Blog Ideas / FAQ

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by DatNDaz, May 3, 2009.

1. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Blog Ideas / FAQ

Thought we should have a place early on where we can discuss the blogs. Ideas, questions, and such.

I'd like to find a way to put stats, recruiting signees, etc on the blog. Standings/stats/rankings on the main league page. I suppose we could always just put it in the forum somewhere and link to it, but is there a better way?

2. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

There are ways to put text in the margins of your blog. This would require updating manually, but it can be done. I imagine this is how our weekly top 25 will be done.

On second thought, I'm going to run some searches for free apps that might help us. Blogger's list is extensive, (Just click customize, and then select add a gadget) but I'm sure there are many other out there. I'll let you know if I find something cool.

3. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

I noticed the ability to make text lists. I'm thinking more along the lines of a chart/spreadsheet that would have more options for customization / manipulation of data.

I'm also thinking about the best way to keep historical info on the league. The data from those text lists just goes away, but what if we want to keep all of our recruiting classes, user vs user scores, etc somewhere for future reference? I'm going to continue looking as well, but figured it wouldn't hurt to throw it out there and see if anyone had ideas.

4. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Check this out Dat: http://www.avidmanager.com/

Very very comprehensive stat system. Granted it is a lot of input of stats from each coach, but if everyone were required to do it, I think that would be great.

I personally will be using the site.

5. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

That looks great. Everything's already built out for us.

I wonder if there would be a way to incorporate certain things directly into the blogs, or would we just have to link to it? I think the more that can be presented in the blogs, the better. I'm envisioning having my updated stat leaders, schedule, and recruiting signees updated on the front page of the blog.

Also, is there any way to know if that website is going to have long-term support? Has it been around a while? I'd hate to have several seasons of everyone's work loaded in there and then have the site shut down and lose everything.

6. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

That site has been around since 2004 or 2005. The guy that developed it is a Utopia/NCAA Strategies member, Rhombic21. Great guy, and this tool is fantastic. It gives you two output methods: HTML and BBcode. Should just be able to paste away with the HTML code.

This whole league really revived ya, eh? You've been a ghost around these parts lateley -- stay visible man!

7. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Yeah, I've seen his name. He's one of the strategy gurus over there. The ability to take the code and paste it over seems like the perfect solution.

And yes, it's been a perfect storm of things keeping me out of here. The job change started it. I'm a month in now and settling in. And the reason I'm so excited about this league is kind of the same reason I kind of fell off recently when we restarted. I could have kept up with getting my games and recruiting done, but my heart wasn't in it since the thing I really love about this game is the long-term team building and user interaction. Going back to that 08 ND roster for my 6th time and knowing that recruiting didn't really mean much (not to mention was way too easy, hence my suggestion in the other thread), took a lot of my motivation. Posting fell off (I'm as much to blame as anyone), and combined with the new job, I just figured it was better to let Hitman take ND since he's more enthusiastic about it.

My energies are refocused here and I couldn't be more excited. Good to be "back"

8. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

It's old blood. Thats why this will be the prime time (no FSU pun intended) of the OFFL. And, I have to imagine it will be damn near impossible to get in any time soon.

9. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

If EA ever put full stats, polls, etc. online through EASW, and then allowed you to RSS said polls and stats, I would:

A) Pass out
    B) Get a semi
    C) Become even more addicted to a fucking game

Clearly that is wishful thinking, but man that would be siiiiiiiiiick

10. Juggernautblitz

Juggernautblitz Carbon glutton

Did you just say "get a semi"?

11. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

A Semi? Really Basis, apparently the swamp water has gone to your brain.

12. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Haha, nice. I'm with you. I was think about this a couple days ago. How hard would it really be? I can't imagine it would be that costly or difficult. Apparently there's more to it than I would guess.

13. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Ah man I am disappointed with the league's general lack of a sense of humor! Either that or you guys have no idea what I am talking about. I am going with the former on this one -- lighten up!

It definitely would NOT be difficult to do, it just comes down to EA's willingness to step their game up to a small segment of their sales. It wouldn't pay off monetarily much at all for them to do, and unfortunately as far as EA is concerned, they seem to be all about the $$$$ and not necessarily about the product.

14. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

Heh, I'd settle for the things they DO have - DynastyTracker - actually working.

On another note, I'm really pumped about what I've seen on The OFFL Experience Blogosphere. One thing - is there a way for the comments to always be displayed?

15. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I think there's an option that will allow you to display comments under the post, rather than needing to click a link. I'll see what I can find out.

16. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

AG is correct. I made my settings require that you click the link to see the comments, because who KNOWS what you devious bastages might write at some point! :D

This is going to be a lot of fun!

17. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

8 blogs up now, 2 months ahead of time.

This is going to be a great, great league.

18. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

It should be fun. I think we should all have a blog list like the main page does (Dat has one, but I don't yet) so all pages link to all others. If we do that, we can just jump from page to page.

Oh, and anyone who has trouble with their blog can invite me as an author, and then grant me admin privileges. Do this, and I can make changes on your page if you want me to. Guys who want this kind of help can just PM me, and I'll tell you how to do the invite and such.

AG

19. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Keepin' it 1hunnah.

Featured Threads:
    Can you email me the info on the blogs? You have my email AG.

I apparently missed the bus on this.:)

20. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I'll send out your invite now.

Here's a link to the league blog.

I also re-sent AMP's invite. It's been sitting a few days. His blog is up, though. I just don't have him listed as an author on the main page yet. Blitz accepted his invite, but hasn't created a blog yet. If anybody needs help, just let me know.

I think we also need info for PK and reagle. That should round things out.

AG

21. Juggernautblitz

Juggernautblitz Carbon glutton

I got my blog up and trying to figure out what to do with it. How do I link with you guys? Where do I go to get those nifty gadgets you guys have? Etc., etc., etc....

22. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I'll post some vids on the main page when I get a chance. But I'll tell you this - you can goof around with it all you want. Go to the customize option at the top right of the page, and when you see the layout on the screen, click one of the "add a gadget" options. It will bring up a list, and several categories of gadgets you can search.

More later,

AG

23. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

OK - I got you linked to the main blog, and I signed on as a follower to your blog. I'm sure the rest of the guys will follow.