Big 10 to Expand

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by HackGolfer, Dec 18, 2009.

1. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

Big 10 to Expand

Which potential teams do you think could make a great fit into the Big 10. I think Missouri would make some interesting matchups, but that leaves a big void in the Big XII North who really needs some contenders again..

Does this open a door of opportunity for the TCU's & Boise State's out there.. If Mizzou were to jump over to the Big 10 (very doubtful) , should the Big XII fill their spot with TCU?? Or try and steal a lower tier team away from the SEC?

2. T2

T2 Smarter than your average bear!

i just dont see mizzou leaving the big 12... they have long rivals in Neb and KU. plus academicaly they are a lot closer to the schools in the big 12..

3. astealthyhippo

astealthyhippo happy painting and god bless

Hopefully this doesn't end up being Big East raid v2.0

I can see the Big 10 wanting to take Pitt (would be good rivalry vs Penn state) or Rutgers (NY market). I have also heard Syracuse thrown in there, but there football program has been down as of late. It would definately be interesting to see who would replace Mizzou if they jump ship.

4. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

Pittsburgh or Cincinnati would be the logical choices in my mind.

5. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

First, if Notre Dame continues to reject the Big 10, I think the Big 10 should counter by now allowing it's members to schedule them any more. ND already plays U of M, MSU, and Purdue every year. Take those three games away from ND. I'm tired of those stuck up Muppets thinking their so cool because they're independents! (I grew up a ND fan and am Irish so I have a small piece of me that roots for them and is a Muppet too)

I think if the Big 10 stole Missouri that would be AWESOME! They could steal the conference name too, the Big 10 could become the Big 12 and the Big 12 would become the Big 11 haha.

The best part of taking a Big 12 team would create an opportunity for the Big 12 to restructure moving Oklahoma to the North where it should be and creating the potential for the Texas - OU Big 12 Championship game every year. They could still maintain the red river shootout just like UF/LSU and FSU/Miami do every year, then they'd possibly have the championship game. That would be sweet. Then as someone else mentioned, they could go out and get TCU possibly which would be another great thing.

If the Big 10 adds Cincy, Pitt, or Rutgers from the Big East, I don't think it helps college football much. It would help the Big 10 but it would really hurt the Big East because there's not a lot of other schools on the East Coast they could pick up to replace on of the aforementioned 3.

6. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    the problem is you really can't just move one team in the Big 12. The best scenario for the Big XII is for the Big Ten to take Iowa State and then move Arkansas in.

But that will never happen. Who needs two schools from Iowa?

7. GoGators

There's no way any SEC team leaves the SEC with the new TV deal they just signed. They would take a huge hit revenue wise.

8. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

I don't see Arkansas leaving. Even though they have rivals in the Big 12 (Texas and Texas A&M), they still have very intense ones with Ole Miss and LSU. If they did leave though I could see the SEC going after Southern Miss or maybe a team out of the ACC. If the Big East gets hit again I honestly see that conference folding altogether. If the rumors on bleacher report are true the MWC is going to be adding 3 more teams (Boise State, possibly Fresno State, and the 3rd school really hasn't been talked about much but I could see them reaching out to Houston to give TCU a nice in-state rivalry within the conference). It was also stated that if that happened they would snatch up a BCS bid and have already met with the NCAA about it.

Could you see this as a BCS Conference

West

San Diego State
    Fresno State
    Boise State
    Utah
    UNLV
    BYU

East

New Mexico
    Wyoming
    Colorado State
    TCU
    Houston
    Air Force

9. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

It's a better conference than the Big East by far.

10. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

The Big East is dead they'll be down to robbing Sun Belt and CUSA teams. FIU and ECU would be nice additions it's really too late for them

11. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Althou it won't be for I say another 2 years...I believe Pitt, Cinncy, or Rutgers are going to be the bets options. They all have the academic integrity and bring something to the table. In-state rivals with PSU and OSU with Pitt and Cinncy, and the NY/NJ Coverage with Rutgers. Personally, as a PSU fan/student...I hope it's Pitt. I believe if they do pull a team from the BigEast...Central Michigan could be a name to watch out for in the BigEast, if they continue to be strong. That is a big question though. Other teams to be considered into the BigEast...Memphis or ECU. Mizzou is possible, but not as likely, then I do believe yes, we could see TCU join the Big12. It's going to be a long developing story...hang on...us Big10 fans are excited for this!

