Books on baseball

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by JohnnyClutch, Jun 9, 2012.

1. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

I was just wondering if anybody has read any good books on baseball, specifically any ones on all the new stats and that sort. I read Moneyball when it came out but nothing since then. This league has really got me back into wanting to learn and understand the new stats stuff.

2. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

If you are wanting to learn about the stats, anything by Bill James. I would recommend the Historical Baseball Abstract. In addition, the Baseball Prospectus is printed annually and has tons of good information as well.

3. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

The Book. Its dry as hell and almost impossible to read in one sitting, but its one of the best books written about strategy. As a heads up, its also INCREDIBLY math oriented. It almost reads like a math textbook.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  4. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

Cool. Thanks I'll look into those.

5. Dan Heckelbeck

Dan Heckelbeck Walk On

For looking at stats, the Bill James Handbook that comes out every year is good for simply stats, and predictions. I also like looking at Baseball Prospectus. But I never buy these books... looking at numbers puts me to sleep and I get bored easily. I just browse these books when I frequent Barnes & Noble.

I use to buy the Bill James Handbook, and enter rookies information back in the day when I use to buy Pursue The Pennant, a sim baseball pc game. They didn't always have all the players. But now, it's not necessary.