Big "Potential" Change

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Big "Potential" Change

Guys,

I've been playing a number of different slider sets, and I've come to a decision:

I think we should get away from varsity sliders. We're having some luck with them, but I think there's a more sim way to go.

I want everyone to have a look at THIS. I played these sliders earlier today, and I plan to play them several times. There's something to the Heisman setting that simply feels more like real football. Now, I'd be looking to perhaps tweak a bit here and there, but I think some version of this set might be a better way to go for next season.

They're hard, but hey, you guys brought it on yourselves. I told you I'd be coming for you next season. :cool: Personally, I think even our best teams should go 9-3 or 8-4 in some years, and we shouldn't be stacked up at the top of the polls each year. Give this set a try.

Keep in mind that, if we don't play them and provide some input, no one is going to care much what you think about them after they go into place - if they go into place.

I think I have done about as much as I can with varsity sliders, and we're still scoring huge. This set should keep things down on both sides. Let me know what you think, but expect them to be an adjustment. It's a significantly different game.

Also, since user games are presently being played at default Varsity difficulty (I think), this change could dramatically change user vs. user contests, which would be a change for the better.

Nothing has been decided yet, but one way of the other, I'm going to put some losses on you guys next year. Who and how many is up to you.

AG

2. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

AG, you've been at this a helluva lot longer than I have, so I trust your judgement. I've played with a crazy amount of sliders in my day also, but I've never had the personal drive to run my own tests and configure my own sliders.

I just wish there was a way to make the game as real and difficult for users as possible, without taking away big play potential. How often do you see a dynamic 60 yard TD run in college football? All the dang time. However, with the more stringent sliders, I often feel as though a back with 95 speed and acceleration has NO chance of going the distance. (Of course, CPU-controlled RB can, but that involves 15 broken tackles.) I wish there was a way to keep speed of the game intact, all while preventing insane offensive numbers and maintaining the authenticity of the college game.

From reading the board, it seems as though if a last second plays had gone the other way and/or one or two miracle performances hadn't occurred, we'd be looking at a completely different season right now. Just something to consider ...

Either way, bring it on.

3. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

I am up for whatever. And it sounds fun.

Really really really wish OD had a feature where you could use current rosters to play other users or spring games using dynasty sliders.

4. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I would likely adjust this set a bit, because even good user QBs are spraying the ball all over. I just missed a bunch of wide open guys (by a mile) with Ryan Mallett. He's going to hit the open ones. But I have broken a number of big plays so far, runs and passes. It just feels more balanced. For example, with our set, we rarely break tackles, they always break tackles. Here's it more common for us, less for them, but the recovery of the defenses is much better, so you'll break one and maybe go big, or maybe get cleaned up. I'd like to get a few games in and see what we can do. Passing is hard. Running is about right. Defense is about right, though CPU qbs seem to get really good late.

But I like the zero threshold a lot. The D is really tough, but if you can get into space, and your fast, you can run away from people.

Overall, it just feels better than our set. I can't really explain it. You kinda have to load'em up and play for yourself.

5. egofailure

From the sound of things, I like these sliders a lot. Just make sure that a quality QB won't over-throw a wide open guy down the middle of the field far too often ;) Everything else sounds great.

6. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

User QB ACC is the biggest problem I'm having so far. I had a play in my last game where I called a run, the d stacked, so I audibled to a play in the same formation, with the inside receiver running a fly route. No one went with him, so I just lobbed the ball up in the air to let the receiver run under it ... and I missed him by fifteen yards. Later, on a middle post route with no defender in sight, I missed the guy by ten, and I set my feet and put some air under the ball. I wasn't moving, wasn't under pressure, and I wasn't throwing my fastball.

And this was with Ryan Mallet, whose arm is pretty good. If those passes get dropped, that's one thing, but to not even be able to get the throw in the right zip code, that's an issue. I still want throwing errors, but it should be a little better than it is now. The coverage is good enough that we will still miss plenty, unless you guys are passing gurus the likes of which I have never seen.

