Best defenses

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by DC, Aug 3, 2011.

1. DC

DC Shake n Bake

I think it's been established that there is no glitchy defense.

But what works best? In general? Versus run. Versus pass. Formation wise, or play wise.

Defense is where I'm lacking so I thought I'd get a few pointers and add to the leagues post count :)

2. bdub

bdub Walk On

I could use some help with this to. I keep getting torched through the air.

3. jca312

jca312 Walk On

I'm running the 4-2-5 and it has been pretty effective. I've got some holes personnel-wise that need to be filled, but most of the time, we have people in positions to make plays.

My advice would be get as many of your best players on the field as you can. If your linebackers are your strength, the 3-4 might be the way to go. If you only have a couple good linebackers, like me, the 4-2-5 is pretty solid. The 4-3 has always been good on the game. I played around with the 3-3-5 in the first few weeks of the release, but didn't like my D Line enough to roll with the 3-man front.
    In short, play to your personnel and don't be too aggressive too much, the CPU will exploit that.

4. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Absolutely agree with this last point... With Michigan, I'm lucky to have a good DT, a decent #2, DE's and a number of decent LB's. Depth will be a problem, but it allows me to play more like the Ravens defense in real life with Mattison. Random blitz packages, etc.

Bottom line, play to the strengths of your roster. I think now more than ever, the players make the game not the plays on D.

5. bdub

bdub Walk On

You killed me with the 4-2-5 when we played. I couldn't get anything going.

6. jca312

jca312 Walk On

It's different and hard to play against if your safeties can play well in run support. The high school team I coach had to run it a bit last year because we had a bunch of injuries, so I got more familiar with it than I had been before. I like the different looks it provides and the different ways you can bring pressure out of it.

7. bdub

bdub Walk On

I went with the 4-3 this year as that is what Utah plays in real life. However, I really starting to wonder if I should have gone with something else that would have better fit my personnel. Are you guys using custom playbooks on defense?

8. jca312

jca312 Walk On

I put the 4-4 back into the 4-2-5 book, since they decided to take it out this year for some reason. Other than that, it's just the base 4-2-5 book.

9. Goose

Goose Walk On

I can't get any sacks with the LB's from the 4-3.

10. bdub

bdub Walk On

Neither can I, I am getting a lot out of the Nickel and Dime packages though.

Most of the Pac 12 teams are pretty wide open so I end up staying in Nickel and Dime most of the time anyways.

11. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

I've struggled with sacks from my LBs (and I play a 4-3), but I don't call many plays that send the backers. My two DEs, however, have been registering sacks.