Blogs

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by Razcalking1978, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

Blogs

Guys, we have blogs that haven't been updated since the pre-season. They're the entire basis and reason for this league existing.

If you don't feel like doing the blogging or write-ups, maybe it's time to give up your spot to someone who will. There are plenty of other OFFL and Tradition leagues to get your game fixes.

2. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Is there a database or photo album that has those cool logos you guys use (like the spartan and wisconsin one in Raz's latest blog?

3. Razcalking1978

I got them all from HERE - enjoy!

4. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

If anyone wants to point me towards a good blog tutorial, I'd appreciate it...If it's like the OFFL one Archie runs, I basically know how to get stuff up but will def. need more details to do other things, etc.

Thanks...

5. Razcalking1978

6. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I've been thinking about this.

Right now, we update the forums, our personal blogs, and the website.

It's a bit much.

Personally, I dig the blogs. They allow us to do some cool stuff. However, tables seem much harder to manage there too. Also, the blogs translate poorly into website posts.

I think the presentation in the blogs is superior to the other places we post, but the forums are more functional in terms of translating material to the website.

I would like to make the blogs optional, and the forums required, just so we know what's what. But that's just my opinion. The guys might feel differently.

That being said, we have enough inactivity around here to take some action. I'm looking into it now.

AG

7. Razcalking1978

Here's my case for blogs over forums:

1. They allow a central place for you to visually represent your dynasty. On my blog page it's one screen where I can see the last 7-8 important things that happened to my or someone else's team.

2. The blogs are far more visually unique with backgrounds and designs. This has a massive effect over the constant gray of the forums.

3. I can instantly see the latest updates on other people's teams, creating a greater sense of community. I don't have to search through to see if I've missed something, and teams can't just not post anything without people noticing. I know which teams haven't posted recently on their blogs. In my other dynasties, I have no freakin' clue - there could be some teams that haven't posted in months, and I'd never know.

4. I can have widgets like my schedule and results sitting there right beside my latest game recap. On the forums that can never happen.

5. It allows for others to comment without taking over the space. On the forums a thread where 8 people comment on a story it takes a page of space and kills the continuity of your dynasty. On the blogs the comments are rightfully kept to a small space and don't take over the story of the team.

6. It discourages lame-ass summaries and makes you care more. These forums are full of one-line summaries, etc - hell, I do them myself once in a while. But when I put a blog post up, I generally care that it's interesting and has a visual element.

7. Following other team's blogs makes you care more about what's being written. I know how Army, Notre Dame, Michigian, etc. are doing this year in the E-League. I have no idea how other teams in the OFFL East are doing. I read the posts, but they all sort of blend together eventually.

8. If the blogs are optional, then the E-League is the same as every other dynasty here, and we'd be better off spreading our activity level throughout the OFFL. Right now, the E-League is the dynasty I'd stick with if I only had time for one. If it was just another league here on the forums, I might choose otherwise.

8. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Along these lines, would it make sense for us to Sticky a thread at the top for "Technical FAQ"? It would have things like posts about blogs, AG's post the other day about how to post a pic on the website, where to find pics like Raz used or AG's photo website, useful hints on forum stuff like tables, etc. It would be open to posting questions, maybe, but ultimately they would be deleted and only the information would remain. I'd be happy to create / maintain it, although I may need technical assistance on that ;).

9. jello1717

I've mentioned in the past that I greatly prefer the blog over the other mediums and I think Raz makes a lot of good points in this post.

10. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Raz makes a good case, as always.

I just don't want guys to get frustrated posting in several places. If we're ok with this, I'm ok with this.

Site content seems to be flowing pretty well, so I think we're ok.

Some of us are lagging, though.

AG

11. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Do I need a password, etc. to jump into the OU blog?

12. jello1717

I'm pretty sure that Bruce is the owner of that. It'll likely be easier for you to start your own. If you're around now, I can hit you up on XBL and try to walk you through it (but it's been a while since I set mine up so I might not remember a lot.

13. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

I was thinking the same thing Jello...Start a new one at the bye week coaching change...New regime, new blog. I'll see what I can muster up.

14. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Here is the link to my new OU blog...So far I've only set up the framework of it, no posts yet. Added two pics and my profile. Let me know what you think, so far...I'm also open to tips, suggestions, etc.

Here it is:

http://oklahomasoonerfootball.blogspot.com/

15. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Cool. I'll have a look as soon as I get a chance. Just punched out a rather quick GameDay, and now I have to go update my OSU stuff.

AG

16. Razcalking1978

Looking good so far JHeb. It'll be nice to have another active blog on board.

17. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Trying to figure this all out...Can we use youtube vids on these blogs? Can't figure that out yet.

18. Razcalking1978

Yep - just grab the embed code from Youtube and paste it in. Might need to change the size on it to get it to fit.

19. jello1717

When I click on your link I get:

"The blog you were looking for was not found."

EDIT:
    Maybe it's just missing right now or something. I thought it might've had a type-o so I tried oklahomassoonersfootball and it told me that it wasn't available, but I could create it because it didn't exist. I didn't get the extra "doesn't exist" message for yours.

20. Razcalking1978

The link was working yesterday; not so much now. Maybe he re-named it.

21. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I just granted admin privileges to a few guys on the main blog. Some of you will now be able to change layouts, gadgets, or whatever else you think might be cool. Some of you are just plain better at this than I am, so I thought I'd open it up. It would be nice if we had a place for top current news and such.

If we're going to use it, might as well do it well.

AG

- I think Dat, Basis, Raz, jello, and I can't remember who else, have admin rights. I just kinda clicked a few guys. I imagine I'll be giving rights to everyone before long.

22. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Sorry, I did go in and change the domain name to have it like most of you guys have it, with the "OFFL" line in their...Now it's "offl-oklahomafootball".

I went ahead and entered titles to updates I'll so ASAP...Added some recruiting stuff in too.