Bowl Season Game Summaries

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by CharlestonUSC, Jun 23, 2011.

1. CharlestonUSC

CharlestonUSC Walk On

[​IMG]
    2015 Outback Bowl
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    (7-5) (7-5)

[​IMG]

AP Tampa, F.L.​

The University of South Carolina Gamecocks and their first year head coach, Jackson Brantley, have capped an amazing first season with a New Year's Day bowl victory of storied Big 10 team the Michigan Wolverines.​

South Carolina came into Saturday's game as a major underdog with not much credit granted by the national media. "Yep everyone pretty much thought we were lucky to make a January 1st bowl game and that we just came down here for the nice buffet and free gift bags. Turns out we didn't get our teeth kicked in today after all" quipped head coach Jackson Brantley during the post game on field celebrations.​

"We had a rough first year on the field, but we didn't lose anyone academically and we didn't have anyone get kicked off the team. None of these guys are going to have careers in the NFL and they know it. For some of these seniors it was the last time they'll ever step on a field suited up. We came out here today, and really approached this entire season, with an attitude of needing to be a team. We don't have any superstars to carry the load, so it was important that we all play the parts we needed to."​

That superstar line could definitely be challenged by some NFL draft pundits after the game, and season, that senior Desi Woods put up. Woods set a school record for most passing yards in a game, 505 yds and 5 TDs, and led the Carolina offense up and down the field at will sometimes. Woods, ranked in the middle ground of quarterbacks eligible for the draft this year, isn't even thinking about the NFL right now.​

"We're going to let him enjoy this bowl win and relish his senior season for a little while then we'll talk about the NFL. He definitely has the size and pocket presence to make a team come April. He is raw in a few areas but so are a lot of quarterbacks coming out of college" noted coach Jackson, "but we'll definitely do everything we can to put him in the best position to get drafted."​

This was a quite a season for the first year head coach. A majority of the preseason team goals were met and the team even managed to knock off #2 Florida at home in November. That loss sent the Gators from a potential BCS Title game appearance to settling for less. There were definitely some bumps and bruises along the way but Gamecock Nation is in better hands during this offseason than last. This first year head coach has great potential and can turn this program into a conference and BCS contender in due time. Let's just hope when contract time comes around, the university is willing to pay up!​

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. jtthirtyfour

jtthirtyfour Walk On

Nice win. what a turnaround from the beginning of the season, great job. I'll try to get my bowl game in later tonight and hopefully have the same result.

3. CharlestonUSC

CharlestonUSC Walk On

Well, I understand some of the concepts out of the 4-2-5 a little bit more since the Clemson game and that played a big role. For once the interior of my o line decided to have a dominating game, so i was able to call dive plays instead of tosses and counters all game. It definitely feels good to finish the season with a bowl win, especially against Michigan, and hit offseason on a high note.

I only wish wins like this will have a bigger impact on recruiting in ncaa 12.