12. astealthyhippo

astealthyhippo happy painting and god bless

Big East > MWC

Beyond TCU, BYU, and Utah the MWC drops off. The Big East has depth as 6 teams had a 7-5 or better record, despite being small in comparison to the other BCS Conferences. I would be willing to say match up the above 3 teams vs Cincy, WVU, and Pitt and I like the Big East's chances, regardless of how you match them up.

But on topic, I think the only conclusion the Big 10 will come to is yes, they want to expand. Where they try to go from there will be interesting. It will shake up whatever conference they raid.

13. GoGators

It's a good conference based on this past season. Will it be able to sustain itself is the question? If they get an automatic BCS bid, they'll definitely have a better recruiting pitch so that should help.

The real problem is the coaching turnover that these schools will face. Any coach at any of these schools will jump ship at the first chance with a bigger program. So can these schools continue to have the coaches that make these programs competitive?

14. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

The Big 10

The Big 10 could go big east and take cincy, rutgers, pitt. If they take a big east team the big east should pick up ECU. That leaves CUSA to pick up Troy or FAU. Sun Belt can pick up South Alabama when hey go IA in a year or two.

The Big 10 could go Big 12 and take Missouri or Iowa st.

If they take a big 12 team the big 12 should pick up Houston or TCU and move Oklahoma to the North like GoGators said to maximize revenue with the potential of UT vs OU twice a year.

If TCU bumped to the Big 12 the mountain west could pick up Unversity of San Antonio or whatever school that is that Larry Coker is the coach of in San Antonio. When they are ready to be IA.

15. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    The problem that most people don't realize is that you can't just move Oklahoma to the north. Oklahoma state would have to go with them.

16. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

lol, the Big East is far from dead.... its a basketball conference.... football is average to below average, but the basketball is outstanding.... highly unlikely Pitt moves to the Big East... they dont want to lose their rivalry with West Virginia in football, and in basketball is always near the top of the conference and the Big East basketball tourney in Madison Square Garden is a recruiting tooland serious cash generator all by itself...

its almost a lock Cincinnati is one of the teams they go after..... not sure who the other team would be though....

17. JrRawlins

(n)

worse BCS Conference ever.... what formidable team is there here? TCU for one year? Utah? i guess Boise State is somewhat formidable now.... this conference would blow.... downright terrible..... you wanna talk about East Coast bias.... pfft... this conference wouldnt even get mentioned...

18. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

Notre Dame will not go. They are to greedy of a school and make to much money being independent. I'd love to see Mizzu as an illini fan in the Big 10. But reality is Mizzu wont be. I think they will more likely take from a smaller conference and have them move up.

19. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Why does Oklahoma St. have to go to the Big 12 North if Oklahoma does?

They can play every year regardless Okahoma would play there big 12 north schedule and play tex and oklahoma st every year and rotate the other game between tex tech, baylor, tcu, and tamu

also on the other hand, pitt can still play WVU every year with out losing the rivalry even though they are in different conferences like Florida/Florida St. N.D. and USC, Michigan, Michigan St. etc. Ilinois and Missouri are rivals and that would add more fuel to that fire if they were to go Big 10.

This makes my head hurt just thinking about the possibilities.

20. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Because then it becomes a scheduling nightmare as opposed the rotation the Big XII works off of right now (three teams from the other division that swaps every two years).

And how would oklahoma in the north create more revenue? Because of the championship game? Why does that game have any luster if they play Texas earlier in the year, every year?

The format the Big XII has works very well. If you want to move teams around, that's fine, but you can't start making up exceptions because it throws everything off. Then the benefit of realignment becomes a burden and breaks the system.

21. JrRawlins

PITTSBURGH -- Leaving the Big East for the Big Ten would be a big mistake for Pittsburgh, according to men's basketball coach Jamie Dixon.

