Big 10 Media Days

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Diddy81, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Big 10 Media Days

BIG 10 MEDIA DAYS

[​IMG]

In this thread each BIG 10 coach will answer a few questions about their team. They will also fill out a supperlative list. Copy and paste your team's page with the answers or send me the answers in a pm.

2. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

PENN STATE

[​IMG]

Coach, How does it feel to be a part of the premier conference in college football?

Curtis Dukes has been faithful and waited his turn, what kind of impact will he have on the offense?

How did the National title loss motivate the remaining players and coaches?

WHo is going to step up at Linebacker U this season?

Big 10 Champion-

Big 10 Offensive player of the year-
    Big 10 Defensive Player of the year-

Big 10 Freshman of the year-

Big 10 Coach of the year-

3. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

I O W A

[​IMG]

Coach what is the solution at QB this season?

What willit take to put Iowa back in the Big 10 title conversation?

What does your defensive unit look like for this season?

How tough is the schedule this season?

Big 10 Champion-

Big 10 offensive player of the year-

Big 10 defensive player of the year-

Big 10 freshman of the year-

4. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

Very nice work with the Media Days, sir!

5. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

THE OHIO STATE

[​IMG]

Coach you did it again and won it all, what was the key?

WHo takes over for Pryor and what can we expect from this signal caller?

How much better is the Big 10 than the other BCS conferences?

What will be the toughest parts to replace to the National Title squad?

What player or position group is the key to another Buckeye title?

Big 10 Champion-

Big 10 offensive player of the year-

Big 10 defensive Player of the year-

Big 10 freshman of the year-

6. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

MICHIGAN

[​IMG]

WHo is your starter at QB this year and why?

Vincent Smith and Touissant are in the backfield do they mirror any backs of the past?

What will it take to get it done vs. the hated Buckeyes?

Is your defense in a position to make you a contender?

Your OOC schedule includes Florida, last time you played you took it to Tebow and the Orange and Blue, any smack talk for the boys in Gainesville?

Big 10 Champions-

Big 10 offensive player of year-

Big 10 defensive player of year-

Big 10 freshman of year-

Big 10 Coach of year-

7. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

[​IMG]

Coach, Penn State lost some major talent on the defensive side of the ball to the NFL Draft and graduation. How did unit look in Spring practice?
    Our defense did lose some great players to the Draft and Graduation and we wish them the best of luck. We have plenty of depth on the defensive side of the ball. Losing Lee was heartbreaking, but we do have guys who can fill the gaps in the linebacking corps. Colasanti, Stupar, and Bani are front runners for the starting 3 at the moment. However, with the signing of Hull and Fortt, we still have depth. Losing Odrick really hurt, but we do have Devon Still to fill the gap, and the 3 returning lineman, Ogbu, Latimore, and Crawford will keep it together. Our secondary as well is prime with Astorino, Sukay, Lynn, and Morris. I'm not worried about this defense.

Word is that Kevin Newsome will get the nod at QB, what does he bring to the table? Strengths/Weaknesses?
    Kevin is definitely the guy will be going with. He has great mobility with his legs and among the 3 guys in contention, he does have some experience from last season. With the offensive line we will be giving him, he will get time in the pocket. So although he does still have work to do with his arm, we should see a productive year out of Kevin. I think he will surprise these analysts.

Will the offense be ultra conservative to protect him?
    Not at all. We will play to win and play in the Penn State way. Again, our offensive line is one of the best in the country, and with the running backs Royster and Green being such weapons in the backfield, we are not worried about our offensive production.

Evan Royster is on most experts short list for a Heisman run. What are you expecting out of him this year?
    Big things. We are expecting him to carry this team. He is a proven leader and proven talent. We have some tough games, especially on the road and we expect him to lead the team and control the tempo of the game. Yes, it is alot to handle, but we know he can do it. Last season we depended on him heavily again and he did pull through.

Kirk Ferentz has . . . well. . . dominated Penn St. what will you do to avenge the heart breaking, season shattering loss from last year?
    Beat Iowa, in Iowa. Simple. Next question.

You play the defending National Champs at their place, any message for Nick and the boys in Tuscaloosa?
    Nope. None. It will definitely be a tough game, but we will doing our talking on the field in this one. We are the underdogs for sure, everyone is against the defending National Champs. It will be a great game for sure, but it isn't the only game for us. It does not affect our run for the Big10 Championship and it is early, so we can bounce back from any trouble. Remeber though, we play to win, and we do have that came circled!

Big 10 Champion-Penn State

Big 10 Offensive player of the year-Evan Royster

Big 10 Defensive Player of the year-Jack Crawford

Big 10 Freshman of the year-Kahiri Fortt

Big 10 Coach of the year-Me

Honest opinion....

