Best of the Best - Year 2

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by bravejaf, Aug 26, 2010.

1. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Best of the Best - Year 2

Best of the Best returns for another exciting year of recruiting. This week the article will focus on the top 15 recruits. Next week we will dig deeper into their top schools and the offers these players receive.

#1 - Curtis Garrett (ATH #1) 6'2 182 - WV
    Garrett is a monster with a devastating mix of speed and strength. In high school he has played some offense and defense, but he looks to be a defensive back in college. With a 4.32 40-yard dash he is tied for the second fastest player in this group. His coverage skills are very solid (B- zone and man cover) and he also can take down ball carriers (B- tackle).

#2 - Sean Jenkins (QB #1) 6'1 220 - TX
    My rankings vastly differ from the ESPN 150. Jenkins looks mediocre in every area and I don't see him being an outstanding prospect. He has a B grade in throw power and accuracy but his speed numbers are very bad for a balanced QB. He graded as a C in speed and acceleration, and a D in agility.

#3 - Zach Harrison (HB #1) 5'10 193 - OH
    Zach isn't a burner with a 4.52 speed but he can break tackles (B-), make people miss (B elusiveness) and run people over (B- trucking). I'm not sure I'd rank him as the top back in the class but he could be a very productive player.

#4 - Andre Vaughn (HB #2) 6'4 227 - NY
    Vaughn is a big boy and he has strength to match. He benched 450 lbs. in his workout, the second highest among all running backs in this class. He uses his strength in the run game, grading a B+ in trucking according to ESPN. He also has a much quicker burst than Harrison, A+ for Vaughn and B for Harrison. His greatest weakness is elusiveness, which he scored a D+ according to the scout's grades.

#5 - Ryan Horn (QB #2) 6'1 189 - TN
    I would rate Horn far above Jenkins in my QB list. He has a better arm (B+ vs. B) and graded a B- in speed, acceleration and agility. Horn has the look a very good option QB with B- break tackle and a decent carry rating at C+. Horn also is a hard nosed player who plays through pain (A injury) and rarely comes off the field (A- stamina). I expect him to be a 3-year starter at the college level.

#6 - D'Juan Nash (WR #1) 6'3 195 - CA
    The California kid has good size for his position and he plays taller with a B grade in jumping. He also has great speed (A-) and a solid burst (B+ acceleration). He is not a tremendous route runner (C) and has an average release on press coverage (C). He won't drop many passes at the next level (C+) catching but he is far from elite in that area.

#7 Chris Bush (DE #1) 6'0 246 - FL
    Chris's numbers do not jump off the page but he is a solid player with good intangibles. He has good speed at 4.52 and also possesses solid strength. He graded a B- in that area thanks to his results in bench press and squat. His high school film shows he is a solid tackle (B) and can track down players (A- pursuit). He does need to work on his finesse moves (D) but he can power past most offensive lineman (B power moves). Chris may benefit a year on sidelines so he can learn playbook (D- awareness).

#8 - Adam Bryant (DT #1) 6'4 283 - KY
    Adam has spent the past 3 years doing 2 things: terrorizing opposing quarterbacks and securing championships. He doesn't have great burst off the line (C) but he has moves to get past lineman. He graded a B+ in block shedding, power moves and finesse moves. He also can track down evading players, evident in his A- pursuit grade. He could probably start as a true freshman and at worst should be a rotation player.

#9 - Adam Adams (T #1) 6'4 294 - AZ
    People used to pick on Adam for his name when he was younger but not any longer. He grew up and also put a lot of effort into getting stronger. His hard work shows in his grade at strength (B). He also is excellent as a pulling blocker on running plays since he gets off the line very quick (A acceleration). His one area of concern is stamina (C-) and this will need to improve at the next level.

