Big Ten News and Notes

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by -4-, May 26, 2011.

1. -4-

-4- Walk On

Home of the...

Michigan State Spartans

2. -4-

-4- Walk On

Struggling to the Finish Line
    Downward spiral continues for MSU as Spartans lose second straight to end season.

With the Big Ten’s automatic berth in the BCS already locked up, the Spartans traveled to Coral Gables, Florida for a big-time non-conference matchup with the #13 Miami Hurricanes. The showdown between the nation’s twelfth and thirteenth ranked teams, both with identical records, proved to be just as close as the experts had predicted as the Canes capitalized off of three huge Spartan miscues to steal a 16-13 overtime victory.

The entire game was a defensive war. Both teams really could not move the ball much at all, resulting in just 14 total first half points. The Spartans’ poor kicking game really proved to be the difference, as MSU was unable to come away with points from inside the Miami 25-yard line twice in the first half due to the lack of range by kicker Damien Robertson.

With the start of the second half beginning, the defensive battle was still in effect. Neither team was able to muster much offense in the third and the game headed to the final frame with the score deadlocked at 7.

But in the fourth, the pressure seemingly got to the Spartans. After holding the Hurricanes to a punt on the first possession of the quarter, the Spartans made their first costly mistake. On second and long, quarterback David Williams was sacked, fumbling in the process, giving Miami the ball deep in Spartan territory.

The Spartan defense continued its impressive performance, achieving a small victory by holding the Canes to a field goal, as Miami took a slim 3-point lead into the final 3 minutes.

But, with the run game completely bottled up for the entirety of the game and the clock ticking, the Spartans turned to their passing attack and found success. MSU converted two fourth down conversions, including a 4th and 23, taking the lead back when David Williams hooked up with tight end Jamar Dawson on a 43-yard post route for the go ahead score.

What had been a killer for the Spartans all year, the kicking game, really came back to get them here though. Damien Robertson flubbed the extra point try and the Spartan lead remained 13-10 with just 40 seconds to play.

The Canes went right to work, sparked by great starting field position at their 40. Miami burned the Spartans conservative coverage getting into field goal range quickly. The Spartans defensive playcalling got aggressive once again with the threat of a possible touchdown, and MSU held the Canes to a field goal try.

But, the Canes were simply too close and knocked in a 31-yard field goal to send the game to overtime in a 13-13 tie.

With the Spartans winning the toss and electing to play defense first, MSU continued to show its defensive prowess, stopping Miami on three straight plays and forcing another field goal try. The 42-yard kick was good, giving the Canes a 16-13 lead.

The Spartan faithful were ecstatic with the stop, as a touchdown would win it. MSU thought they had the Cane defense on their heels with their previous score, but the game came to an abrupt end, as running back Jay Mayhew was lit up by the Miami defense, fumbling the ball away on the first play of the possession to end the game.

The loss is a tough one for MSU, dropping them to 9-3 and 7-1 on the year. But, the Spartans hold the tiebreaker in the Big Ten over Ohio State by virtue of their head-to-head win. So, the likely bowl destination for the Spartans is Pasadena with the possibility of playing either West Virginia, Boise State, or USC in the Rose Bowl.

3. -4-

-4- Walk On

[​IMG]
    Final Big Ten Standings
    1. Michigan State 7-1 (9-3) **
    1. Ohio State 7-1 (11-1)
    3. Michigan 6-2 (9-3)
    3. Penn State 6-2 (9-3)
    5. Iowa 5-3 (8-4)
    6. Wisconsin 4-4 (8-4)
    7. Minnesota 3-5 (3-8)
    7. Northwestern 3-5 (5-7)
    9. Illinois 2-6 (5-7)
    10. Indiana 1-7 (2-9)
    11. Purdue 0-8 (1-10)

**-owns tiebreaker for head-to-head win.

4. kinqskid

kinqskid Walk On

I see that OSU is ranked #2 in the coaches poll. They better not be in the BCS Championship game against Oregon, especially if they didn't win their own division outright. Only time will tell I guess....LOL

5. -Balla-

-Balla- Walk On

i know you want a rematch at me very bad FSU....lol

6. kinqskid

kinqskid Walk On

Your the defending National Champions, you're ranked Number 1, and you put 56 pts on us in Week 2, so I would love to have another chance to see if my team has improved from Week 2. But we have a very tough matchup with Miami this week, so we're not even thinking past Miami..

7. -Balla-

-Balla- Walk On

If you beat Miami, I think you are in

8. -4-

-4- Walk On

I'd be more worried about Texas jumping you than OSU. He has a game. But, yeah I agree that if you beat Miami you are in. Like I said somewhere else though, it'd be a crime if you won and Texas jumped you.

BTW, PSU was way tougher than OSU to me. Might have just been one of those games where the CPU wanted to get me but, PSU was a real pain. I don't think OSU deserves to be in the title at all.

9. kinqskid

kinqskid Walk On

Yea, I would think I could hop OSU and be in because Miami is ranked high..But we'll see.. Miami is my instate rival so each year we battle each other twice per season (#1 locked rival game, and then #2 in ACC Championship Game) Dude is a great opponent and has a dominate team.

10. -Balla-

-Balla- Walk On

The real crime is me losing the heisman in the last few weeks. I was gonna be so proud of getting back to back Heisman trophies.... :(

11. kinqskid

kinqskid Walk On

Yea, I was thinking Texas may jump me also, but I think he plays a team ranked #22 in Championship game, and I play Miami ranked #11, but who knows the game's BCS logic.. But this is what it is all about several 1 lose teams fighting for a right to play in the big game!! Great Season by everyone regardless of what happens in BCS rankings

12. -Balla-

-Balla- Walk On

It's crazy both teams in the BCS NC will both have 1 loss. Helluva year!!

When you and Miami gettin it on anyway?

13. kinqskid

kinqskid Walk On

Hopefully tonight or tomorrow sometime. I'm just waiting to hear back from him..