Boise State/Va Tech

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by bcduggan, Sep 7, 2010.

1. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Boise State/Va Tech

Any thoughts about Va Tech throwing the pass with 2 min left and Boise without timeouts?

I am a Boise State fan and I thought Va Tech made a mistake in throwing the ball. I know it was 3rd and 8 but up 4 and opponent without timeouts I would rather take 40-50 seconds off the clock before punting the ball.

2. Psycho

Psycho Walk On

2 minutes versus 1:20 to go 60 yards, in college football where the clock stops on a first down, still means you basically have to make a stop on defense.

The punt/punt return hurt them more then the decision to pass the ball... well for the matter their special team play the entire game hurt them more then their decision to pass the ball in that situation.

3. JFunk34

JFunk34 Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate.

They should worry more about the fact that in the first quarter Boise only gained 76 yards but racked up 17 points.

4. King_CEPS_11

King_CEPS_11 Walk On

It ended up working out in Virginia Tech's favor becuase they got the ball back with one minute to go which is plenty of time to get into field goal range but the last drive was awful. IMO I would throw in that situation because if you get it the game is over. If you run the ball they will still get it back with 1:10 left or so which doesn't really do you any good because that is still too much time. If there is a minute and a half or less left when you snap the ball, then I think it is a run no matter what. I think there is a fine line between when you should run in that situation and when you should pass. That is a close situation but I can't fault them for throwing in that case. I do think the play call however was not smart. It was a low percentage throw, and they had been hitting high percentage throws for good chunks all night so I question that more than the decision to throw. Just my two cents on the situation.

5. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

Yep, this is why they lost. That and Kellen Moore is cold as ice!

6. JFunk34

JFunk34 Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate.

Yeah Kellen Moore is sick. And Bud Foster in all his infinite wisdom decided to let him sit back and pick apart their soft zone instead of pressuring him. Genius.

7. TeXasfight33

TeXasfight33 Walk On

i HATE boise and those unis might be the ugliest things i have ever seen in my life. just my two cents

8. drowsike

drowsike Go DAWGS

Thank YOU!!! I was saying this all night last night after the play. I think taking that time of the clock would have changed Boise's play calls and they wouldn't have that poise that they had, because of the time restraint

9. DreSmithJr

DreSmithJr It Be So EMPTY, WITHOUT ME...

Kellen Moore = NFL QB.... u heard it here voice

10. GSUtiger

GSUtiger GEAUX TIGERS!!

VT lost the game in the 1st Qtr when Boise jumped out to the 17-0 lead got back in the game to not play defense in the last 2mins. Idk what the hell Foster was thinking. I will say that Boise looked like a team on a mission from the opening kick

11. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Youre right BC. VT lost the game right there. They weathered BSU's early attack, came back, and had the game. That was a terrible call. Taylor was able to run on them. That should have been a run up the gut, or a QB draw. No way that ball should have left the ground.

Would have made the punt a little easier... would have given the defense more confidence(instead of that nasty feeling you get in your gut when the offense messes up), and probably would have taken away 1 or 2 of those penalties that gave boise the win.

12. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

true, but the way VT's passing game was going that game I wouldnt have trusted any of those receivers to catch a ball. put tyrod in the shotgun and let him run. thats a roll of the dice too, but I think he had a better chance of getting it with his feet than with his arm.