Big 10 Champion-Ohio State

Big 10 Offensive player of the year-Evan Royster

Big 10 Defensive Player of the year-Adrian Clayborn

Big 10 Freshman of the year-Kahiri Fortt

Big 10 Coach of the year-Ryty

8. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

Thanks for having me...

9. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

lmfao at that video!

10. jca312

jca312 Walk On

[​IMG]
    No sugar coating. Things have not gone as expected since you took over. You are not only on the hot seat, I'd say your ass is on fire. What will you do to fix the Wolverines and return them to relevance in 2010?

It’s always hard when you are coming in and making the kind of overhaul we made. I’m not saying that we shouldn’t have done better, but I think we’ve learned a lot in our two years here. I think this is by far the best the roster has been for the system we are trying to run and I expect us to be a successful football team this year. As soon as the kids came back from Christmas break, they immediately got to work. On their own, of course;). We know who we are and how good we can be, now we just have to go out on the field and prove ourselves.

Simple, Tate or Shoelace or both?

I don’t see why we wouldn’t play both of them. They are both exceptional quarterbacks that bring different things to the field. Devin Gardner has also been impressive, so we will have to see where he factors in in all of this once we are ready to kickoff Week 1. I think everyone knows that if they are both healthy, you will definitely see both Tate and Denard, Devin is the Wild Card.

The defense gave up 42 to Ohio State, 48 to Purdue, 45 to Illinois, 42 to Penn State, and 35 to Notre Dame and Michigan State, what will be changed and who are you depending on to get it done on the field?

Yeah, you’re not gonna win many games when you give up 5 and 6 touchdowns, but I don’t expect to see that this year. We lost Brandon (Graham) to the NFL, so that will obviously hurt, but I’m really happy with what I’ve seen from the Defensive Unit as a whole. When you look around the field, there are solid guys at every level, I don’t know if you look and say, wow, he really stands out. Some people will look at that as a bad thing and think we don’t have any studs, but I think we have a really good cohesive unit and I think we are very talented on defense. We have some depth this year that we haven’t had since I’ve been here, so we are excited about that. Bottom line is, it’s gonna take all 11 guys to shut down all of these teams in the Big 10; it only takes one guy blowing an assignment to give up a big play. That is what we have to get rid of.

3 big road trips that you have to find a way to get at least one win from Notre Dame, Penn State, and THE Ohio St., what team do you match up against the best?

As the Head Coach, I have to believe that we match up best with all of them. Bottom line is, if we want to get where we want to be, we need to win all of those games. All of those teams are very talented with rosters full of NFL players. We have to work hard to prepare ourselves for those teams and go out on the field and execute. Assignments are assignments no matter where you are. Our young guys have a little more experience this year, so I expect us to be less wide-eyed going out on the road in the Big 10 this year.

You lost your last 5 games, when you needed 1 maybe 2 wins to be bowl eligible. Has that left a sour taste in the players mouth or is it business as usual?

I love that everyone thinks there has been this seismic shift in the culture of Michigan football and we don’t care about winning anymore. This is the winningest program in college football history and losing 5 games in a season, let alone in a row is unacceptable here, so no, it’s not business as usual. This is a proud program, with a rich tradition, and a huge fan and alumni base. Everyone associated with the program expects to win and the kids that came here didn’t to be mediocre. “Those who stay will be Champions.â€[/FONT]

What is a realistic goal for this team?

Going into the season, we want and expect to win all of our games. We expect to be playing in January. If those weren’t our expectations, we wouldn’t and shouldn’t be here. There is no reason for a program like ours’ not to strive to be the best in the country. We think we are more talented than other people think we are and we think we can compete with anyone in the country on any given Saturday. Now, we have to go out on the field and quiet all of the naysayers.

If Bo Schembechler were alive what would you say to him?

If Bo were around, I wouldn’t say much. I would do a lot of listening and ask him about instilling a winning spirit in young men. Bo was one of the best coaches in the history of football and there was so much to learn from him. This is Bo’s Program and we are all just caretakers. It is our job to come in here everyday and work as hard as we can to be Champions. That is what he did and that is what he expected. It is a privilege and honor to be a part of this program and we owe it to the people who put in the work to make Michigan Football what it is to leave the program in better shape than it was in when we got here.

