Bidding Thoughts

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by H0TT NIKKELs, Sep 21, 2011.

1. H0TT NIKKELs

H0TT NIKKELs Walk On

Im not making this post to start trouble or anything. But i think some of the bidding that is being done is to take advantage of some of the lapses in the league manager program. Everyone knows that some teams have alot more cap space than others. But to sign a player to a one year deal for a huge amount of money and then knowing you can resign him during the season or after the season for alot less in BS.

And to me if you will do this on MLM. Then you will take short cuts in a game to win.

2. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

We had this conversation in the CB. I will break-down the tactic being employed on Devine right now:

A pot and very young, so you know he'll progress nicely. Said winning bidder is going to bench him on a 1 year $10M+ contract deal, and then re-sign him on a multi-year deal that is something around $800k/year.

This gives a distinct advantage to those with the most cap space. I think it undermines realistic roster management.

*Cough*..thoughts Keller ?

3. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

The system isn't perfect, but it is the same for everyone. There is no guarantee that any player who already has a large contract won't then demand an even larger contract when being re-signed. We can only assume that they won't but that doesn't necessarily mean thats what will happen. MLM will be continually changing - maybe thats one of the things that gets addressed.

4. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

They should be forced to sign him to a multi year deal OR forced to cut him back into free agency after his 10 million dollar deal runs out

5. Keller

The teams with the most cap space also have the worst teams.

6. stryder24

stryder24 Walk On

I agree the one year contract is an exploit and shouldn't be allowed

Device at 1st had a 5 year contract, then 3, and now is 12 mil for one?? Ridiculous.

7. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Just ban guys rated under 75 from signing to 1 year deals, that will stop the nonsense real quick

8. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

People need to relax a bit. If someone wants to sign a player for 12 mill and 1 year and you don't like it, then up the bid and get him for yourself.

There are 32 teams and anyone can bid how they want and how they feel it will help there team. Some teams may have a lot of players to sign next year so they may not want to tie up that cap room past 1 season. The reasons are never ending.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

Hahaa, you would think so in most cases, but the Vikes stink and have NO CAP room! It's goingt to take some serious GM skills to turn this franchise around. Erin Henderson (65 OVR C pot)... starting LOLB @1.2 million a year... C'mon man!

10. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

Agreed!

11. Keller

This is pretty much where I stand.

Free agency is a free market - and the market determines the value of the player. Teams are entitled to bid how they choose - some teams have more cap space than others, sure, but are the Green Bay Packers really all that upset about losing out on Noel Devine? I doubt it.

12. stryder24

stryder24 Walk On

I think the point was, sign him for 15 mil, then resigning him for 1 mil was an exploit, but, to each his own

13. H0TT NIKKELs

H0TT NIKKELs Walk On

Since i started this i will say where i stand i dont care about Devine but the taking advantage of the exploits. Because no player will sign for 10 million dollars a year and then come back and sign a deal for less than that. So its not about out bidding its the way the bidding is done.

So now i will shut up.

• Like Like x 1
  14. stryder24

stryder24 Walk On

I guess u could look at it as, u are bidding for the right to sign him to a long term deal...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Keller

There are a million different ways to look at this.

There is also NO guarantee that Devine will sign for a normal contract after the 1st one is up. We can assume he will, but in reality we don't know if the MLM system takes into account previous contracts or not.

Its a gamble.... a 12 million dollar gamble.

16. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

but with no real attached cap hit...

• Like Like x 1
  17. Keller

Because the cap hit in year 1 means nothing?

18. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

There will be a cap hit, they won't know it untill half the team is out with broken collar bones and they need to sign some guys out of FA. Hard to do that without money. And if my off-line franchise is any indication, every team will be at the max 8 injured players by week 2.:eek: I like it though, makes me feel better about my organization and OUR direction. Capitalism at it's finest.

Lessons are learned only from failure to succeed.

19. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

My proposition on a good system to use for bidding.

Common Sense

20. Keller

If we used this arbitrary, non-quantifiable system for judging bids/decisions - I would either be forced to step down as Commissioner or the TMFL would cease to exist in less than a week.

• Like Like x 2
  21. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

We can always implement a system similar to MLB.

Classify players into tiers (a,b,c)

The player who signs the free agent loses a draft pick equivalent to their tier and that draft pick goes to the team who lost the player. You dont have to worry about salaries at all that way, just tiers of free agents. A lot less micromanaging IMO AND it adds a new level to rebuilding a team.

You want to sign a Tier A free agent for a huge one year deal? Fine, it will cost you a 1st or 2nd round pick.