#10 - John Lacey (WR #2) 6'3 168 - WY
    Lacey is a little leaner than Nash and does not possess the same strength. Where Lacey bests Nash is speed with a 4.32 40 yard dash time compared to Nash's solid 4.38. Scouts gave Lacey an A grade in speed and acceleration and this is reflected in his high school film. Lacey scored 20 TD his junior season and most were simply due to his speed. He also has better catch ability than Nash (B- vs C+) and better route running (B- to C). Nash could play some special teams next season and serve as a 4th or 5th WR for most D-1 teams.

#11 - Kevin Lester (HB #3) 6'0 214 - GA
    Kevin is the third back in this class and he has shown solid all-around skills at that position. He isn't blazing fast with a 4.46 40-yard dash but he does make quick cuts (B+ agility). His high school film shows that he can make people miss (B- break tackle and elusiveness) and he isn't afraid to take on defenders (C+ trucking). One area he will need to work on is strength, he graded a D according to ESPN's scouting services. Of the top 5 backs he posted the lowest bench press total at 354 lbs.

#12 - Kyle Goss (HB #4) 5'11 204 - OH
    The Buckeye state produces another top tier HB. Goss is similar to Lester in speed (B+) and agility (B+) but is even more balanced across the board. In terms of strength he bested Lester 420 to 354 in the bench press and this is reflected in Kyle's C+ grade in strength. Kyle also has excellent vision (B-) so he can find holes in defense. Concern with Ryan is centered around his other abilities such as catching (D) and pass protection (D-). These areas may keep him off the field on third down and long conversions.

#13 - Mike Meyers (DT #2) 6'2 249 - NJ
    Not related to the actor or the villian in Halloween. The Jersey kid is a bit undersized for a defensive tackle at 249 so he would be a terrible fit in a 3-4 scheme. In general Meyers seems like a solid prospect but it is difficult to find one area where he excels. Looking at this film he did show some ability to get off blocks (C+) and he is a solid tackler (B-). In terms of growth, he will need to add some muscle (C+ strength). He also will likely redshirt his first season on campus so he can get up to speed with playbook (D awareness).

#14 - Adam Brown (HB #5) 6'0 184 - MN
    The burner of the top tier running backs. He posted a remarkable 4.30 40-yard dash in front of scouts but Brown has many areas he needs to improve. His top end speed is among best at his position (A speed) but he has average acceleration (B) and slightly below average agility (C). The other big concern is protecting the ball (D carrying). His film shows some highlight runs but it also shows a lot of fumbles. He also could benefit from sitting out first season to learn the offense (D- awareness).

#15 - Matt Williams (C #1) 6'1 298 - PA
    Matt looks to be very well balanced in his skill set but doesn't grade as elite in any one area. He showed off a solid bench press of 444 lbs. in his workout, second highest among centers in ESPN 150. In terms of blocking he graded as a B- in run blocking and pass blocking. Another strength was his quick burst at line (B+ acceleration), which allows him to get first step on opposing defenders. Stamina is his biggest concern as he graded a D in that area.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reader Participation section:

1. Best looking prospect top 15

2. HB battle: #3 Harris vs. #4 Vaughn vs. #11 Lester vs. #12 Goss vs. #14 Brown

3. WR battle: # 6 Nash vs #10 Lacey

2. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Nice write up. You see that FS with A+ speed that is pry going to Bama? wowwww

3. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

If you are referring to Garrett than he is hopefully heading to Penn State. He already had us ranked #1 and I had a 1,000 point week with him in the first week. I wish he would have just instant committed to make my life easier.

4. Ceewo

Ceewo Walk On

Is he the JUCO?

5. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

I think I found the recruit Hova was talking about but he is rated as a :4stars: and is pretty far down ESPN's list. Not sure if that player is a JUCO since it doesn't show on dynasty wire. Garrett the #1 overall guy is not a JUCO.

6. FacePlant City

FacePlant City FacePlant City

Would love to have Vaughn as a RB..or FB. ;)

Awesome write-up.

7. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

BTW anyone got any graphic design abilities? Looking to make up some kind of banner but I lack skills in that area. It doesn't need to be anything too fancy.

8. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

[​IMG]

Sorry for the delay been a bit busy so kind of slacking on this article.

