Big Game tonight, Ohio State vs. Purdue

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Hellisan, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Big Game tonight, Ohio State vs. Purdue

I don't have the game on/in front of me but I'm pretty sure it's #2 or #3, unbeaten Ohio State against #6, 1-loss Purdue.

We have one loss on the season, to Michigan. We're looking to repay the favor from last year, when Juggs knocked us out of contention by handing us our first loss of the season in our last user game.

Ohio State is using their third string running back, and Juggs is not particularly enamored with this player. Still, this will be a very difficult game on defense because we don't have anybody that can keep up with Nate whatever his name is (96 speed) at wide receiver. We will look to minimize his big plays, and hopefully create some confusion for Juggs with our 3-4 defense. Ben Smith has a huge arm but is not very mobile. It is imperative that we put pressure on him early and often.

On offense, I don't think I'll know exactly what we're going to do even at 10:00 EST when this game is scheduled to start. We're going to try to stick with the run like we've been doing, which will give Anthony Robinson the oppportunity to limit his throws. On the road, Robinson still experiences plenty of confusion which will really hurt us if we think we're gonna come out in 5-WR sets all game.

On paper this looks like a mismatch due to the dominance of Ohio State's defense, but as they say, that's why you play the game.

2. DJ Rhude

DJ Rhude CAMAR'E

Purdue wins ending OSU's dreams of playing in the national championship

3. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Good luck Helli.......I was impressed with OSU defense........they are fast and the LBs are all over the place. It is hard to get a big play on offense b/c he has that crazy dude Cohen at SS with 97 speed if you break through the line he is in your face. If you are are going to win you are going to have to force some turnovers......that always take Juggs out of the game!

I expect a low scoring game b/c both of you are dink and dunk players....I expect the scoring will increase as the game moves forward......when some realizes they might lose!

4. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

get me a pic for this game and ill post the preview on the front page

5. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

LOL, I'm only a dink and dunk guy in this league because I have no speed. Juggs isn't a dink and dunk player at all, do you do your scouting? He reads long to short. lol

6. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Juggs is dink and dunk when he plays me....expect he is usually throwing the ball to my defenders.

IF speed was so important then you should be losing more........your team is as good as anyone's team..........at this point in the dynasty the games are coming down to coaching, play making and minimizing mistakes.

Last time I checked
    Brian Williams.....99 speed
    Your TE.......85+ speed

Ohio State is 6.5 point favorites.......home field advantage.

My prediction...If Purdue throws 0 ints they will win. 1 int at the wrong time could make or break this game.

I am very curious to see the outcome. I want highlights fuckers!

7. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Big game to see who comes in second to Michigan.....

It felt good to say that.

8. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Yeah, everybody focuses on Williams but he still makes several "dink/dunk" big plays a game, lol... Usually on long bombs.

The TE is my backup, and I don't use him that much. 2 TE sets are becoming more the norm with us though...

9. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Wait... i just re-read this post again. Are you saying that speed is unimportant?

*turns the mic to JMS

10. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    big game for you guys...this for the big 10 crown or michigan still has a say here with a final game with juggs?

11. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Michigan and Ohio State are unbeaten.

I have one loss, and it was in conference (Michigan)

If I beat Ohio State today and he takes out Michigan later, I'm honestly not sure who would win the conf. title because both Michigan and I beat Penn State.

If I lose today, they will obviously play for the conference.

12. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

speed is important but you say you don't have any speed and yet you have only lost 2 games out of like 25....

Cmon Keanu! Anyway...I need to talk to you tonite........I will hit you up on a chat!

13. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I'm winning despite my lack of speed, not because of it. Thank you.

Sure hit me up.

14. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

In a game that featured a recovered onside kick by Ohio State, Purdue (9-1) survived and handed the Buckeyes (10-1) their first loss of the season.

Cornerback Joe Hall got the Boilers on the board in the early going, leaping for an interception on the fourth play from scrimmage and taking it back 58 yards for the score.

[​IMG]
    Joe Hall stepped in front of this pass and returned it for a touchdown and a 7-0 lead.

Ohio State recovered and tied the game on their next possession, scoring on a 4-yard touchdown pass.