Big 10 Champions- Ohio State

Big 10 Offensive Player of Year- Terrell Pryor

Big 10 Defensive Player of Year- Cameron Heyward

Big 10 Freshman of Year- William Gholston

Big 10 Coach of year- ryty

I think Ohio State makes a run at the National Title this year, so they will dominate the conference awards. William Gholston looks very impressive coming in and should make a big impact right away. I expect Terrell Pryor to be in New York for the Heisman Trophy Award ceremony, so he was a clear pick for me. Should be a fun year in the Big 10.

11. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

great stuff guys

12. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

Coach 11-2 season and a huge Rose Bowl win. This season, you could win an unprecedented 6th straight Big 10 title. How has your team prepared?

We realize that all of the preseason hype is nice but it means nothing. We have to go out and execute. Fortunately, we have great leaders on this team that won't allow us to lose focus. Ross Homan, Terrelle Pryor, Cameron Heyward, and Brian Rolle just to name a few. We will be ready.

Pretty tough schedule with trips to Madison and Iowa City. You also host the Hurricanes and rival Wolverines. Do you have the fire power to run the table and get back to the BCS Championship game?

Absolutely. The talent is there. This is probably the most talented team that we have had here since 2002's National Championship team. The schedule is very tough this year. Miami will be a good early season test, we always struggle with Wisconsin, and we have to travel to Iowa which is never easy. Oh...and don't forget Penn State.

Terrelle Pryor is heading into his third season as quarterback. He is a Heisman front runner. What has he improved to make this team better?

Two things - Decision making and accuracy. Earlier in the season and especially against Purdue, turnovers were a problem (he had 11 of interceptions). Towards the end of the year, Terrelle started to clearly get it. The Rose Bowl Game is the best example of the potential that Pryor has. In that game, Pryor had his best performance in college, throwing 266 yards through the air and 76 yards on the ground. He had two passing touchdowns and a 62.2 completion percentage.

The skill guys are plentiful and it compliments a very good offensive line. Will the playbook be wide open this season?

Maybe a little more this season. Of course, we will never deviate too far from our overall philosophy of running the ball, tough defense and minimizing turnovers! (Tressel ball!)

Very solid defensive unit to go with the powerhouse offense. Who are you looking to for leadership for that unit?

The defensive leaders are linebackers Brian Rolle and Ross Homan. Rolle is extremely vocal and the team responds to him. If you haven't heard of him, you definitely will this year. Homan is on the 2010 Nagurski watch list and looks to improve on his team leading 108 tackles and five interceptions.

If you could have a beer with anyone dead or alive who would it be and why?

Jesus - to see if he would drink it. Lincoln, Einstein, Newton, and Ghandi also up there. Oh...and Mr. Honda. :)

Big 10 Champion - Ohio State (Homer pick. But with the talent level, anything less would be a failure.)

Big 10 offensive player of the year - Evan Royster (Easy pick - Royster is the best back in the conference and Coach Cimmy likes to run....a lot.)

Big 10 defensive Player of the year - Cameron Heyward

Big 10 freshman of the year - Khairi Fortt

Big 10 Coach of the year - JCA - With Michigan, he has nowhere to go but up!

13. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

I like this guys picks ^

14. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

All but 1 that is...

15. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

nice work big 10 media days are over good luck

16. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

Soichiro was the man.

17. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

updated on the first page

18. Emmdotfrisk

[​IMG]

Coach a lot of leaders and big plays lost on the defensive side of the ball, how have you addressed that?

I would like to say yes, but absolutely not. Our secondary looks to be solid with some core returners at CB and Tyler Sash at SS. The LB core is hurting. Tyler Neilsen is the only starter returning and we find ourselves with little or no depth at all three positions. Bruce Davis, Tyler Nielsen and Cameron Olsen will be gameday starters but we have RSFR backing up all three positions. The defensive line took a big hit as well. DE Broderick Binns is our only returner and is a great pass rusher, but with inexperience in the middle of the line at DT, it will be very difficult for us to play like the Iowa defense of old.

You fell behind Michigan and Ohio St. last year when many thought you could win the conference, coming out of spring ball is Iowa capable of doing it this year?

This is a pure rebuilding year. I don't see us coming out of the Big 10 with less than 4 losses. The defense isn't good enough. We will lose a lot of games due to our inability to stop the run. In the Big 10, if you can't stop the run......your toast.

Who will take over for Ricky Stanzi?

Right now that is our biggest question mark. James Vandenberg had a solid spring camp but I am still not convinced he has the knowledge and abilities to be a starting QB. RS Freshmen AJ Derby will have the chance to get some snaps and I am most excited about True Freshmen Warren Mills who came into camp virtually stealing the 2nd slot on the depth chart. We are conducting our spring game later tonight and we will know for sure who our guy is after that.

Will there be any true freshman that will crack the two deep for Iowa?