As stated in the previous feature, the focus will remain on the top 15 prospects in this class. The last edition went over the player's strengths and weakness. Now the focus will be on their possible destinations.

Garrett's services are down to Penn State and USC. He visited the Trojans in week 3 but is still favoring the Nittany Lions at this point. Penn State backers are hoping that the young prospect was impressed with the week 6 visit he took in Happy Valley. A strong visit could lock him down for Penn State. With USC in the mix you never know what cheap tricks they will pull out to land a top recruit.

Jenkins is likely remaining inside state lines as the Longhorns are favorites for landing the top QB. Miami tried to win him over with a visit week 5 against Boston College but it wasn't enough to sway Jenkins from his childhood dream. He is scheduled to visit Austin in week 11 but it is likely he will commit before that visit.

This is another 2-way battle and surprisingly Ohio State is not in the mix. Right now Notre Dame has a slight lead over Wisconsin, despite a visit to Camp Randall Stadium in week 5. Florida also has offered a scholarship but they are very far behind the front runners and are unlikely to pose any threat to Irish and Badgers.

Notre Dame isn't content to get just one top back, they are also leading for services on Vaughn. Auburn tried to make up some ground with a week 4 visit but the push wasn't enough to overcome the Irish. Florida is also in the mix for Vaughn but they have a lot of ground to make up.

Horn didn't even need to visit Alabama to make his decision. He signed with the Crimson Tide, passing on SEC rivals Auburn and Georgia. He will have some competition at QB, as the Tide could return 4 QB next season.

USC is leading the bidding war on Nash thanks to a week 5 visit. Alabama is still in the fight but they need a lot of help to win this battle. It is unlikely Nash gets to his week 8 visit with Bama before he signs with USC. No other schools have offered him a scholarship but he does have visits scheduled with Texas and Oklahoma.

Bush is being heavily recruited by 3 schools at this point. The Seminoles have a slight lead at this point and they have a visit coming up next week. Ohio State and Miami are the other teams in the mix. Miami had Bush in for a visit in week 5 but still has a lot of ground to make up.

Ohio State has a very large lead at this point but Alabama isn't ready to give up. They scheduled Bryant for a week 6 visit with Virginia Tech. I'm not sure that visit will be enough to change Bryant's mind but the Tide have few other options available in upcoming weeks. This is likely their last shot to change his mind.

#9 - Adam Adams (T #1) 6'4 294 - AZ
    USC headed out to the desert to pluck this kid away from the Sun Devils. Adams will likely be playing his college football career in Southern California. He likely will not wait till his week 12 visit with Arizona State to announce his decision.

#10 - John Lacey (WR #2) 6'3 168 - WY
    Once again USC heads up the list but they have some competition for his services. Oklahoma is hot on the heels of the Trojans and he is visiting Norman, OK this week. Texas and Florida State are also in the mix but would need a lot of help to overcome Oklahoma and USC in the next few weeks.

#11 - Kevin Lester (HB #3) 6'0 214 - GA
    Lester is the second highest ranked player to commit. The Georgia native passed on the SEC and signed with Florida State. He did not even make his scheduled visit before signing his agreement. Auburn, Georgia and Alabama were other schools he considered before selecting Florida State.

#12 - Kyle Goss (HB #4) 5'11 204 - OH
    Goss really likes the in-state Buckeyes and OSU currently is a strong favorite at acquiring this back. Penn State faithful hope his opinions change after watching the Nittany Lions take out Buckeyes during his week 6 visit. Penn State has a lot of ground to make up in this match so it is tough to call at this point. He is scheduled to visit OSU in week 12 but will likely make a decision before that point.

Auburn is a strong favorite at this time for the comedian/mass murderer. Meyers enjoyed his visit to Auburn in week 4. He witnessed the Tigers take out division rival Florida during that visit. The Gators are the main competition for his services and they could steal him away. They have yet to offer a scholarship but have a week 8 visit scheduled with Meyers.