Anthony Robinson wasn't asked to do too much today on the road in a hostile environment, but he threw a 16-yard touchdown pass to Darren Swanson at the end of the first quarter to give Purdue the lead.

Thanks to a defense that really came to play, Purdue would not give up the lead.

They sacked quarterback Ben Smith 6 times and forced three turnovers on the day, all on interceptions. The last one turned out to be the most important.

Following two William Sanders field goals (third quarter) and two Bobby Matthews touchdown runs (third and fourth quarter), Purdue had a 20-10 lead at halftime and a 34-10 lead in the fourth quarter.

The Bucks came charging back, going no huddle and really exposing the Purdue defense. They scored on a short run and converted the two-point conversion to get within 16 points with four minutes remaining.

After Purdue was forced to punt (albeit using a costly Ohio State timeout) the Buckeyes once again torched the Purdue defense, this time for a 10-yard touchdown pass. Once again, they converted for two points and were suddenly within 8 points at 34-26.

At this point things began to get scary for Purdue. the onside kick was recovered by sophomore cornerback Ray Copeland, and once again the ball was in the hands of Ben Smith, who was now red hot.

Smith completed passes of three yards and 17 yards to get a first down, then spiked the ball to stop the clock with 17 seconds remaining.

On the next play, Nick Green (6 Rec, 64 yards, 2 TD) raised his hand over the middle but wasn't open. Smith threw the pass and freshman cornerback Michael Adams stepped in front and picked it off to end the game.

The game went to plan for Purdue, which only threw the ball 12 times on the day. Brian Williams was used as a decoy, and had no receptions. Meanwhile the running game plugged away for 147 yards on 30 carries. Bobby Matthews had 17 of those carries for 104 yards and two touchdowns.

"Today was a case of one team coming out and playing their very best game and the other team not so much," said Coach Hellisan. "Our guys looked like they were on steroids or something, especially along the lines. Juggs' guys looked a little off."

[​IMG]
    Michael Adams intercepts this one to end Ohio State's chances

15. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Nice win Helli. If only my Michigan players could have caught the balls Juggs tossed us on the last drive of our game last season...

Brings back sour memories.

16. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

posted..

17. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Sounds like it was a great game guys! Nice job and congrats!

18. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Thanks man.... Juggy is my best bud in the league (or one of them at least) and this is my first win against Ohio State. I didn't feel good about taking him out of the race, but we needed the win. I have a suspicion he didn't feel great about taking me out of the race last year.... :D

19. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

The quick and bitter recap from OSU's end.

Basically to sum things up, Helli outplayed us and our team sucked ass. Our O-line (of all 90+ ovr guys mind you), decided they weren't going to block today. Purdue had 6 sacks, but about 5 times as many pressures. There was literally 1 stretch where our QB got sacked twice and a pass deflected by the Dline on 3 consecutive plays. Was ugly. And due to our 3rd string RB (who has had 1 good game since becoming the starter...somehow against JMS) sucks as well, we really didn;t have many answers on offense to the constant pressure. We picked it up late, but was really too little too late at that point, despite the miracle onsides kick recovery.

Helli (with all due respect to Purdue) really beat me with a bunch of average players, which shows even more how well he played. WR Williams is their 1 star...we were focused on taking him out of the game...and Helli never even threw to him. He ran the ball on us, he passed to other guys, and played a very smart game.

Quality win for Purdue. OSU's title hopes are gone. Didn't expect it this year anyway and have been preaching the doom and gloom all year. GG Helli, congrats

20. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

u guys are too nice to each other!!!

how bout "screw you for beating my ass", "you were lucky mfer"!!!

lol

21. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

lol, naaa known him too long. if i gotta lose a game and the big 10 conference, rather it be purdue than those fockers from Penn St or Michigan lol

22. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I think this is the ultimate X-factor in a user vs. user game.

As long as one of the users isn't moving left to stand behind his left tackle all day (lol) one of the D-lines usually plays better than the other team's in the trenches and it becomes very difficult for the other team to win. That was what happened in this game. We don't have a hugely talented secondary, but they can typically stay with guys for at least a couple seconds. If that's all you have, the game becomes a lot more difficult.

23. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

thats more like it!

24. DJ Rhude

DJ Rhude CAMAR'E

I'm 2 for 2 on these now......good win Hellisan

(y)