Best Rivalry in Football

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by bdub, Aug 10, 2011.

1. bdub

bdub Walk On

Been hearing a lot of rivalry smack on the board lately, got me thinking what is the biggest rivalry in college football today?

2. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

It was, is, and forever will be Ohio State and Michigan. Nothing even approaches it.

Silly Ute :)

3. soxandgators

soxandgators The Gator Nation

There is no doubt this is the top 5 you can put in any order you choose but this is the 5.

Michigan/Ohio St

Oklahoma/Texas

Alabama/Auburn

USC/Notre Dame

Army/Navy

4. bdub

bdub Walk On

I would mostly agree with these, although I would probably replace army/navy with Florida/Florida State. Also while not really a big time rivalry the Utah BYU rivalry is a pretty big one out west.

So what rivalry has the most absolute hate running through it?

5. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

Are we talking about HEATed rivalries? Arizona and Arizona State, baby! It gets HOT out here! ;-)

6. bdub

bdub Walk On

I'm talking pure hate, fans hate each other, players hate each other.

7. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

Some others:

Florida/Georgia
    Florida/FSU
    FSU/Miami

For MSU, the list is:

MSU/Michigan
    MSU/Notre Dame
    MSU/Penn State

I think we'd all agree that Mich/OSU is the most prolific. Jim Tressel's tenure (during which he lost only one game to Michigan) ended without much recent competition from Michigan.

It all seems to circle back to just how much Brady Hoke has on his shoulders for this season. I really wish Greg Mattison was still coaching in the NFL.

8. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

I know USC/Notre Dame is a big one, but surprised it hit your top 5 over Florida/Florida State or even Texas/Texas A&M.

I think I'd put all 5 of yours in my top 5 but may swap in Florida/Florida State for USC/Notre Dame.

I like to watch the West Virginia/Pitt game too, even though its a smaller rivalry than the top 5.

Another cool ass one that I don't like to miss is Oregon/Oregon State.

9. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

According to Mr. Worthy, shouldn't Mizzou be in your list of Sparty rivals?
    [​IMG]
    Is that a Mizzou Wolverine? Or a Tiger?​

What a dumb shit.​

10. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

That's unfortunate for him. I wont pretend to be able to relate to all of our athletes, but I appreciate the spirit of the gesture.

11. Big D

Big D Walk On

This is so subjective it's a silly question.

I've been a part of a ton of college football rivalries, and you will never convince me there is more hatred that between UW-WSU. There is NOT an in state rivalry that aspires more passion, more hate, and literally splits a state down the middle. Fans arrested, crowd throwing bottles at opposing players coaches flipping eachother off, serious AD smack talk in the press, etc. All those things happened in thast 4 years. And that's with two bad programs recently.

Furthermore, this is a rivalry that is a deep seeded hatred in football but in basketball, baseball, volleyball....everything. If you live in Washington you are either a Husky or Cougar. You pick a side, there is no in between. And god help you if you get caught alone in enemy territory.

Let me say that again. . .there is NOT an in-state rivalry as good as Wazzu-UW. Period, end of story. The Arizona-ASU and Florida-FSU references above are laughable.

12. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

I appreciate his intelligence. It provides me with laughs randomly at work.

13. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

What about the Civil War? Not sure how the other sports shake out, or if anyone has ever been to one, but seems like a big deal???

14. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Hmmm... It's weird that it doesn't garner that much coverage in my sports memory... Am I wrong?

It definitely would have been cool to see back when both teams were relevant, or even when one of them was real good.

15. Big D

Big D Walk On

WSU-UW is the feature game that week on the West Coast in all spots when they play. It's odd how the game nearly ALWAYS means something. . .and that's not an exaggeration. Rose Bowl berths and even National Championship picture was influenced most years from 1990-2004. Since then, it has nearly always meant a bowl berth for one program or the other.

However the true test of a rivalry is the hatred between the schools and fan bases no matter what the records of the teams. Trust me when I tell you it hasn't lost one ounch of ferver the past few seasons. The emergence of the UW and WSU basketball programs has also helped the rivalry tremendously.

LMAO. If you only knew how funny that statement is. There is no comparison my friend. Go to Portland. . .they'll tell ya.