#14 - Adam Brown (HB #5) 6'0 184 - MN
    Brown's choices are all over the map. He is looking at Iowa in the midwest, Oregon in the northwest and Alabama in the southeast. At this time he prefers the Hawkeyes and was impressed with his week 4 visit. He also enjoyed his visit to Oregon that same week, racking up some frequent flier points in the process. His next stop is a week 6 visit against Alabama.

Pennsylvania recruit Williams has been a Nittany Lions fan since he grew up. His family all went to that school and it seems likely the tradition will continue with Matt. He is strongly favoring Penn State at this time and he was in attendance for Penn State's win over Ohio State. Ohio State, Oklahoma and Texas all have visits scheduled but it likely will not matter at this point.

And that is all for this week's issue. Stay tuned next week for a look at the top classes in recruiting and a deeper look into this year's class.

9. Hova

I pulled off of the ATH. I already have my 5 star limit locked up, atleast it looks that way so I didn't risk going over. I assume he will sign to you after the visit anyways.

10. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

I really should learn to keep my leagues straight. I forgot we had a limit on :5stars: in this league since a) I struggled to get 1 last year and b) none of my other leagues have recruiting restrictions on :5stars:. I pulled 1 guy off my board to be safe, though he likely would not sign anyways. Hopefully only 3 of the other 5 I had in for week 6 sign. I have an ATH, C and MLB with my school as #1. I also have 2 HB with my school as #2, but I'm pretty far back on each one.

11. Hova

Ya I think our limit now is good. Naturally we will get progressively better at recruiting and the 5 star prospect numbers are much lower this year. It leaves a nice balance of 5 star signing between different schools.

12. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

[​IMG]

Welcome to the third edition of Best of the Best. This week's issue will continue to look at the top prospects in this class. In the last issue only 2 of the 15 recruits had locked in their choices. A lot has changed as 13 of the 15 have now signed with their future university. First we'll take a look at the last 2 unsigned players in this group.

He is still favoring the Florida Gators but has yet to receive a scholarship offer from that school. Auburn is also pursuing the services of Meyers and they hope to overtake the Gators at some point. Wisconsin and West Virginia have also offered scholarships but are not likely to pass Florida or Auburn at this point.

Penn State still has a very large lead on the competition but the Nittany Lions cannot sign him without breaking the recruiting restrictions. His next choice is Ohio State but they have yet to offer him a scholarship. OSU, Texas and Oklahoma all have visits planned for Williams and those are his mos likely destinations at this point.

Now we move onto the players who did sign and how they fit in with their new teams.

#1 - Curtis Garrett (ATH #1) 6'2 182 - WV (Penn State)
    Garret signed with Penn State and likely ends up at one of the safety positions. He might have the skills to start as a true freshman but he will have competition as Penn State signed 2 ESPN 150 safety last season.

#2 - Sean Jenkins (QB #1) 6'1 220 - TX (Texas)
    His future will likely be determined by Garret Gilbert's decision to play his senior season. If Gilbert comes back then Jenkins likely ends up as a reserve. If Gilbert leaves then there will be a competition between Jenkins and rising sophomore Connor Wood for that vacancy.

#3 - Zach Harrison (HB #1) 5'10 193 - OH (Notre Dame)
    #4 - Andre Vaughn (HB #2) 6'4 227 - NY (Notre Dame)
    I'm pairing these two together as their futures are now intertwined at Notre Dame. Both of these guys will have a shot at the starting role that will be vacated by Jonas Gray. Cierre Wood (Jr.) and Cameron Roberson (R-Fr.) will also compete for that spot.

#5 - Ryan Horn (QB #2) 6'1 189 - TN (Alabama)
    Horn looks like an excellent prospect but he is joining a very loaded team and the Tide are especially deep at QB. AJ McCarron is the starter for Alabama and he still has 2 years of eligibility after this season. Horn also has to compete with Phillip Sims (R-Fr.) and Jamie Ross (Fr.) for time at that position.