Dixon calls the Big East "the best conference in college basketball history" and said it wouldn't benefit Pitt or any other conference member to switch leagues.

Big Ten officials plan to spend the next year to 18 months exploring whether to add a 12th member. Pitt has been mentioned as a likely candidate because it offers a large TV market, excellent academics and a prime location. The Panthers could renew their lapsed rivalry with Penn State and form a new one with nearby Ohio State.

Dixon needs to hear a lot more reasons than those.

"I can't see how any team would improve where they're at by movement," Dixon said Thursday. "Every situation, you have to look at why you're doing it to improve yourselves. And I can't see how moving from the best conference in college basketball history would be a good thing for anybody."

While Pitt football might have more to gain than the basketball team by joining the Big Ten, Dixon doesn't believe the move would significantly benefit coach Dave Wannstedt's program, either.

"We've got [football] bowl tie-ins greater than any other conference, as far as percentages, so what would we have to change for?" Dixon said. "This thing just keeps getting better."

Dixon mentioned no schools by name. However, abandoning longtime Big East rivalries with Syracuse, Georgetown and Connecticut and replacing them with Iowa, Northwestern, Minnesota and Wisconsin -- distant schools with no ties or significant attraction to Pitt -- could erode interest in Panthers basketball.

Pitt built a new, on-campus basketball arena seven years ago largely because of the demand for Big East tickets. About 3,000 are on a waiting list for season tickets at the 12,508-seat Petersen Events Center.

To Dixon, the Big East became the envy of other basketball conferences when Louisville, Cincinnati, Marquette, DePaul and South Florida joined in 2005. Fifteen of the Big East's 16 basketball-playing schools have made at least one Final Four appearance.

"We don't have to change, because things are heading in the right direction," Dixon said. "Other conferences might have to change to gain momentum, but our momentum has been consistent since the expansion itself. So, it's exciting to hear about it and talk about it, but at the end of the day who's really going to improve their position from our conference? Nobody."

Dixon's comments Thursday were the first by any Pitt coach or administrator since the Big Ten signaled its plans on Tuesday. Pitt chancellor Mark A. Nordenberg has been a strong Big East proponent, leading the expansion drive that kept the conference together after Boston College and Miami left for the Atlantic Coast Conference in 2005.

Notre Dame, a Big East member in most sports except football, turned down the Big Ten in 1999.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4752834

like i said, Big East is a hoops league... not football..... it doesnt make much sense football wise for Pitt..... it doesnt make any sense basketball wise for Pitt..... the big Ten is terrible in hoops besides Michigan State.... everyone else is average at best...

22. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

I see I see. just wishful thinking but Texas Oklahoma would draw big two times a year trust me.

23. GoGators

The Big 12 definitely needs work. Ask Mack Brown and the Longhorns who got the shaft last season on the tie breaker rules they use.

The Big 12 could use some adjustments. IMO, which isn't worth much because I'm not a die hard Big 12 fan, it would be to their advantage to realign. That conference usually losses visibility after Texas and Oklahoma play. This whole decade the championship has been anything but exciting, excluding when K.State knocked off OU's undefeated season that one year but I think that was the 90s) for the Big 12. At least with OU and OK St in the North, it would be exciting to know that the championship game could be Texas vs OU.

The South is solid, lots of talent. The north is really struggling lately. If Missouri wasn't so good the past two years, the North would be very unimpressive. Then, look what happened to Mizzou in the Big12 Championship, they got whacked, not even competitive.

I understand it'd be tough to realign it and may be impossible, but you have to admit it would be sweet if they did.

24. HoosierHoo

HoosierHoo Walk On

I hate to break the news to you guys who think Cincy is in the running, but the Big Ten isn't interested in adding a glorified community college. Cincy doesn't come CLOSE to meeting the academic requirements the Big Ten presidents would insist on. I'm putting my money on Pitt, with Rutgers and Syracuse as the backup plans.
    Missouri is intriguing, but it is probably not quite up to snuff academically, and I think the conference wants to expand eastward, not to the west.

25. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

So does this mean the big ten will have a champ game? (I'm hoping.)