Best TV for NCAA

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by jdrhammer, Jun 28, 2010.

1. jdrhammer

jdrhammer S E C Speed

Best TV for NCAA

I'm in the market for a new television. I'm pretty much down to either a Sony or Samsung (I hear Samsung is better due to higher refresher rate, not sure though), and I'm looking at anywhere from 46"-50" screens.

It's most likely I'll get LCD due to $$$ but I've seen some pretty sweet deals on LED's (which seem a little better and mo' $$$) and the Plasma's are basically being given away but the chance of getting the burn out scares the daylights out of me. I think I saw a 48 or 50" Samsung Plasma in Best Buy for around $600 on sale. That's hard to beat.

I'd love to have some feed back from all of you on what you have and your experience with each type.

2. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

I bought the Samsung 52" from best buy this past fall. Unbelievable TV. It's a really crazy experience. I spent weeks upon weeks at Best Buy and other electronics stores looking at all the TVs they have as well as the internet doing research. The LEDs do look amazing, but they're simply not worth the extra $$$ IMO. They look better in the store but I believe that's because they're usually running a blu-ray advertising video through them while all the other TVs get cable feeds or DVDs or regular blu-rays that may not be made to showcase the LED TV specifically.

I couldn't decide between the 55" and 52" and the difference in pixels and refresh rates. In the end, I got the Samsung for the look of it which is much sleeker than the Sony's. It definitely looks sick in the apartment. I also went with the higher refresh rate, 240 hz, and I think that's bigger than some people would lead you to believe. Lastly, I went 52" instead of 55" and when I got it home, I couldn't believe how big it was. The 52" actually looked too big but I'm used to it now.

The bottom line is anything you buy new will probably be a huge upgrade over what your currently watching so keep the money in your pocket and don't buy a cutting edge TV as the technology is over priced.

Lastly, if you don't know already, don't waste your money buying any accessories from Best Buy (i.e. monster cables, HDMI cords, power surge protectors, etc.). Best Buy marks these up way beyond what they should be and there's truly no noticeable advantage in more expensive wires or cables. Look online through amazon.com or just search for the wires. I think I got ethernet cords, monster cables, a surge protector, surround sound wires, and 4 speaker stands for less than $50. It would of easily cost $500 at Best Buy.

3. GoGators

Also, as a side note, the new 52" TV compared to my ole 27" has allowed me to be a much better NCAA player. It's a lot easier when you can actually see the field and the holes w/o needing to squint cause the TVs so small.

4. GoGators

Samsung LN52B750 52-Inch 1080p 240 Hz LCD HDTV with Charcoal Grey Touch of Color

This is the model I ended up going with.

150,000:1 contrast ratio
    1080p
    240 hz

It's sick. I've had no problems with it, and watching TV anywhere else causes me to laugh cause it's unlikely their TV compares to mine (maybe I should find richer friends haha) If it's in your price range, I'd highly recommend it.

5. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Any TV that has my Wolverines on it....

Seriously, I'm not a TV guy but I have a big ass TV (my thank God I survived Iraq gift, lol) but I've seen some German TVs that really have me jealous. I don't know if their LEDs or not (can watch stuff in 3D on 'em) but their are the definition of "flat". All the TVs are no more than 2 inches deep.

But if I was in the market for a TV I would aim for one of those assuming the TVs I seen here in Germany are LEDs

6. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

Samsung and Plasma.....

7. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I got a 40" Samsung 120 hz LED TV and its great. The brightness with the LED's is vital, IMO -- every other TV just seemed too dark.

As far as it pertains specifically to NCAA football/gaming, it actually isn't the best. The game renderings tend to be too sharp and jagged, when I was hoping for a look with a better anti-alias effect. I can tweak the look of it a bit, but I'm not really finding a setting that can make it truly look like I want it to.

Like Gators said, anything you get will likely be a nice upgrade so you really don't even need to worry that much. Don't spend more than $1,200 for a TV -- IMO there is absolutely no need to ever spend more then that, based on what technology is being used at the moment. While some TV's have the CAPABILITY for certain technology, it isn't wide-spread yet, and for me, I don't need anything along those lines at this point.

8. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I have a 50" Samsung Plasma.

As long as your not a complete moron, burn in has never been an issue. Colors are very vibrant and you don't have the motion blur you get from LCD's.

9. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    ... older LCDs that don't have the dynamic contrast ratios and refresh rates that are comparable or superior to current plasma technology.

Within the last two years LCDs have really gained a lot of ground on the plasma market. Currently, the only real advantage Plasmas have is the ability to render dark colors, specifically blacks. Even that is changing with the new LED LCDs.

JDR, there are two or three threads that I went into great detail about TV selection. Might want to search for them and read them through. The only thing I would probably change from my previous posts is that I have a TV with 120Hz that I actually like. The 1st and 2nd gen logic for this technology was crap. Now that the 240Hz and beyond have surfaced, it's a lot more stable and more intuitive for your eyes.

10. jdrhammer

jdrhammer S E C Speed

Thanks for the help guys! I appreciate it. That plasma for $600 may be the route I go. That's just too damn cheap. Drifterbub, I'll definitely look up those threads.

11. jdrhammer

jdrhammer S E C Speed

Nevermind, the 50" Samsung plasma for $719.99 is 720p. I knew it was too good to be true.

There's a 50" Samsung plasma Class in 1080p with 600Hz for $999.99. I really like the LCD but when I can get a Plasma for less $$$, shouldn't I??? I guess I may catch a 50" LCD for < $1,000 sometime.

So basically, the Insignia's and Panasonic's suck, right?

12. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I think the Insignia is Best Buy's retail brand. I heard it was made with samsung parts (mainly internals) but I don't have anything to prove that.

Panasonic makes good stuff. I was looking at a few of their lower market plasmas a year or so ago. Wish I could remember the model numbers...

The reason the prices of plasmas have tanked is because of the development and success of the latest LCD technology. They no longer have particular advantages.

I can't really tell you what to buy. They are plenty of buying guides out there that compare your options. The beautiful thing is that the TV market is VERY competitive and you are bound to find some really great deals out there.

13. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

I have had my eye on the Vizio M550NV, a 1080p 55" LED with 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio. I really want to see what games look like on it though, blu ray looks incredible.

14. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    For me (read: on a budget), the price difference is a big deal also.

I got my 50" Sammy plasma for under $800.

15. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    For cables I get almost all of mine from monoprice.com or try to grab some cheap HDMI from ebay.

As for the TV, I bought a 65 inch Samsung DLP last January when the price dropped to around 1000. I really like it for everything I do.

16. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I'm right there with you. I paid $800 a piece for both of my 47" LCDs. I was looking at several that were a bit cheaper, but I really liked the functions and features of the LGs.

17. GoGators

Monoprice.com is where I went too. I couldn't remember the site off the top of my head. Great place.