#6 - D'Juan Nash (WR #1) 6'3 195 - CA (USC)
    #10 - John Lacey (WR #2) 6'3 168 - WY (USC)
    Nash and Lacy will need to fight for their places on the field. USC is never short at WR and the team currently has a plethora of talent at that position. Nash and Lacey will likely compete for the #5 WR spot but the #4 spot may be open if Brice Butler (R-Jr.) skips his senior season. The Trojans have 3 excellent redshirt freshman on their roster so moving past the #4 spot will be difficult for Nash and Lacey.

#7 Chris Bush (DE #1) 6'0 246 - FL (Florida State)
    Bush joins a favorable situation and he will likely see the field as a true freshman. He may not start but he will at worst be the #3 defensive end for that squad. His competition will be Brandon Jenkins (Jr.) and Toshmon Stevens (R-Jr.)

#8 - Adam Bryant (DT #1) 6'4 283 - KY (Ohio State)
    Bryant looks like a big time talent but he will likely be in a 4-deep rotation for his first year. John Simon (Jr.) is one of the best DT in the country and could be back next year. Garrett Goebel (R-Jr.) and Adam Bellamy also could be back next season for tOSU.

#9 - Adam Adams (T #1) 6'4 294 - AZ (USC)
    Adams fills a big time need for the Trojans and he will likely see the field early. He may not start right away if Kevin Graf (R-So.) switches to right tackle but Adams will likely spell Graf and starting left tackle Matt Kalil (R-Jr.). The starting position at left tackle will likely belong to Adams when Kalil leaves.

#11 - Kevin Lester (HB #3) 6'0 214 - GA (Florida State)
    Lester is another incoming recruit who needs to work for his playing time. Jermaine Thomas runs out of eligibility after this season but Chris Thompson (R-Jr.) and Ty Jones (R-So) are available to take over that spot. Lester will also need to compete with current freshman Brendan Marks for carries next year.

#12 - Kyle Goss (HB #4) 5'11 204 - OH (Penn State)
    Goss shocked the country by signing with Penn State over the in state Buckeyes. With either school Goss would have been behind some talented backs but Nittany Lions may be able to get him on the field quicker. With Stephfon Green graduating, the biggest hurdles for Goss will be Curtis Dukes (R-So.) and Silas Redd (R-Fr.). He likely will spend a few years spelling those two backs but could see some carries late in games.

#14 - Adam Brown (HB #5) 6'0 184 - MN (Alabama)
    As stated above, Alabama is loaded at almost every position. Brown's situation is a little better than future teammate Horn. Bama loses 2 halfbacks this season and Trent Richardson (Jr.) could end up leaving early. In that case Brown would be competing with fellow speedster Eddy Lacey (R-So.) for carries. Bama also has Nicholas Mitchell (So.) on the roster so he could take time away from Brown.

Reader Question of the Week:
    Of the players listed above, which is most likely to have an immediate impact on their school's season next year?

13. Hova

Looks like a lot of Redshirt potentials. T Adam Adams perhaps if he does not RS.

14. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

The Notre Dame backs could possibly start since their backups aren't that high overall. I'm also considering starting Garrett at free safety next season unless Nichols progresses a lot. Not sure about the wide receivers for your school, as I know USC playbook doesn't have any 5-wide sets. The others do look like redshirts.

15. Hova

USC playbook does a have a 5 wide set. Has a shotgun and one under center I believe... But I will most likely redshirt both of them, unless Butler leaves early.

16. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Are you just going to play with 4 WR on your roster next year? From my count you had Butler + 3 redshirt freshmen (Prater, Ambrose, and ???). I can't access Dynasty Wire now to confirm my information was correct.

17. Hova

I would have a total of 6 on my roster not counting the freshman if butler stays. The lower 2 are pretty bad though so one freshman may see time. If Butler leaves one will defiantly not see the redshirt.

18. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Best of the Best - Fourth Edition

In the last article there were 2 unsigned members left in the top 15 but those players found their homes.