But it's a good set, and a fun, challenging game that keeps stats in check. try it out when you get a chance.

7. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

arch - i'll give these sliders a go in the morning. i like the 0 threshold. I feel like to many d lineman catch up to speed backs.

my fear though is that a 0 threshold would make it just like old ncaa games where speed gets over exaggerated.

8. egofailure

A number of "slider pros" on operationsports have stated that 0 threshold "just feels right." I'll have to try it out myself.

9. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Acceleration matters a lot also, so even guys with less speed close gaps faster. This is a big factor in, say, linebackers getting to the edge before you can turn the corner, for example. The big plays I broke in the run game weren't the pitch plays from last year - the were power O stuff when I got to the second level, shook a guy, and then took off.

Even at zero, you don't really run away from people. It's not nearly as noticeable as the "Trindon Holliday Effect" from last year's game. I had to make a lot of decisions in the run game - when to bounce, when to cut back, etc. It's a pretty interesting experience. But we should try to work the old speed gimmicks to see if they still have any effect. I haven't seen anything yet, and this set should open up the run game from the spread.

10. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

arch - i love you. all i want to do is run from the spread.

11. vatechhokie01

arch - I also love you. in fact, i was wondering if you would consider getting an apartment with me. sometimes i just get your smell in my nose and i need to be near you. i miss you.

12. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

the first quote is fine. The second one makes me feel just a little ... I don't know ... yucky, I guess. You sure you're not Catholic? (Forgive me for that one. I just had to. :eek:)

13. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

Just played a game with these sliders...
    I my one game is an indication of these, I will leave this dynasty. :)

I won 38-31 on a long touchdown with 5 seconds left after the cpu scored 21 straight fourth quarter points to take a one point lead.

-Too high scoring for my tastes.
    -Teams that use mobile qb's will have a field day. My qb ran for 194 yards on 18 carries.
    -CPU threw the football all over place. gave up 428 yards in the air. over 75% completions.
    -defensive backs ai is poor. several long completions with the db's simply running alongside the wr and never attempting to make a play.
    -passing is tough for us, which i kind of like.

Way too easy to score. I had the game wrapped up until CPU AI deciding to go nuts in the fourth quarter.

It felt like an arena football game.

14. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

The catchup AI has been silly in all the games I have played. Haven't tried the mobile QB thing yet. And the CPU passing has been an issue so far. I think the catchup AI might be a Heisman thing we can't get rid of. Maybe an All-American set would be more sim. MY worry is that, with the Varsity sliders, we're running out of tweaks. Pretty soon, we'll have CPU supermen doing all kinds of weird looking stuff. Maybe AA will allow us a little more freedom to tweak. I'll look around.

With this set, I like our running and passing games, but I haven't used an option game or a QB based running game, so I don't know how it behaves.

But, I think the zero threshold is a keeper.

My goal is to get separation, and get the stats down a bit. This gets harder and harder as guys play and learn what works.

15. brucebond

brucebond Walk On

i've always hated playing on heisman. it seems that cpu cheats one way or another.

16. vatechhokie01

my vote is all-american modification. varsity = too easy no matter how you look at it while heisman = too cpu cheating no matter how you look at it.

i havent played them in forever, my my first AA season I lost 2 games and although i played forced sim (meaning held myself accountable), i don't remember any weird stats that seems out of the norm. def passing was harder and running felt about right to be honest.

17. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I have a starter set based on a single game. I have no idea how it will hold up over time, but I just played a 23-10 game into the fourth with OSU @ Washington. I stuffed the run, the passing numbers were real, and I had a hard time throwing. I had big run numbers, but it all came from one big run. I could get 3-6 quite a bit, got hit for a loss a few times, and busted one big one where I got outside and ran away from the D. It felt good. Settings to be posted in the lab.