Big 10 Media Day

Discussion in 'Chompion's League' started by Spayer419, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    An exciting year upcoming in the Big 10. Notre Dame finally joins the conference, with the reigning Heisman winner returning, looking to make history in many ways. Florida State also joins the conference, expanding the conference's brand down south and adding some much needed competition in the Leaders Division. We sat down with the four Big 10 coaches to talk about conference expansion, incoming freshmen, the upcoming season and much more. Feel free to ask any of the coaches additional questions throughout the day. ​

• Like Like x 1
  2. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

How would you summarize last season, how will your team be different this season?
    At Ohio State you have three goals, and they are the same every year. Win the national championship, win the Big 10, beat Michigan. We accomplished two of those three, and also won the Rose Bowl, which is the next best thing to a national championship. Given how young we were, it was a very successful season, but we still have room to grow. I think that win over Wisconsin, that was big, that really turned our season around. I think that, if we accomplish all of our goals this year, and by that I mean if we win the national title, we can look back and say the win at Wisconsin a year ago, that win really propelled us forward. It gave us a lot of confidence.

Our team is a year more experienced, most importantly at quarterback with Braxton Miller. He's had a year to learn the system, and we have brought in some players that are better suited to run the spread.

What one player will you miss the most from last year?
    John Simon. On paper he will obviously be missed. He led our team in sacks with 17, and also broke the school record with that mark. But his versatility was so understated, and that above all is what we will really miss. It didn't matter if he lined up at end or tackle. It didn't matter if he was rushing, spying or dropping into coverage. He was always the most dominant player on the field.

What one player is prime to have a breakout season?
    Braxton had a very impressive season last year, but I think he has the chance to put up some gaudy numbers. Tim Tebow kind of numbers. He has the right weapons around him and is just a more confident player, a more confident passer. Noah Spence and Adolphus Washington also have an opportunity to thrive in expanded roles on the defensive line.

What freshmen could have an instant impact?
    Everyone knows the answer to this one, Ray Hall and Tavaris McLaurin. We sorely lacked playmaking on the perimeter last year, and we feel that this duo will significantly help us in that area. Ray Hall is the perfect player for the "Pivot" position, which Percy Harvin made so famous while at Florida. He can run, catch, come in motion and occasionally burst through the tackles. TMC is a very impressive runner, he's just so fluid. They will be on the field a lot together and that should open things up for everyone else. Last year it was really just Braxton and occasionally Corey Brown, those were the two guys with big play capability. With Ray and TMC in the fold, there's just more speed to defend.

On defense Justin McKnight is in position to start at outside linebacker. We love his speed, he is an absolute ball hawk. Odell Gay could also see some time at the "Star" position. And don't count out Sam McNair, he could see some time as part of the defensive line rotation.

What do you think of the expansion with ND and FSU? How will that immediately impact the conference.
    It's a very exciting time for the Big 10. I'm a big believer that if you are an elite player, than you are likely an elite competitor, so I think this will only help our recruiting. Look at the SEC, the best high school players in the country want to play there, to play on the biggest stage against the best teams. I think the Big 10 is headed in that direction.

I've been hearing a lot of noise out of Columbus about McLaurin and Hall and the excitement they are going to bring to the offense right away this season. How does a returning Carlos Hyde fit in to the offense? Is he happy about sharing the load with freshmen?
    I think that is just the natural tendency with college football fans and recruiting. I remember when I was at Florida, when we brought in Tim Tebow, fans wanted to see him play and be a star right away. But we also had Chris Leak, an accomplished senior quarterback, who led us to the national championship that season.

Carlos' role will be similar to last season. He will be the featured back out of the pistol and used sparingly, if at all, from the shotgun. That's just playing toward our players strengths. Ray and TMC aren't big, powerful, backs. Carlos is. He thrives in the pistol. So he will get carries from that formation and be our short yardage back.

Ray and Tavaris are really just filling Jordan Hall's shoes, we just think they are better suited to do so. And that's not a knock against Jordan, he was a difference maker especially at the end of the season for us, it's really just a testament of how highly we regard Ray and TMC.

As far as how does Carlos feel about sharing the load, Carlos is a competitor. He wants to win. He was on that 6-7 team in 2011. He knows what the other side of the equation is like. He knows that sharing the load only helps us as a team, and he has embraced it.

Talk about your revolving door on the defensive line. What players have the best chance to step up and fill the big shoes of John Simon and his record-breaking season last year?
    Noah Spence and Adolphus Washington were big time recruits a year ago, and both played extremely well as backups last season. Se'Von Pittman, Kyle Frazier and Sam McNair are all capable of seeing the field and contributing. John Hankins and Michael Bennett are difference makers. It won't be one guy this year, like it was with John Simon, but as a committee we think this line might actually be better. We don't expect a drop off at all.

The marquee non-conference game this next season might very well be your showdown with the defending national champs. Tell us how you prepare to face a defense like Virginia Tech. What are the expectations that you have for your team in that game?
    All I can really say is that we are excited. Our coaches are excited. Our players our excited. Our fans are excited. To host the defending national champions, it just doesn't get much better than that from a competition standpoint. We know that the Shoe will be rocking and our players will be ready. They love playing big-time non conference games like this.