Meyers sat down with his parents and they agreed Florida was the best choice. He will have some competition for early playing time as Florida returns the talented duo of Sharrif Floyd and Dominique Easley. Both players are :RS: freshman so he will likely spend most of his career spelling those players.

With Penn State tapped out, Williams elected to go with the rival Ohio State Buckeyes. He joins a very crowded position with the Buckeyes. Star center Michael Brewster leaves but Buckeyes have Jake Mewhort :)RS: SO) ready to step in. They also have current freshman Johnathan Marshall who looks like a future All-American.

Now onto the top classes for this season.

#1 Alabama - 4 :5stars: 12 :4stars: 2 :3stars:
    Top Recruit: Ryan Horn OVR #5 QB #2
    The Tide have put together one of the best classes in recent memory. They have signed 12 players from ESPN 150 a pair of top 15 offensive players. Ryan Horn looks like the most talented QB in this class and Adam Brown could be a burner for Alabama.

#2 USC – 4 :5stars: 5 :4stars: 7 :3stars: 1 :2stars:
    Top Recruit: D'Juan Nash OVR #6 WR #1
    Nash and John Lacey (WR #2) give USC some dangerous weapons to play alongside Kyle Prater, Robert Woods and Markeith Ambrose. The Trojans also grabbed a QB to replace Matt Barkley. Kerry Stanley (QB #4) should be a worthy successor to Barkley and may be forced to start if Barkley leaves early.

#3 Texas – 5 :5stars: 2 :4stars: 4 :3stars:
    Top Recruit: Sean Jenkins OVR #2 QB #1
    I'm not a big Jenkins fan but he should eventually be a starting QB for the Longhorns. He will have some good lineman protecting him as Texas signed Derek Rivas (C #2), Rashad Higgins (T#2) and Andre Bates (C #4). The Longhorns also locked up the top CB in this class, David Bryant. He could be a star down the road.

#4 Penn State – 4 :5stars: 5 :4stars: 2 :3stars:
    Top Recruit: Curtis Garrett OVR #1 ATH #1
    Penn State fought and won the battle for Garrett against USC. The Penn State coaches are excited to have the versatile Garrett coming to Happy Valley. He might start as a true freshman. Along with Garrett the Penn State defense got help with additions of Lee Broussard (DE #2), Ryan Ostrander (MLB #1) and Larry Roberson (DE #8). The Nittany Lions added #4 HB Kyle Goss on offensive side, along with more lineman.

#5 Florida State – 4 :5stars: 3 :4stars: 6 :3stars:
    Top Recruit: Chris Bush OVR #7 DE #1
    The Seminoles added 3 players ranked in ESPN's top 20. Bush is highest rated recruit and he will be joined by #11 Kevin Lester (HB #3) and #20 Eric Carter (WR #3). Lester and Carter join last year's :5stars: recruits Scott Jones and Brendan Marks on the offensive side of the ball for FSU. The Seminoles have a very nice core of young and talented players on that side of the ball. Ricky Mitchell (T #4) is the other key addition for Florida State's offense.

That does it for this season's Best of the Best. Be sure to join us next year for information on the new class. As always please send us your comments and questions.

19. Hova

Good Stuff. I am looking forward to see how these classes pan out. Bama and FSU are looking good right now.

20. Ceewo

Ceewo Walk On

Penn State D has some nice young players coming and should be nasty in the future. USC's air attack should be set, and they always throw well. Combine that with Vickers and watch out PAC10. Alabama will be tough as usual.

21. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Some info on the top 15 of the past recruiting class.

Overall Rating - 84
    Penn State - FS #2

Overall Rating - 82
    Texas - QB #3

Overall Rating - 81
    Notre Dame - HB #2 (tied 2nd highest rating)

Overall Rating - 81
    Notre Dame - HB #2 (tied 2nd highest rating)

Overall Rating - 82
    Alabama - QB #4 (redshirt)

Overall Rating - 84
    USC - WR #5

Overall Rating - 84
    Florida State - Starting LE

Overall Rating - 83
    Ohio State - #4 DT