Big 12 Preview

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by Hellisan, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Big 12 Preview

OKLAHOMA SOONERS
    ---As of the date of this report, Oklahoma has not declared what playbook they are using. Let this journalist make a suggestion: Something with a lot of "base" sets in it. Halfback, Fullback, 2 WR, 1 TE. (Iowa, Tulane, NIU, Vatech if you need 'em) If you look at just that personnel, Oklahoma has to stack up with the best teams in the nation. The problems for the opposing defense this scenario are multi-faceted. If you concentrate on halfbacks Travis Green (96) and RSfr Thomas Robertson (90), a speedy WR like Mike Workman (90 OVR, 97 SPD, 1,208 Rec Yards, 17 TD a year ago) or a TE like Ken Davis (92) is going to eat you for lunch. And let us not forget to mention true freshman Charles Davis (88) a 6'5" converted athlete with some of the best hands you've ever seen. His only weakness is he doesn't like going over the middle too much. Quarterback Jarrod Barnes (2,941 pass yards, 30 TD, 17 INT) is a beast with good accuracy and great speed/footwork. He is very accurate and can buy time all day back there with his quickness. The real strength of the team is at halfback, where Oklahoma's third stringer Chris Harvey (92) would be the starter on the vast majority of teams in this league. Starter Travis Green (1,798 Yards, 23 TD) would be capable of eclipsing the 2,000 yard barrier, but the transcendent talent Robertson will likely see a lot of carries as his backup. Nevertheless, Green's combination of excellent speed and bullish strength will carry the Sooner offense. The offensive line is very solid.

Two players really stand out on Oklahoma's defensive unit. Up front, SR DT Sam Hurst (96 OVR, 97 STR) really anchors the middle, and we feel that CB Stephen Graves (91), just a sophomore, is among the very best defensive backs in the nation. Graves had 7 INT and 6 defensive TDs last year and will look to increase those totals. The Sooners return three very solid linebackers who all saw playing time last season. Sophomore RE Matt Poland (86 SPD) can really get to the quarterback, as evidenced by his 22 sacks last season. We'd like to see James Parker start alongside Hurst at DT as his speed complements the brute strength of Hurst quite nicely, and freshman Hancock might not play his best as a true frosh.

OK ENOUGH BOASTING....
    ---Jarrod Barnes has 92 speed but so far has not been used much in the running game, partially because he isn't the toughest runner out there. He will put the football on the ground quite often (20 fumbles in his career). A key for any defense facing them is to get a big hit on Barnes. When Oklahoma spreads the field they are not as scary due to a lack of speed at the 3rd and 4th WR positions. The same could be said for a few other positions as well. The O-line is pretty much one-deep. The linebackers are some of the slowest of all the user teams, and the safeties are straight-up subpar. We think there will be at least one game this season where the offensive line - which is solid, but definitely not sensational - will let this team down.

STRENGTHS- I-Form Personnel, HB, QB, Corner, Stars at most position
    WEAKNESSES- WR Depth, Safeties, Depth behind the Studs

TEXAS LONGHORNS
    ---The Longhorn offensive is very balanced, with both a 4,000 yard passer and a 1,900 yard rusher last season. They really spread it around, and do not look to rack up stats with any one player. QB Gary Warren (91) comes back for his third year as a starter. His strengths are his accuracy and moving around in the pocket. Both his touchdowns and INTs have been on the rise, so look for him to cut his INT total greatly if he wants to go out with a bang. HB John Davis (93) is fast and very quick off the line. He'll look to top his incredible season of a year ago with 2,000 yards looming. Texas likes to have speed at power positions. They start an 88 speed FB and basically two wideouts at TE, even though only one is an actual WR. The wide receivers, led by Geoff Kelly (90) are fast and explosive. We look for slot receiver Mike Adams (84) to have a breakout year this season. The line is laden with upper classmen and therefore should perform very well in all environs this season.

