Big Ten Expansion - Revisited

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by HackGolfer, Feb 11, 2010.

1. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

Big Ten Expansion - Revisited

A while ago, the Big Ten announced that they were going to be looking into finding an expansion team down the road so that they could add a conference title game..

The big front runner on that list was to steal Missouri from the Big 12, however there have been some new allegations as of today:

2. shadowofanubis66

shadowofanubis66 Walk On

The big ten is a much better academic conference then the big 12 is, and Texas is always stood out as the "smart child" of the big 12, so it would make sense.

3. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Funny, out west they are talking about same thing, adding 2 teams to the Pac 10 so they can have a championship game. Teams like Boise State, BYU and Utah are names being thrown about as interested.

4. gwill

gwill Sierra, Hotel, India, Echo, Lima, Delta

this would be a great move if it went through. the Big 10 already has markets in Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Chicago, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, and Philadelphia. Adding Texas would give the Big 10 markets in Austin, Dallas-Fort Worth, and Houston. Not to mention since Michigan's taking a leave of absence from being a Big 10 heavyweight it would give us a third heavyweight. I support the move 100%. The only question is if Texas joins the Big 10, does Texas become a slow Big 10 team?

5. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Sounds awesome for us in the North, but who replaces texas?

6. BAKEdaSNAKE

BAKEdaSNAKE Walk On

TCU is probably the best choice.

7. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

If the big 10 goes after Texas they will be adding 3 teams to the conference not just one. Texas will not go without Texas A&M they are going to be a package deal. So then it will come down to Mizzu, Pitt or Syracuse as possibly the 3rd team. TCU has no shot at all. They wont be adding medocrity to the conference. This wont be just a football thing either.

8. Hova

So who replaces the 3 teams?

9. BAKEdaSNAKE

BAKEdaSNAKE Walk On

Why would they add 3 teams? That would make them a 14 team conference, if im not mistaken....

10. NDCOLTS1979

Yes it would make them a 14 team league. That is the only chance the will have of getting texas. Texas will NOT come to the big 10 without A&M. So if the big ten wants Texas as bad as they do then they have no choice but to go to 14 teams

11. Hova

Why wont they without AnM?

12. BAKEdaSNAKE

BAKEdaSNAKE Walk On

What makes you say that though?? I hardly believe Texas A&M would be the biggest obstacle for getting Texas to the Big 10.

13. NDCOLTS1979

The last time Texas had offers to go to move conferences that was part of the situation they stated. It was either both of us or none. Texas and Texas A&M won't give up their rivalry and there is no doubt that politics are going to take and get involved in this situation like it did before. I also heard someone from Big 10 network talking about this earlier saying that the only chance of getting texas is to get both. Plus it was also reported that the big 10 could look to expand to 14 teams which is why the Texas makes since now. When they were only looking into just one and texas comes up in the conversation and the big ten has talked to texas. Now all of a sudden they maybe adding 3 teams also heads toward the fact texas told the big ten both or neither

14. NDCOLTS1979

The intertwined issues of Texas state politics and what happens to Texas A&M were cited as the single greatest obstacles for Texas in joining the Big Ten. It would be interesting if what Longhorn Lawyer noted in his comment on my initial index post about making sure that “Texas A&M is taken” care of would mean that, perhaps, the Aggies could head over to the Pac-10 along with that conference’s long-time rumored target of Colorado and turn the West Coast league into its own extremely strong 12-school offering. I’ll have to amend my 99.99999% probability figure that the Big Ten would not go past 12 schools down to about 95% to allow for the possibility that even if the conference’s revenue needs to be split among 14 schools, getting Texas might be so valuable that if it means that the conference also needs to take A&M (which is a pretty valuable school in and of itself), then it’s more than worth it (as Trashtalk Superstar noted in his own comment). Add on, say, Syracuse to the Big Ten to kick it up to 14 schools and now you’ve added both the states of Texas and New York to the Big Ten footprint and pretty much as close to a national conference as you can get. I still think that the Big Ten would much prefer simply adding Texas to keep the conference tight-knit at 12 schools (since most of the gains in that 14-team conference could be achieved by adding only Texas only), so that’s really only a very last resort.