Blog questions

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by jello1717, Jun 26, 2009.

1. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Blog questions

I've been playing around with my blog and I have some questions.

Do you guys see my countdown timer counting down? When I look at it on firefox both logged into my blog and not logged in, it looks fine. When I look at it in IE, however, I see the widget, but not the actual countdown.

How does my slideshow widget look? It took me a while to find a halfway decent one. Specifically, does it resize for you when you resize the window? My favorite widget didn't resize so, while it looked fine at my native resolution it had scroll bars added at smaller ones.

How do I center my "Maize Rage" picture?

How do I get my icon to show up under your "followers" sections? My icon is generic on them all. I've gone to my dashboard and edited my profile under that and I see my beautiful yellow "M" as my icon there. Where do I need to set it to show up under your followers sections?

2. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

Countdown doesnt work..

but the blog looks great man!..

those blogs have a code for easportsworld videos?!

3. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I'd like to help, but you may have passed me in the skills department. I'd like to know where the slideshow woidget came from. Also, the theme you use seems to use the entire screen rather than just the middles section, like mine.

Your blog looks really nice. I may have to learn a bit so I can compete with you. I'm not going to let that team up north have the best blog.

4. jello1717

Murkya, what browser do you use? I'm on my PC now (I've done everything else on my laptop) and the countdown works here in firefox, but not in IE, so it doesn't seem to be very IE friendly.

I had another question. Is there a way to write my blog in word and do tables in xcel and have the settings carry over to my blog? IE. I wrote my interview blog in word and bolded every initial of myself and the interviewer, but when I copy/pasted it to my blog, the boldness was gone. I'd also like to do font color changes there, but that doesn't carry over either. Also, my spreadsheet with the ratings in it that I posted here looked much better in xcel and I'd like to be able to copy it exactly to my blog/ forum posts.

For my slideshow, I went to the add a gadget thing and did a search in the "search for gadget" thing for "picasa slideshow" and luckily there were only 10 of them. I tried them all and I think the "Image slideshow" is the one I chose. It has the screenshots, as well as thumbnails of them below (which I don't like), but it resizes everything depending on the size of the browser window, while the ones that I liked better didn't. Also, this one has that hideous black background (I can only choose black or white) while the other one I liked allowed me to use a hex # color to match it exactly to my beautiful maize background.

For the easportsworld videos, I went to mine and clicked on one of my videos. When it comes up, there's a little blog icon under. Just click on that and it has the embedded code you need. Click on the copy button and it'll copy it for you (because I guess it's to hard to select the text and hit CNTL/C) and then I just pasted that in my text window while writing my blog.

I don't I'll use easportsworld videos though since I can only have 5 uploaded at a time and I would guess I'd want more, so I'll likely have to find out how to save them to my pc and then find out how to upload them to my blog.

5. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

I don't see the countdown. I'm using IE.

It took me a while to figure out how to center my header. I think it depends on how your html code is built, but I had to go to the header section of the code and change the left margin from "auto" to "125px".

6. jello1717

Check out my blog now. I've been playing around with ways to get some nice tables in there. I'd love it if I could just copy and paste some stuff from excel like this:
    Passing Leaders comp/att TDs ints Yards
    Forcier 117/200 15 10 1720
    Sheridan 35/70 2 6 321

and make it look as good as the table function in this forum makes it look like this:
    Column 1
    Passing Leaders comp/att TDs ints Yards
    Forcier 117/200 15 10 1720
    Sheridan 35/70 2 6 321

but I've been unable.

If you look at my blog post, the chart looks okay, but there's a huge gap above it for some reason.

If you look in the yellow section for "Box score from excel" the problem I have is that the headings of the columns don't line up with the numbers and it looks screwy. This was simply done by filling in the chart in excel, copy/paste, post. It's that easy, but doesn't look good enough.

I tried copying the code from avid manager, but ran into issues there too. If you look at the section titled "avid dynasty stats with copied html that had to be cleaned up" that looks really good, but it was a pain in the ass to get it to look like that.

Also, in none of my attempts was I able to get the lines drawn for the columns like this forum does for its tables. Does anyone know how to do this and make it easy and look good? I found some code on here from MileHigh, but it didn't work for me.

7. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

confirmed.. works with firefox but not ie

I wish you could download the videos to your pc, but they don't offer that option..

I guess they used to, but recently stopped...WHICH SUCKS!!

8. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Keepin' it 1hunnah.

Featured Threads:
    If you can paste it into a email client, you can email it to your blog and it will retain it's formatting.

If you need help with HTML I can teach you some.

9. jello1717

It's kind of aggrevating how my blog is different between firefox (which I use) and IE (which noone should use :) ). IE. my countdown timer works like a charm in firefox, but doesn't work at all in IE. Also, I just noticed something else. I just did my stat leaders and the category name in firefox shows up on 1 line like it should like this:
    PASSING
    RUSHING
    but in IE, it takes two lines like this:
    PASSI
    NG
    RUSHI
    NG
    and looks like crap.

I'm not quite sure how to fix this. I'll probably just make sure it looks good for me in firefox. :D

10. Geauxlden

Geauxlden Walk On

I mainly use Firefox as well, so it'll look cool to me.

11. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

Heh, yeah, no need to bang your head against the brick wall of browser compatability. Long as it looks good to me, I'm happy with it.