Warren Mills a true freshmen at QB is slotted at #2 QB as of right now but could find himself dropping or raising after the spring game. Other than that, most of our true freshmen have some work to do before they become starter quality.

Big 10 Champion- Penn State Nittany Lions

Big 10 offensive player of the year- Boom Herron, Ohio State

Big 10 defensive player of the year- Andrew Sweat, Ohio State

Big 10 freshman of the year- Warren Mills, Iowa

Big 10 Coach of the year- Ryty, Ohio State

19. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Coach, How did your squad look in Spring practice?
    ~Still have some sessions to go, but we're looking pretty good. Kevin Newsome has grown from last year and now has experience, which he lacked at the beginning of last season, but then turned it on in the end.

Who will get the nod at QB, what does he bring to the table?
    ~Newsome, no question. He has the experience and skills. Bolden is going to see the vest this season and Jones will be our back up. Last year it was the opposite. I want to keep these two guys around campus as long as I can, but for now, Kevin is the man in charge without a doubt.

Strengths/Weaknesses?
    ~Our strengths really stand out in our secondary. We have some great play makers returning. Morris and Lynn will be our top two CBs, with Evan Lewis and Derrick Thomas seeing plenty of time. We have 4 great CBs that I believe are all destined for the NFL. We also have Sukay and Astorino returning in our two safety positions. We are extremely deep in the secondary, probably the deepest in the country. If I had to find a spot that could use a little more attention it would be the right side of the offensive line. We kinda had to cut and paste guys into position, but Shrive and Pannell should do just fine. We had question marks at the end of last season on what kind of linebacking corps we would be returning, but I think we will be able to continue our legacy. Stupar is coming back which is huge for us. Fortt has some experience on the field and will see some playing time this year. Hodges is also back on the outside, and Yancich has shown promise in practice.

Who will take over for Evan Royster or will it be Rb by commitee?
    ~Stephfon Green will see a majority of the snaps, but don't be surprised to see Curtis Dukes get plenty of the ball as well. He was a member of the All-Freshman team last year and only saw significant time in the second half of the season, that is saying something. Dukes is a great back and will definitely be a threat in our backfield this year and in the future.

Not a great confernce record last year, is PennSt. ready to battle for a conference title?
    ~We did struggle last year against the tougher Big10 opponents, but we are pretty confident this year. We have Ohio State and Iowa coming to Happy Valley and we won't see Michigan this year. We definitely have a good shot to make noise this season and we are looking forward to it.

Big 10 Champion-Ohio State

Big 10 Offensive player of the year-QB, Terrelle Pryor

Big 10 Defensive Player of the year-LB, Nathan Stupar

Big 10 Freshman of the year-QB, Warren Mills

Big 10 Coach of the year-Frisk

20. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

Coach you took it to the nest level and won it all, what was the key?

We got the breaks when we needed them and played solid defense for the entire season. It was an amazing year!

Pryor returned for his senior year if I'm not mistaken (too many OD's) what lured him back to campus?

Honestly, two things. 1. He really wanted to come back and further develop at the QB position. Many of the NFL scouts seemed to doubt if his skills would translate at the next level. Coming back will allow him to hone those skills and improve his draft position. 2. REPEAT!

Do you have the fire power to run the table and get back to the BCS Championship game?

No question. We have a three-headed monster on offense in Pryor, Herron and Posey. Our defense will be a little younger, but the talent is definitely there.

What will be the toughest parts to replace to the National Title squad?

It is very difficult to repeat in any sport. We will have to avoid any serious injuries and get a few lucky bounces.

You pulled in a top 5 recruiting class according to all the internet sites and publications, will any of those players be counted on this season?

Kevin Crowell will get plenty of playing time at outside linebacker. He has tremendous size and speed for the position. He was a clear standout in the spring. (plus...promises were made!)

Big 10 Champion- THE Ohio State Buckeyes

Big 10 offensive player of the year - Brandon Wegher

Big 10 defensive Player of the year - Craig Roh

Big 10 freshman of the year - Mills

Big 10 Coach of the year- Cimmy

21. jca312

jca312 Walk On

Wether you admit it or not, you were on the hot seat last season and boy did you turn the temperature down, what enabled this turn around?

Time, last year was the first time these kids were able to show what they’ve learned and how hard we’ve been working. Any time there is a transition, there are going to be some rough patches. Everybody always wants to win all the time, myself included, but when you step back and look at it, Michigan Football underwent a huge overhaul.

Is there a QB competition in Ann Arbor this spring?

Absolutely. If you don’t have competition in your program, you won’t be very successful. I think there are three very qualified quarterbacks, it’s an open competition and we’ve seen qualities in each of them that we want in a starting quarterback.

