, Dwight gets the ball down low. Ben is guarding him, Dwight puts a nasty spin move on him and damn near tears the rim down. I'll never forget that.

10. Dru50

Yup-overpaid and he turned out to be a locker room problem too-great signing.

11. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

I know we didn't know each other back then, but i'd like a thank you for the Cavs being so willing to get that contract off the Bulls hands :p

12. Dru50

That was nice of them, but they got fooled into thinking he was what the Bulls thought he was when they signed him originally. Like somehow he was going to be great if he was only on a better team.

13. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

The Cavs tried their hardest to make a great team, i mean hell look at this deal. The Cavs traded half of their active roster.

Picture 2.png

14. Dru50

The sad thing is I had real high hopes for Hughes/Gooden when they came to the Bulls. Boy was I off there.

I was PISSED when the Bulls subsequently let Shannon Brown go for absolutely nothing (kind of like they did with JR Smith). He would have looked good on the Bulls last year for the playoff run instead of Keith Bogans.