Best Players by Position

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by PAgamer07, Dec 8, 2012.

1. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

As we progress through the 2017 season, I thought I would take a look at the Best current players and prospects by position around the league. Now that we are in our 6th! Season, it's a great opportunity to evaluate who the game feels are the best at each position both in the majors, and prospects. Ill also mention MY best player by position.

Catcher

[​IMG]

Kyle Skipworth (Minnesota)- Skipworth has the highest power potential (80) in the game. He adds solid contact (65) and eye (65) to the mix. He has been in the league since 2014 and this year looks to be his breakthrough year

[​IMG]

Ron "The Castle" Shloss (Detroit)- The #1 Catching prospect has ratings very, very similar to Skipworth. 80 power potential, although his contact is not as refined. One huge downside to Skipworth is his horrible defense. This guy will be a liability behind the plate and really needs to learn another position. He is already 23 years old, and still underdevloped, so if things dont change soon, expect him to lose his #1 ranking.

[​IMG]

Patrick Tolentino (Arizona)- This is my pick for the best Catcher in the league. It's really, really close between Skipworth and Tolentino, but Patrick is an on base machine. One of the best "pure" hitters in the game at a hard position to find good hitters.

First Baseman

[​IMG]

Clayton Connor (Tampa)- Last year was his first year as a starter and he had an impressive 31 HR and added 84 base on balls. This year he is off to an excellent start.

[​IMG]

Harry "Stick" Boyd (Oakland)- 3rd overall pick in 2014, Boyd has shown some regression in his development. He is still just 22 years old, and now plays for Oakland after a huge CPU trade.

[​IMG]

Junior Guerrera (Tampa) - The game is obviously dumb choosing Connor over Guerrera. 36, 50 and 43 HR the last 3 years. Probably one of the best power hitters in the game.

Second Base

[​IMG]

Brock Holt (Pittsburgh)- Not only the best 2B in the game, but one of the best hitters. He also plays excellent defense as evidenced by his 5.1, 5.9, 5.9 WAR the last 3 years. On a piss poor club, he has been consistently good. Also my pick for best 2B in the league although Melvin Hedgewood (San Diego) is very, very close.

[​IMG]

Ollie Nielsen (Texas)- Excellent Speed, defense and hitting ability Nielsen will be a real stud once he fully develops.

Third Base

[​IMG]

Huck Donahue (Los Angeles Angels)- Gosh darn this guy is good. 80 contact, 70 eye makes him an excellent batter. Above average power and clutch hitting ability makes him a real force in this Angels lineup. His defense isnt the best, but who cares? His 2015 season saw him lead the league in nearly every non-power hitting category, and 1st in VORP.

[​IMG]

Mel Lovelass (Los Angeles Dodgers)- Prototypical power hitting 3B, Lovelass is currently in AAA and should make his debut very, very soon.

[​IMG]

Pablo Sandoval (San Francisco)- 2 time league MVP and the best hitter on an always good Giants team. Until he shows signs of slowing down, he is my pick for best 3B in the league.

Shortstop

[​IMG]

Steve Lombardozzi (Washington)- Nothing flashy about this guy, but the past 3 years he has gotten the job done. Last year was a career year for him, and Noles hopes it continues. I have to agree with the game on this one, especially after last season. Head and shoulders the best SS in the game.

[​IMG]

Chris Greene (Seattle)- The kid has a lot of potential, but his GM has to be worried about his lack of production in the minors. Great speed and hitting potential, he just needs to work a bit harder on it.

Left Field

[​IMG]

Christian Yelich (Miami)- No brainer here. This guy is the reason the Marlins are as good as they are. Probably the best player in the game today. He is a 5 tool player who performs at an incredible level. Hes also my pick for best LF in the game.

Just to show how good? At just 25 years of age this is what he led the league in:

Total Bases- 337
    Home Runs- 42
    Runs- 125
    OBP- .447
    Slugging %- .661
    ISO- .320
    OPS- 1.107
    VORP- 104.7 (Major League Record)
    WAR- 10.8 (Major League Record)

[​IMG]

Lynwood Abbott (Boston)- last year's 4th overall pick, Abbott has potentials off the charts and is currently the #1 prospect in the game. Another 5 tool player, and looks very similar to Yelich.

Centerfield

[​IMG]

Howard Strickland (Washington)- Strickland is an excellent CF in all phases. He already has a gold glove to his name, and he should have a few more before its over with.

[​IMG]

Dallas Billings (New York Mets)- Probably the best power hitting potential of any CF in the game right now, that is what Billings is known for. Not much speed or defense, but he's certainly a player to watch.

[​IMG]

Tommy Morris (Seattle)- Totally disagree with the game's choice here and it's not even close. MOrris is a perfect fit in Seattle and one of the best players in the game.

Right Field

[​IMG]

Bryce Harper (Washington)- Harper has one MVP under his belt already at just 24 years old. The battles between Yelich and Harper will be epic for years. There is nothing to dislike about Harper, and the sky is the limit here. I also agree with the game for this pick.

[​IMG]

Martin Frizzel (St. Louis)- #4 overall pick in 2015, Frizzel has a ton of holes in his game and although has a lot of power, we have to wonder if he can make contact with the ball on a consistent basis.

Starting Pitcher

[​IMG]

Kree "Fighting" Falcon- Gayest name in baseball? Perhaps. But he is certainly one of the best pitchers in the game. He's only 24 years old and last year was 1st in the majors in Quality Start %. A Cy Young is certainly in his future

[​IMG]

SP Luis Parra (Milwaukee)- Yeah.. don't agree with this selection at all. A waiver pickup by the brewers, Parra looks like garbage.

[​IMG]

SP Berde "Extreme" Lauritzen- This guy somehow flies under the radar and yet was near the tops in every pitching category last year. He's my pick for best pitcher in the league.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
    • Like Like x 7
  2. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Lol... Parra?!?!

• Like Like x 1
  3. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Did not know Lombo was that good!

4. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

Astros like to stay under the radar.

5. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Why am I constantly being reminded of my shitty shitty trade

6. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Which trade was that?

7. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

I'm guessing Tolentino?

8. soxandgators

soxandgators The Gator Nation

Where are all the whitesox players ? Awesome work as usually PAgamer07

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sharkman37

Sharkman37 Walk On

Falcon is an awesome name =-)

Schloss will be DHing it a bit when he is up. I don't plan to play him behind the dish very much

10. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    Surprised Hegwood didnt make this list.