I'm really impressed with what CJTHA1 did last season at Virginia Tech. But the beauty of being an offensive coach is that you really don't gameplan to face an elite defense. You know that they are going to be extraordinarily tough and disciplined, but from a schematic standpoint you really don't do anything differently. We have so much confidence in our offense this year, we really think it will be among the best in the country. So it will be interested to see how their defense matches up with us.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jandy

jandy Walk On

Obviously the goal every year is to beat Ohio State. You lost to them twice in consecutive weeks last year. Can you talk about that and how you plan to bounce back on your rival?
    The loss in the B1G Championship was tough. We were so close and really thought we could have won that game had a couple things gone differently. We'll just use it as added motivation for next year's matchup that will hopefully be in Ann Arbor. Although our team won't be as good as last year's, we still expect to perform well and compete for the conference championship.

How will Trick Washington fit in with this offense? Could he be the starting quarterback, or just a situational guy?
    It's a very tough decision on what to do with this obviously extremely talented young man. With Devin Gardner on the roster, the senior is #1 on the depth chart and has proven he's a winner in the limited play he had last season. If Trick doesn't see a redshirt, he will see playing time, but how much is to be determined at a later date. He will not be the week 1 starter, that much is for certain.

What kind of system are you planning to install at Michigan? You have stated that you prefer a pro-style offense, but your recruiting efforts point to an option attack.
    Trick is a great passer, as well as a great runner, and will thrive in any offense that we run. It depends on what kind of guys we can put around him that will determine what kind of offense Michigan will run. Time will tell for the Wolverines.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  4. TheMNorthFace

TheMNorthFace Walk On

Talk a little about the transition to the Big 10. What are some of the biggest challenges to that move and what makes it so exciting?

The biggest challenge will be obviously the added pressure to win within a division. As an Independent, all you needed to focus on was winning. Now there's the added dimension of worrying about interdivisional foes and all that jazz. It'll be exciting to play for one more trophy though, and you can't beat the tradition of the Rose Bowl.

What are the plans with quarterback this season? Reese and Gholson both had their moments last season,
    will it be a platoon again or would you like for one of them to pull away with the job.

I'd expect them to platoon again. I think you'll see Rees getting a lot more snaps, but you can bet Golson will get 5-10 carries a game on the ground. He's too big of a playmaker to not see the field.

What about Gunner Kiel. Does he figure to see any action this year?

Gunner will be used in situations when the game is out of hand. In our eyes, he is still at least a year, maybe two away from playing for the starting position. The arm is there, but he's a bit young and still has a lot to learn about playing at this level.

Can you talk about Cierre Wood and Tyler Eifert, their decisions to return and what that means to your program?

Cierre and Tyler talked about it, and they couldn't see themselves leaving the program at such an exciting time. Coming off a 12 win season and now moving to the Big Ten, South Bend is the place to be. They both feel like this team can play for it all and they didn't want to miss that opportunity.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Glen Cieske

Glen Cieske Walk On

How would you summarize last season, how will your team be different this season?
    Last season we were a very young team, our senior leadership did a great job bringing these guys together as a team, which was shown by our conference record at the end of the year. We are more experienced than last year, we have some very talented offensive and defensive linemen looking to have great years.We will be faster James [White] brings speed to the table and we got a couple freshman who will make an impact on both sides of the ball.
    What one player will you miss the most from last year?
    Chris Borland, he was our leader on Defense and a great MLB. We are depending on players with little experience at out LB core but they will be prepared and will go hard every play.
    What one player is prime to have a breakout season?
    James White. White has been waiting for the last 3 years to get his opportunity to have the full work load in this offense. His experienced, tough, smart and fast don't be surprised if you see him in NY for the Heisman presentation this year.
    What freshmen could have an instant impact?
    FR(RS) Bart Houston is looking to take over as the starting QB, he had a great summer and really improved on his accuracy something O’Brien had some problems with in big games. Plus he’s[Bart] a winner, leading his high school team (De La Salle) to three straight California state titles.

Can you talk a little bit about your out of conference user game? What do you know about that team/user, what do you expect from that matchup.
    I don’t know much, he was in the Nat’l title game which says enough to me. I’m expecting to be in for a tough game the next two years, only wish was that they were coming to Madison in the winter.
    What do you think of the expansion with ND and FSU? How will that immediately impact the conference.
    The expansion will bring great things to this conference, possibly a new champion every year and we will start to see a lot of speed on the field on a regular basis.

You went from a national title contender one week, to watching the Big 10 championship game from home the next week. Can you talk about the disappointment of losing that game to OSU, and the rivalry that seems to be budding between your two programs?
    The loss to OSU was extremely tough, they knock us out of the National title game the year before as well. They will always be tough behind Meyers coaching, I would expect every game to come down to the wire year after year.

Can you talk about the loss of Monte Ball and how James White plans on filling those shoes?
    Montee was a special player and nobody will be able to fill his shoes, that being said White is looking to cement his own legacy here in Madison on his own terms.

It seems that the Big 10 is evolving into a more athletic conference. Ohio State brought in some great speed backs and Michigan signed Trick Washington. Notre Dame and Florida State joining the conference also points to a shift in philosophy. Wisconsin has always been a smash-mouth football team. How do you plan on keeping up with the rest of the conference while maintaining that identity?
    We will continue to be a smash-mouth football team. We will open the playbook some more this year maybe add a few wrinkles here and there. I believe we have the speed to contend against the spread offenses that are developing in the big 10. The thing is we don’t feel forced to keep up with the rest of the conference, we are confident we can make them play our type of football on our terms.

• Like Like x 1