Big Ten Expansion (continued)

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by HackGolfer, Apr 21, 2010.

1. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

Big Ten Expansion (continued)

The Big Ten announced that now their possible expansion could happen at the end of the coming football season -- and could be a jump to 16 Teams...

A list of teams they have thrown out to add are: Nebraska, Missouri, Pitt, Notre Dame, Rutgers and Syracuse.

To add to the crazy mess, the SEC and PAC-10 have also announced their possible plans to expand if the Big Ten begins to raid multiple conferences. The SEC is speculated to possibly grab Texas and Texas A&M as part of a package deal, while PAC-10 could consider taking Colorado and Boise State.

What are your thoughts about this? Which schools do you think should go where? If the Big 12 lost 4-5 teams, would they look to pick up some C-USA and MWC guys or become the Big 7?

2. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Shit, 16? Well...I guess they don't want to be known as the Big12b. If the Big10 were to expand to 16 teams...shit...that is the D-1 right there. I think 12 is enough, even 14 isn't so bad. 16 sounds like a neat idea, one big super conference, but it basically ruins others. You could lose great yearly rivalries, Pitt/WVU, Oklahoma/Texas if that were to happen, it'd end up being like PSU/Pitt or TAMU/Ark...you just really don't see it anymore. Although this deal would bring those two rivalries back yearly. Idk, I'm not 100% sold on moving to 16...add 1, maybe 3....but that is a big big big big MAYBE...get a conference championship, that's what the Big Ten needs. If ya rename the conference, rename it. Avoid the Big12...try something different...Northern Atlantic Conference, or thrown in Regional and you can be the NARC.

3. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Basically taking out the Big XII if those 3 conferences raid it.
    Nebraska, Missouri, Pitt, Notre Dame, Rutgers and Syracuse.

I don't think it is in the best interest of Pitt or Syracuse to move because they tend to lean heavy basketball. Nebraska why? Missouri geographically would be a good fit and Rutgers I don't know.

Notre Dame come on we know they aren't giving up any of their perks

16 teams wtf?? Big East of Football... If this does happen then EA would have to put in 16 teams to fit a conference (y)

4. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

I doubt Texas will leave the Big12 if they can help it. They are in a good position in the conference at just about every sport, and Texas is making so much money right now. Why would they want to mess with success?

5. astealthyhippo

astealthyhippo happy painting and god bless

The Big East is in serious trouble and they know it. Regardless of who the Big 10 decides to take from the Big East, it will be the end of the conference. It survived the ACC raid, but there are no viable schools to fill in if the Big East were to lose Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, or whoever else the Big 10 wants. People always throw out ECU, Memphis, and I've heard some others mentioned, but they are several years away from becoming an "acceptable" option.

How they split up the remaining victims of the raid will be interesting. One thing is certain, any team in the Big East that is invited to join the Big 10 will jump at the chance. No way any of them would turn it down. The money to be made in the Big 10 is way more than they make in the Big East.