You came up short in the game vs tOSU, could the players taste how close they were to a BCS title game bid and if so how have they responded in the offseason?

They’ve really come together as a team, they believe in themselves, and they’ve worked really hard in the offseason. I think we will again be part of the National Championship conversation and all that matters is that we believe in ourselves here inside the program, we’re thankful for all of those who support us and we thrive on those who doubt us.

You host the big one's this year, how much of an advantage is it for you to play the big games in the Big House?

Anytime you have a big game, you’d like to play it at home. I think what happened last year at the Horseshoe was an invaluable experience for our team. We went in there with a lot of young guys who were trying to learn how to win, almost all of our big wins last season came at home and we were staring a Big Ten Championship and possible National Championship square in the eye in one of the toughest stadiums in the country. The game proved to be a little bit too big for us, but I don’t think we will be as wide-eyed in those types of games this year. Now, I think we can go out there and just play football. We did it for a half, then some adversity struck and it seemed like some of our guys had the pressure of the situation come down on top of them like a ton of bricks. The biggest lesson we learned was that no matter where we are or who is watching, it’s still just football, it’s our 11 guys against their 11 guys, nobody else gets to play.

What is a realistic goal for this team?

Big Ten Championship and BCS Title Game Berth. We were one game away from it last year, I don’t see why we would shoot for anything less. We always want to improve and the only way we can improve is finish the regular season undefeated and take our shot at a National Championship.

Big Ten Champion-Michigan

Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year-Terrell Pryor

Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year-Craig Roh

Big Ten Freshman of the Year-Devin Gardner

Big Ten Coach of the Year-Frisk

22. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Big 10 media days concluded

Great insight from all of you!

23. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

new year new questions

24. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Coach, How does it feel to be a part of the premier conference in college football?
    ~Well, it feels just about the same as it did last year and the year before. Tough teams, tough coaches, tough games every week. It doesn't matter what conference you are in, once you get within conference play, all teams are level and every game needs attention. We just so happen to have 3 of the last 4 teams to compete in the National Championship game, and the team to win it the last 2 years....

Curtis Dukes has been faithful and waited his turn, what kind of impact will he have on the offense?
    ~Dukes is a back that will light up the crowd. We haven't exactly been real impact in the running game the past two years, but this year will be different. Curtis has skill in just about every aspect of the game.

How did the National title loss motivate the remaining players and coaches?
    ~Motivated us to take that last step this year. We definitely had opportunities to win that ball game, but couldn't finish. We're focusing on finishing drives and continuing to shut down offenses.

WHo is going to step up at Linebacker U this season?
    ~Well we already touched on Curtis Dukes offensively, but Linebacker U wouldn't be the same without a hard hitting linebacker, and I think Khairi Fortt is that guy. Fortt will be one of the Big10 and country's best, book it.

Big 10 Champion-Penn State

Big 10 Offensive player of the year-HB Brandon Wegher, Iowa

Big 10 Defensive Player of the year-LB Khairi Fortt, Penn State

Big 10 Freshman of the year-QB Chuck Stephens, Iowa

Big 10 Coach of the year-Frisk, Iowa

25. Emmdotfrisk

I O W A

[​IMG]

Coach what is the solution at QB this season?

There is never a real solution for Iowa QB's. We always bring in the underachiever who either produces or doesn't. I am unsure what will happen this year but Freshmen Chuck Stephens has the tools to change the face of our program down the road. He will be getting the start over Senior James Vandenberg but will have a very short leash. Our team is at it's strongest point on the offensive line and in the backfield, if we can't win games with our run game it will be a long year.

What willit take to put Iowa back in the Big 10 title conversation?

It will take awhile before we are truly in contention for the title. We have a lot of building to do defensively. Our offense is top notch but as evidenced by last year, teams can put 9 in the box and defeat us. With a soft defense I don't see us winning a user game this year.

What does your defensive unit look like for this season?

Our defense will be compromised of 5 true freshmen starters and a very young LB core. Linebackers and the defensive line are the backbone of the hawkeye defense but with 4 starting true freshmen I don't see us competing. Let's hope ball control and offense wins us games.

How tough is the schedule this season?

As usual the Big 10 scehedule is always tough, especially with the addition of Nebraska. I am hoping for a 7-5 season.

Big 10 Champion- Ohio State

Big 10 offensive player of the year- RB Brandon Wegher (IOWA)

Big 10 defensive player of the year- DT John Simon (tOSU)

Big 10 freshman of the year- QB Chuck Stephens (IOWA)

Big 10 Coach of the year- Ryty