16. Big D

Big D Walk On

I think that people just don't get it. I've been in New Orleans for 6 months now, and let me tell you the PASSION they have for their football. As a whole, the passion is overwhelming. . .way more than we had up in the Northwest.

However, with all their passion for LSU they don't talk about "that team" that they hate. . .the rival of all rivals that they just HAVE to beat each year.

You ask any UW or WSU fan about football, and the first thing any of them is going to say is something about beating the other. The whole football existence in the state of Washington is built upon being better than the other school. From building stadiums and facilities, to recruiting wars, to broadcast rights and press coverage. . .it is a perpetural competition between the two. It drives EVERYTHING.

Maybe it's because of the relative isolation of the state and limited national coverage.

Cougar fans don't care about having a Top 25 recruiting class. They care about having a better recruiting class than UW.

Husky fans don't care about competing with Oregon's football facilities. They only care about making sure their stadium is cooler and more hip than WSU's (reference the stadium remodel grant battles that just happened in the state legislature between the two schools).

Neither program cares about competing with Texas or Notre Dame or Florida on the national stage. It's ALL, and I mean ALL about just being better than the other school.

In short, everything football and college athletics at UW and WSU is driven BY the rivalry between the two schools. Not the conference, not the region, not a cross state rival....but your in state State University rival. It's truly special, and symbiotic rivalry that not many, if any, other states experience.

Hell just ask Emmdotfrisk about it. He didn't even go to school there, but for the time he lived in WA State I guarantee you he now is either a Husky or Cougar.

17. bdub

bdub Walk On

Add religion to that and you have the BYU Utah rivalry

18. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

I agree that this is very subjective. Suggesting that UW/WSU is the single greatest in-state rivalry is even more subjective. I can appreciate that the dynamic is different than that in Michigan (where MSU's biggest rival does not think of MSU as their biggest rival), but I have never seen a WSU/UW game and know next to nothing about that rivalry. Does that make it less important? No - it just shows that rivalries are significant between the fans of the two schools and, only in special cases, for other fans as well.

It's those special cases that make the list. The other's are still important, but there are only a handful that extend beyond the realm of the fan bases for the participating schools. For me, I think the A-list is smaller:

Michigan/Ohio State
    Texas/Oklahoma
    Florida/Florida State

19. bdub

bdub Walk On

I would agree with this list, while I don't know anyone involved in the Texas Oklahoma rivalry it seems to not have as much hate involved.

20. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

I don't know that it has to be measured in hate. I love to see Michigan lose at anything, but I respect their program. I can't say that I hate them. I like to poke fun at the overwhelming numbers of Michigan fans that have no association with the school or (seemingly) any form of education. And I very much hate their special combination of arrogance and ignorance, but I don't hate Mike Hart, Lloyd Carr or the players. I loved Rich Rodriguez and I loved Tate Forcier's pouting. I loved Lloyd Carr's last game against Florida - one of the most exciting bowl games I've watched.

I don't think that hate is required. Maybe I'm naive and maybe I don't understand, but I think it has more to do with history and balance.

21. Big D

Big D Walk On

Ugh. . .it makes me shudder to think about saying something positive about anything UW. Yuck.

You guys up in Michigan are soft. You won't see a Cougar go all lovey dovey on Sarkisian, or Locker, or Lorenzo Romar. I hope they all fail terribly and wish nothing but the worst for them professionally.

22. Big D

Big D Walk On

Again, I think the relative ignorance of people off the West Coast don't get how we think. I doubt if there are many people out West who genuinely give a crap about any of those games you just said. Diehard football fans. . .maybe but I don't even know about that. They know about the rivalries, but genuinely caring? No way. Not a chance.

Let me just put it this way. Per capita, there are more people in Washington who are invested in the Apple cup than people in Michigan invested in Michigan/Michigan state, more people than in Florida who care about Florida/Florida State, etc etc. I can say that with 99% certainty.

The only one that I've seen as an in-state rivalry that would compare is Oklahoma-Oklahoma State. That rivalry IS hatred, and very intense.

23. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

That could be the result of living in San Diego for the past 12 years.

24. Big D

Big D Walk On

Could be. I can't imagine a Husky saying anything nice about a Cougar. Or vise versa. It's perplexing to me. LOL

25. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Wait... UW/Wazzu > the Iron Bowl????