BfR's GOW: Week 5, Season 3

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Ryty, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

BfR's GOW: Week 5, Season 3

[​IMG]

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (TF) -- The week 5 game of the week features the undefeated #3 ranked Iowa Hawkeyes who travel to face the 2 - 1 #9 ranked Penn State Nittany Lions. Penn State has dominated the Big Ten for the last two seasons. Has Iowa improved enough to dethrone the Lions? This will be the Hawkeyes biggest test of the early season.

This game will be most likely be decided by which team is able to establish a running game. Both teams are ranked in the top 5 in the nation in rushing with Penn State ranked 5th (788 yards) and Iowa ranked #3 (924 yards).

The Penn State combination of Senior Captain Stephfon Green and Sophomore Curtis Dukes are similar to the Titans "Thunder and Lighting" of Chris Johnson and Lendale White. Curtis Dukes is a powerful 238 pound back that can run between the tackles while Green is your typical speed back that can score anytime he touches the ball.

The Iowa running game is lead by three different backs. Sophomore Brandon Wegher lead the team in carries with 81. He is an elusive back with good speed. The next back is Elliot King who is a freshman with good speed and a little more power than Wegher. Finally, Senior Jeff Brinson is your standard workmanlike back. He isn't really flashy, but is above average at pretty much everything.

On defense, both teams have struggled somewhat early on. Both teams are ranked near the bottom of the Big 10 in yards allowed. However, Penn State has a ton of talent on that side of the ball. Once again, Linebacker U has three star linebackers in All-American ROLB Nathan Stupar, All-American LOLB Michael Mauti, and MLB Andrew Dailey. The Lions also have a fantastic secondary.

Matchups

[​IMG]

Prediction

Penn State - 24
    Iowa - 10

I don't think Iowa is there yet. (No offense, H2!)

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gZxxh1TeXcU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gZxxh1TeXcU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

2. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

I pick PSU not just because i hate Iowa it because i truly hate Iowa lol

3. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

I think Iowa can win. Happy Valley, isn't impossible to conquer any more, Bama proved that. H22 will prepare his squad right and take care of business.

4. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

In I guess what is being called the game of the week, Cimmy and I get to duke it out. This game is going to be a slugfest. It may have something to do with the fact that we have split the first two games between us. It could also be that I was his only loss in Big10 last year and cost him a shot at the NC. Some might say, he won the Big10 in '09, you won it in '10. I believe it really comes down to the fact that we play each other tough, every game, no matter what OD it is. And the added misery of both our teams losing in real life this weekend could lead to some interesting moments. Either way, this is one of a few I always look forward to. Good luck Cimmy, here I come for some "Creamery" ice cream.

Mike

5. Jvigorous1

Jvigorous1 Hokie

On paper the game is stacked heavily in favor for Penn State.

Penn State has the speed and strength to dominate this game and Iowa hasn't truely been tested yet with a weak beginning schedule for the season.

But we all know it's not the matchups on paper that wins games but the strategy and intensity implemented during the game that determines the outcome. Penn State lost a close on to Alabama at home earlier this season and lost to Iowa last season. With momentum on Iowa's side I predict Iowa to come out on top of this matchup by 3, 31-28.

6. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Whoa...looking at that table...idk...I don't think Iowa and H22 is getting enough love. What you see on paper, isn't going to predict the winner. We all know what happened in the last game at Happy Valley this season...we got beat by Bama, and before the supersim, Bama's HB Richardson had 400+ yards and 7 TDs...unrealistic, but it happened. I really see this game as a toss up. H22 will bring it for sure, and there is no way I am going to let anyone win in the Beaver easily. Let's slug it out my man.

7. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

WOW

That is all that needs to be said. 60 minutes wasn't enough. Neither was 2 OT's. It took 3 OT's to find a winner in this game. And if not for a very good defensive call, it could have gone further. Cimmy, great game. Yet again another epic battle. This one could go back and forth forever.

Mike

8. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Another epic battle between these two teams. Iowa came into Happy Valley looking to give PSU their first 2 loss season in 3 years, while the Nittany Lions were looking for revenge after Iowa ruined their National Championship hopes last year. Iowa would jump out to a 21-7 lead early, but the Lions would bring it back. Going up 35-38 late, the Lions defense needed to hold Iowa with 2 minutes left. The Hawkeyes would drive the field and tie the game at 35 sending it to overtime. It wouldn't take just one overtime to decide it, no, these two teams went to OT number 3. Iowa would start the third OT on offense and would throw a crucial interception. Penn State would drive and put the winning field goal through the uprights to give Iowa their first loss of the season, and revenging last seasons loss.

Final Score: 52-49 Penn State