Texas starts a pair of freakishly talented senior defensive ends who strangely have a combined 9 sacks in their career. Tyler Anderson (93) is a third year starter while Trevor Stewart (92) will see starting action for the first time. If they play up to potential they will be hell on defenses. Texas is known for their ball-hawking secondaries, and this year will be no different as they have a group of very good corners. Joe Ingraham (87) and Mark Smith (90) will look to build on their solid performances of a year ago.

OK ENOUGH BOASTING....
    ---Texas has predicted that they will win the Big 12. While that very well may end up happening, I see some very defined areas of weakness. They have the slowest pair of safeties of the user teams, so are somewhat limited in terms of their defensive playcalling. Any Cover 2 zone played by this team is like begging the offense to score a touchdown. In fact, to be blunt, we think they spend too much time "star chasing" in recruiting and not enough time scouting. Recruiting in the belly of Texas talent, they should be unstoppable by now, with almost no discernable holes instead of an obvious gaping one. The defensive tackles are neither fast or all that strong, and coupled with a pair of pass-rushing defensive ends we think you can move the ball on the ground against this team. TE Brian Higgins couldn't block his own grandma, so when they really need a couple of yards against a stacked defense they'll have to run it elsewhere.

STRENGTHS- QB, HB, WR, O-LINE, CB
    WEAKNESSES- FS, SS, DT

TEXAS A&M
    ---The venerable Todd Butler (92) is back for his senior year. You'd think he's had at least 2 medical redhirt seasons with how long he has been around, but this is his last year in Aggieland. Butler has the speed/athleticism to run on any defense and the arm and accuracy to keep them honest. Butler has already thrown for over 13,000 yards in his career, tossed over 100 touchdowns, and run for another 55+ scores with a 1,000 yard rushing season under his belt. Don't look for Butler to rush for 1,000 yards again, because this team needs him healthy. David Nash (86) and Eugene Fields (75) form a speedy 1-2 punch at running back. They have a pretty speedy fullback but he rarely sees the field. The WR corps has devastating speed, led by Jonathan Tucker (85), Gary Black (85) and Dustin Nelson (82).

A&M has a bit of a youth movement going as they start four underclassmen on defense. They have a lot of first-time starters across this defense as they graduated a ton of guys. True freshman MLB Doug Polite (79) is very talented and is great at getting off blocks and pursuit. He is flanked by a pair of sturdy senior outside linebackers, although both are seeing full-time action for the first time. The starting DEs, DTs are also starting for the first time but have plenty of talent. The secondary is very fast and talented. CB Thomas Sapp (87) is a monster at 6'4, 220, but even he is going to be a first-year starter.

OK ENOUGH BOASTING....
    ---The problem for A&M this year is going to be stopping people. Their defense IS NOT bad, but has a lack of proven production. Anytime you start a freshman at MLB, you're going to see missed tackles unless the player is a true stud, and Polite is one very small step below that. The defensive backfield is marked by an overall lack of awareness and they will let guys get open at times as a result. Finally, although A&M has a very solid offensive line, they don't have a mauler that they can count on to get a push in short-yardage situations.

STRENGTHS- QB, HB, WR, DE
    WEAKNESSES- AWR in the D backfield, DT, no bread and butter O-lineman.

OKAHOMA STATE
    ---Coach VaSteelah is one of the better players in this league but really was dealt a bad hand when he decided to take over at Oklahoma State. He didn't want the stain of a disliked team (Texas Tech) and Oklahoma was about the best thing left. It has been a tough time going up against recruiting monsters like Oklahoma, Texas, and A&M every year, and it shows. They haven't gotten all that much better. Nevertheless, Steelah will again squeeze the maximum production possible out of this surprisingly squalid cast of characters. The young WRs, Nick Parsons (74) and George Hughes (74) might out-produce their slower, older counterparts, who are technically the starters. We like the line quite a bit. They have a solid senior protecting the blind side in Johnny Medley (88) who is absolutely massive and very strong, and on the right side of the line they have a pair of promising sophomores.

