Bowl Game Playbook Change

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Bowl Game Playbook Change

I was thinking -

Most teams like to throw new wrinkles into their offenses at bowl time. We always see plays a team hasn't run before. What would you guys think of allowing a playbook change, within your style (meaning spread for spread, pro for pro, etc.) at bowl time? I think it might give guys a chance to go out and get a formation they like, add in a wildcat, for example, in order to scheme for a specific team they are going to play.

No changes on defense, but comparable playbook on offense, as long as they're announced before your bowl week. How's that strike you guys?

If we go to the new sliders at bowl season (and that's still an "if") it might also give us a chance to react to the change.

2. BulldogBully

BulldogBully Whiskey Slinger

I like the idea

3. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I didn't hear any objections, and as I'm sure many of you have guessed, I had a playbook change in mind. I played my last game today, and I'd like something to do while you guys get in the next couple of weeks.

If no one has an issue, I'd like to exchange Miami's pro-style playbook for Boise State's pro-style playbook. If anyone objects, I'd be fine waiting until the off-season.

Anyone else been considering a change?

4. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

If you don't mind, I'll roll with SC's playbook until I master the living crap out of it. ;)

(BTW, I like this rule. Coaches typically break out a lot of new wrinkles come Bowl time.)

5. JustASample

JustASample Walk On

cool with me

6. mbmonk

mbmonk Walk On

AWESOME idea. I love it :)

7. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Say that when I pull the statue of liberty on 4th and goal :D Seriously, though - worst play ever. It never ever works. I tried it in practice, and got hit for a loss like twenty times in a row.

8. mbmonk

mbmonk Walk On

If you want to really get pissed off try running the 'fleXbox One' playbooks GT and Navy have. Their option run/pass plays are completely broken. They are clumsy and fail repeatedly.

That playbook is really pathetic. Basically you can just run cover 0 blitzes against the default fleXbox One formation because they have no route combinations that are good against man to man. which is sad because it has some great run plays that hit up the middle.

I was really excited about that playbook and it turned into rage and disappointment :p

9. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I agree. I liked the GTech squad last year, and thought about playing them this year, but I just can't make the playbook work for me.

I'm also kind of disappointed in the read option. It's got a nice animation, and I like the decision making involved, but almost any blitzer equals a four yard loss. I think blitzing players need to be affected by the read/fake, and they're not, which is one of the big reasons why running out of the spread is a problem. Man for man, it works like it should, but you should be able to run that play with fewer negative results. Same goes for the Pistol read options, which should gash the D up the middle from time to time, yet never do.

They're on to the right formula, I think, but the AI needs to react a bit differently.

10. mbmonk

mbmonk Walk On

So true. The fleXbox One has some misdirection plays, but the AI doesn't really react to the misdirection so you just end up with few blockers to the play side when you run it.. not exactly helpful.

AI also seems to be the issue that explains why running plays with pulling lineman are so damn good. I manual the MLB now because of how bad the AI is at recognizing the pulling guard and moving toward it. The MLB will drop to his zone first and then react to the pulling guard. At least that is what I think is happening on varsity.

Also you have to do a check/read step with the linebacker or the AI will cause you to get suctioned into blocks. But if you check step, it gives the user total control at that point, and you get don't get suction blocked near as much.

For those that don't know what check/read stepping is, watch this awesome Backbreaker video about playing LB. Well worth a watch if that type stuff interests you. His other videos cover QB play and Corner so be sure to check out the rest of his channel if you find this interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/user/newberry94005#p/a/u/1/oHHUc6M1aJM

11. Goose

Goose Walk On

Is anyone else tired of having their CPU defenders just stand and wait to be blocked? I had a few plays last game on runs up the middle where my middle linebacker should have made a play but just froze and waited to be blocked and didn't even give the running back a look.

12. mbmonk

mbmonk Walk On

Yea. This is exactly what I was talking about in terms of suction blocking, probably a bad name for it on my behalf.

Your linebacker will literally just stand still and let the offense block him. In order to get around this you have to do the check/read step manually. That negates the problem. But it does open you up to other problems. I won't mention what they are here because people could exploit my read/check step :p

13. brucebond

brucebond Walk On

what's the check/read step?

14. mbmonk

mbmonk Walk On

Read step is a very short step the lineback takes when the play begins. If you think the play will be a run you take a short step toward the line of scrimmage and then try to read the play. If you think it going to be a pass then you take your short step away from the line of scrimmage ( moving toward pass coverage ) and then react on what you are reading.

This video explains the concept:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/newberry94005#p/a/u/1/oHHUc6M1aJM

15. brucebond

brucebond Walk On

youtube is blocked at work.........

:(

16. mbmonk

mbmonk Walk On

You need to get in good with your IT administrator. Our IT admin is my brother.. :p

17. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Since I haven't play with my new book yet, and won't for some time, I am going to change it again. Instead of Boise, I'm going with Pittsburgh's playbook. It's got one more big set with a FB, and a wildcat. Let me know if anyone objects, and I'll keep Boise for the bowl game, and change after.

18. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

my only question: will Ohio State's absolutely silly and illogical setup of an insanely long break before the bowl come back to bite them in the ass in fantasy world as much as it has in real life?

19. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

FYI Arch,

I am using the Penn State "Spread HD" at SMU.