Boise St Open Challenge

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by jmillhimes, Nov 7, 2009.

1. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

Boise St Open Challenge

Hmmmm...Guess they are demanding that respect

2. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

Boise State has set out to accommodate the BCS, but no one wants to play them, except Oregon State. Sure Oregon State and Virginia Tech agreed to play Boise State next season (2010), but the Broncos have one road game yet to fill their 2011 schedule and according to WAC commissioner Karl Benson who spoke with the Idaho Statesman, the Broncos are struggling to schedule.

The Statesman reported the Broncos cannot get “a BCS-conference opponent for 2011—even with the help (and exposure and money) of ESPN behind the effort. The Broncos are not asking for a return game in Boise.”

The amount of teams that have said no to the Broncos is roughly 10.

Its not like the Broncos are asking teams for a one-and-one. The opposition never has to step foot on the “Blue Turf” that seems to be a sore spot across the country. Playing the Broncos offers ESPN incentives as well.

Hope someone grows the pair and plays them. Looks like a decent schedule next year

3. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Why would ANYONE of that high caliber want to play Boise State? Think of it from the top-tier team's point of view; it's a lose-lose.

1) Win the game. Yeah? You were supposed to beat up the WAC team in your house.

2) Lose the game. You suck, you lost at home to a weak out of conference team.

Boise wins in both cases. The AD that takes this bait might as well be fired now.

4. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Ever since Boise St beat Oklahoma in the Bowl Game all the big schools are scared of them.

However, your number 2 is flawed, Boise State is not a weak team. Sure the WAC is weak but Boise State is not a weak team.

The lack of good teams even willing to step up on this is a good reason for a playoff.

5. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Basis is spot on with his analysis. #2 is correct. No, Boise isn't a weak team, but if a top 10 program lost to them at home, even if Boise went undefeated all year, it would be a disappointing loss for the top 10 team.

Like Basis said, there's really no upside for a USC, UF, Ohio St, or any one else of that prestige to play them.

I do give props to Boise though for coming out with this. That's awesome. If they want to do themselves a favor though, they should be spending this media money on petitioning the Pac10 to adopt them.

6. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

Exactly.

7. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Boist St has a long way to go as a university before the Pac-10 could ever think about bringing them in. They can't compete on any other level except football program (which even some people would debate). Their is a lot more to entering a conference than just a football program. Hence why Baylor is in the Big XII and not TCU or SMU.

8. GoGators

Yeah, I hear what you're getting at Drifter but there are ways around that.

1) I think the revenue the Pac10 would generate from adding them and adding a championship game would probably be worth it considering how much revenue football can generate as compared to baseball, softball, tennis, etc.

2) They could go a route like Notre Dame in Basketball whereby they're independent in football but play in the Big East for basketball.

However, there's also academics which the Pac10 is a pretty strong academic conference. I'm not sure how Boise's academics rank but I doubt it's on par with USC, UCLA, and Stanford.

9. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    It has little to do with revenue if you're talking about sports outside of football. It has to do with a level of competition, facilities and a number of different things that are political related (including cooperation with title IX).

10. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

GoGators>

Hence, another reason for a playoff. The main reason the BCS is flawed is because teams can schedule weak OOC. Boise wants to schedule tougher OOC but they have no takers. Eliminate the FCS vs FBS games. Only the elite FCS teams usually win against weaker FBS teams anyway. App State a couple of years ago, this year was Richmond.

Basis did call Boise a weak team though. They must not be that weak when no one with any talent wants to play them. You would think that someone good would want to play them for the simple reason when Boise State loses it would end some of the controversy for a while.

11. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

That, and they did manhandle Oregon at the start of the season. Hence, there not a weak team

12. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

Well everyone will find out alot next year. The problem could be lets for sake of argument say Boise St beats both Va Tech and Oregon St. That may actually hurt them with scheduling. If Boise beats both of them then what are the chances another big school will want to play them? Absolutely none. Texas will never sign on because they have to have their cupcakes out of conference. As do Flordia and the other top schools. They dont risk their non conference at all and never will with the way things are set up. one loss ruins you but the main problem is how in the world can Boise get a harder schedule if noone wants to play them.

13. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Weak as in PERCEPTION, as in how people would view Florida losing at home to Boise State.

It is my opinion that Boise State is weak. They beat these big-time schools based on trick/gimmick plays. Yes, they are decent enough to keep it to within a couple of scores so that these plays turn the game to their favor, but they are not THAT good. I guess that crept into my first post, but what I meant was all about perception.

14. GoGators

You're missing the point again. There is ABSOLUTELY no upside for UF, Bama, Texas, USC, or any other elite program to schedule them. Plus, I don't see how UF, Texas, or USC beating Boise at home would stop this controversy. All anyone would say is that you should have beat them at home. Exactly what Basis said in his original post.

Yes, I think it would be cool if UF scheduled them for a preseason game. It would be more fun to watch than say Charleston Southern. At the same time though, these schools already have difficult schedules. It's Boise's issue that they have a 100+ ranked strength of schedule, not anybody else's.

If you want your playoff, it's coming. On Dec 5th #1 will play #2 to find out who gets to play #3 for the national championship. How about we argue about that??? Any takers want to shed a tear for UF or Alabama who has to play basically the national championship game in order to go play Texas for the BCS title???

15. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Weak as in PERCEPTION, as in how people would view Florida losing at home to Boise State.

It is my opinion that Boise State is weak. They beat these big-time schools based on trick/gimmick plays. Yes, they are decent enough to keep it to within a couple of scores so that these plays turn the game to their favor, but they are not THAT good. I guess that crept into my first post, but what I meant was all about perception.
    This was said by Basis

That being said we could call Florida weak for using gimmick plays. Same with any team that uses the wildcat in any form, those are gimmick plays.

You're missing the point again. There is ABSOLUTELY no upside for UF, Bama, Texas, USC, or any other elite program to schedule them. Plus, I don't see how UF, Texas, or USC beating Boise at home would stop this controversy. All anyone would say is that you should have beat them at home. Exactly what Basis said in his original post.

Yes, I think it would be cool if UF scheduled them for a preseason game. It would be more fun to watch than say Charleston Southern. At the same time though, these schools already have difficult schedules. It's Boise's issue that they have a 100+ ranked strength of schedule, not anybody else's.

If you want your playoff, it's coming. On Dec 5th #1 will play #2 to find out who gets to play #3 for the national championship. How about we argue about that??? Any takers want to shed a tear for UF or Alabama who has to play basically the national championship game in order to go play Texas for the BCS title??? Said by GoGators

Dude, I didn't miss the point. The polling for college football is flawed it has been for at least 15 years now. It's so skewed towards the name schools like Florida that teams like Boise and TCU don't get a real shot. What if we finish with 4 defeated teams after the conference championship games. It could happen. Florida/Alabama is one, TCU is two, Boise State is three, Cincinnati is four. That's a legit argument for a playoff right there. If it's not a legit argument then it's a legit argument to really make every game count and eliminate the FBS/FCS games and make teams schedule better OOC games.

16. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

Don't know how to quote?