Look for DE Tyler Cowan (88) to step up his game in his final season and get 10+ sacks. He has been a consistent producer the past two seasons. Jr DT Kerry James (86) had a sensational freshman season two years ago, but took a step back last season. He looks to rebound and could have a huge impact. OK St. plays a multiple defense so look for impressive Brandon Smith (82) to put his very good speed to use at MLB. FS Carlos Lewis (72) will be busy this season and will likely put his speed to good use.

OK ENOUGH BOASTING....
    ---If the aforementioned was somewhat faint praise, it wasn't on accident. This team is going to give user teams problems at times but not because of their personnel. There are no standout positions on this team and QB is an absolute mess. Senior Michael Johnson (84) may not have a nickname, but we would suggest "The Scud" - for good reason as he has more INT than TD in his career. On defense, this team is very limited in what they can do as they have a slow-as-molasses group of corners. All we can say is: Hang in there Dawson.

STRENGTHS- O LINE
    WEAKNESSES- QB, QB, QB.... Overall lack of speed across the board

2. DJ Rhude

DJ Rhude CAMAR'E

Great writeup and I agree with 99% of it

The 1% I didn't agree with, my FS Logan Capps had 7 INTs and I think he led my team in tackles last year....all this as a freshman.....that's not subpar play by a freshman......nonetheless, I have tacked that comment into the locker room for the safeties to see :D

Nice job Helli

edit: I know that Barnes fumbles a lot but gotdamn 20???? I didn't realize he had that many

3. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Ha that's why barnes doesn't run as much ;)...

I'll have a tough road with the two big 12 teams I'm facing.

4. DJ Rhude

DJ Rhude CAMAR'E

Yeah, I knew there was a reason Mo....lol

I been in practice mode with a few playbooks

MY halfbacks, GOOD LORD

5. Kingerock

Kingerock I'm kinda a big deal...

great write up. i could defend my safties, TEs and DTs but I don't want to sully a really amazing write up with my '2 cents'

really good stuff bro

6. DJ Rhude

DJ Rhude CAMAR'E

lmao...uh yeah, these writeups are not to be discussed lol

Somebody's still salty

7. Kingerock

no, any 'saltiness' is aimed towards Oklahoma Sooners first, then Texas A&M next.

Sooners suck!!!

8. DJ Rhude

DJ Rhude CAMAR'E

I wish you the best this year on making that bold prediction come true

9. Kingerock

don't need no stinkin sooner sportsmanship. Just bring your A game to the Red River rivalry!!!

[​IMG]

10. DJ Rhude

DJ Rhude CAMAR'E

Don't worry about my game, you just worry about not folding like a house of cards like you always do

I wish you the best on making that bold prediction come true

11. Kingerock

And I don't want to hear any lip when the Sooners don't trip and slip into a Big 12 Championship and the Longhorns actually earn it!

If I were you I'd google engravers so you can put some asterisks on your Big 12 trophies.

I'm going to start calling you Barry instead of Rhude... DJ Barry... i like that!!! lol!

12. DJ Rhude

DJ Rhude CAMAR'E

Have you beaten me H2H yet?

Okay then

Anyway lunch time is over for me.....see you week 6 and don't get mad when I run it up

13. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Looking forward to this one!

14. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    yeah this is where it's at...

15. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Perfect...........We will showcase this one.

Rhude have that Hauppauge up and running so we can watch this!!

16. DJ Rhude

DJ Rhude CAMAR'E

Yes, Texas' embarrass, err the full game will be up in all it's HD glory

17. jfosh

jfosh Super

Watch out for the "SCUD"!!!!

18. Kingerock

Keep yappin... Week 6 is going to taste mighty salty...

Make sure you send out the word early so the inbread sooner fans can stop screwing their cousins long enough to watch your hillbilly squad go down in flames!

19. DJ Rhude

DJ Rhude CAMAR'E

You know, if I really was a Sooner fan, I might take offense to the shots lol....

I'm just passing through and stomping on Texas while I'm here

20. Kingerock

all in good fun brother, lol.

but yeah... OU Sucks!!!