12. The gap is due to spaces. Took me days to figure that one out. So if you make the html look nice and neat like this ..
    <table style="text-align: center; margin-left: 0px; margin-right: 0px;" bgcolor="#000000" border="1" cellspacing="1" width="250">
    <tr><td>9/5</td><td style="color: rgb(0, 102, 0);">CSU </td><td>TBD</td></tr>
    <tr><td>9/12 </td><td style="color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">OPEN</td><td>TBD</td></tr>
    <tr><td>9/19</td><td style="color: rgb(160, 150, 90);">Wyoming </td><td>TBD</td></tr>
    <tr><td>9/26</td><td style="color: rgb(204, 153, 0);">Army (shaun) </td><td>TBD</td></tr>
    <tr><td>10/3</td><td style="color: rgb(204, 51, 0);">@Miami (Cole) </td><td>TBD</td></tr>
    <tr><td>10/10</td><td style="color: rgb(232, 82, 0);">@Texas </td><td>TBD</td></tr>

You get a gap at the top.

It has to look like this..

<table style="text-align: center; margin-left: 0px; margin-right: 0px;" border="1" cellspacing="1" width="250"><tr><td>9/5</td><td style="color: rgb(0, 102, 0);">CSU </td><td>TBD</td></tr><tr><td>9/11 </td><td style="color: rgb(255, 255, 0);">@Toledo</td><td>TBD</td></tr><tr><td>9/11 </td><td>CSU </td><td>TBD </td></tr><tr><td>9/11 </td><td>CSU </td><td>TBD </td></tr><tr><td>9/11 </td><td>CSU </td><td>TBD </td></tr><tr><td>9/11 </td><td>CSU </td><td>TBD </td></tr><tr><td>9/11 </td><td>CSU </td><td>TBD </td></tr><tr><td>9/11 </td><td>CSU </td><td>TBD </td></tr><tr><td>9/11 </td><td>CSU </td><td>TBD </td></tr><tr><td>9/11 </td><td>CSU</td><td>TBD </td></tr><tr><td>9/11 </td><td>CSU </td><td>TBD </td></tr><tr><td>9/11 </td><td>CSU </td><td>TBD </td></tr><table>

Basically one long ass line. Hard to see here but what I was doing was at the end of a line, I hit enter. It looked nicer until its posted. So you have to remove all spaces.

13. The color was a bitch too. Here is my schedule with color...

<table style="text-align: center; margin-left: 0px; margin-right: 0px;" border="1" cellspacing="1" width="250"><tr><td>9/5</td><td style="color: rgb(0, 102, 0);">CSU </td><td>TBD</td></tr><tr><td>9/11 </td><td style="color: rgb(255, 255, 0);">@Toledo</td><td>TBD</td></tr><tr><td>9/11 </td><td>CSU </td><td>TBD </td></tr><tr><td>9/11 </td><td>CSU </td><td>TBD </td></tr><tr><td>9/11 </td><td>CSU </td><td>TBD </td></tr><tr><td>9/11 </td><td>CSU </td><td>TBD </td></tr><tr><td>9/11 </td><td>CSU </td><td>TBD </td></tr><tr><td>9/11 </td><td>CSU </td><td>TBD </td></tr><tr><td>9/11 </td><td>CSU </td><td>TBD </td></tr><tr><td>9/11 </td><td>CSU</td><td>TBD </td></tr><tr><td>9/11 </td><td>CSU </td><td>TBD </td></tr><tr><td>9/11 </td><td>CSU </td><td>TBD </td></tr><table>

What I had to do was find the color code here.
    http://www.ncaastrategies.com/utopia/showthread.php?t=59157

Then go here to convert it to RGB.
    http://www.drpeterjones.com/colorcalc/

14. Jello, that is a great looking blog by the way. How were you able to use the whole page and not have borders on each side?

15. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Four-sear. :D

16. jello1717

I'm guessing it's because of the template that I use. I use one of the standard ones, tekka.

17. jello1717

How do you get this stuff? Do you use some sort of html editor? I'm looking to be able to write stuff in excel (since that's easier for me to use) and then just paste that into my blog posts. I get some html code from that, but it doesn't look correct and it's too hard for me to look at the html code it produces and then edit it to be correct.

I've tried emailing it to my blog but that's not working very well either (although it's better than what I get by pasting it from excel).

18. jello1717

I can't access that page.

19. jello1717

Nice! I just found out that my work laptop has Microsoft Front Page (an html editor) installed on it. I've just played around with it a little bit, and so far, it's much easier to work with.

EDIT:if
    So I'm going to like this much better. If you look at my blog now, if you look at my standings and schedule, for those, I just made a table in front page and then just wrote what I wanted. I used the fonts and colors I wanted. I then just copied it and pasted it into my "rich text" section and it looks like I want. This'll make my life much easier.

20. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

That blog is looking really nice Hitman!

21. Thanks Basis

22. jello1717

Hey Basis. How did you get 2 columns in your right "column?" IE. like how you have your schedule right next to your espn gadgets. I'd like to have 2 columns like that (or 3 separate columns like on the GT blog) so that I could put, say, my schedule right next to my standings.

23. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Any care to help a blogging impared person figure out how to make it look decent at least?