Bowl Week 2 Summaries

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by MILMONTpa, Dec 23, 2009.

1. MILMONTpa

MILMONTpa MILMONTpa

Bowl Week 2 Summaries

Colorado State (8-5) (4-4 conf.) tangled with the Idaho Vandals (8-5) (5-3 conf.) for the ​

HUMANITARIAN BOWL

This game was played on the icy blue field of Boise State in the snow !

1st Qtr
    Colorado State and Idaho both played conservative, running the ball and connecting on short passes. The snow seemed to keep both offensive coordinators tentative. CSU's HB L. Greenwood scored from 2 yds out to give CSU an early lead in this one.
    End of 1st qtr score : Idaho 00 Colorado St 07

2nd Qtr
    The second qtr. would see both teams once again grinding in the snow. The play of the game came early in this one at the 4 minute mark. With Idaho driving into CSU territory seeking to tie the game... CSU DT G. Miller broke thru the line and was first to arrive to a fumbled option from Idaho's QB Nathan Enderle. Miller galloped 59 yds thru the snow determined to break the game open. The Vandals third attempt to tackle the runaway behemoth finally succeeded... but not until after the massive DT Miller had set up CSU inside the Vandal 10 yd line with his rambling fumble return.

[youtube]zws-5lfg8Eg[/youtube]

The Vandals didn't throw in the towel though... they got back in the saddle and drove right back down the field, finally scoring with a 20 yd strike to Vandal MVP for the season on the team, WR Preston Davis.

HALF TIME : Idaho 07 Colorado St 14

3rd Qtr
    Idaho attempted to open the game up in the 2nd half and took to the air. Sr QB Nathan Enderle threaded a 27 yd strike to WR Maurice Shaw to tie the game up. On another day the pass may have been swatted down, but on this day, in this, his final game of his career, SR QB Enderle found the thinnest of margins to slip this one through to his receiver and tie the game.

CSU responded by methodically doing what they had done all day. Grind the ball downfield, ultimately culminating with a surprise play-action pass for a 13 yd score to E. Peitz.
    End of 3rd qtr score : Idaho 14 Colorado St 21

4th Qtr
    Idaho took a page from CSU's playbook on the ensuing drive. After grinding down the field, the Vandals scored on a 13 yd PA pass to TE Omar Rivera. This would tie the game with about 4:30 to go and the feeling was that the game could go either way.

On the ensuing drive, the Vandal defense came up big on a 3rd and short and forced a big punt from CSU territory. The Vandals started what they hoped to be the go ahead drive. The CSU defense rose to the occasion however... and as the Vandals crossed midfield, they were suddenly halted and lost big yardage on a 2nd HB screen. The Vandal's hadn't used that particular play much this season and it was just a bad offensive call that backfired in the worst possible way. Unable to convert the 3rd and long... Idaho punted. CSU went right back to their bread and butter ball control offense and moved the ball methodically. With 27 seconds to go, CSU FG kicker nailed a 47 yd-er which had plenty of distance and was right down the center. The FG was somewhat anti-climatic as the kicker converted the FG almost routinely in spite of all the snow and drama on the icy field of Bronco Stadium. Perhaps Idaho would have been better served to burn a TO there, but the truth is, we think the kicker would have nailed it from 55 yds out. It really seemed that routine.

Idaho was glad to have 27 seconds to work with and went to their 5 wide set looking to try and set up a FG to tie the gm and force OT. Vandal fans had seen them do it time and again all season long. With the game on the line, fans for both teams were on their feet trying to be the 12th man. Once again the CSU defense rose to the occasion... with drama in the air and all eyes looking downfield, two of Idaho's passes were simply batted down at the line of scrimmage. A potentially exciting finish was snuffed out in the trenches and CSU emerged victorious.

Good game CSU !!

FINAL SCORE - Idaho 21 Colorado St 24

KeY STATz
    :

Idaho QB Nathan Enderle : 18 / 27 - 194 yds - 3 TDs - 0 INTs
    Idaho HB Deonte Jackson : 18 att - 105 yds - 0 TDs
    Idaho WR - Preston Davis : 8 rec - 76 yds - 1 TD

Colorado St. QB K. Kubiak : 10 / 13 - 139 yds - 2 Tds - 2 INTs
    Colorado St HB J. Mosure : 16 att - 86 yds - 0 TDs
    Colorado St WR E. Peitz : 4 rec - 42 yds - 2 TDs

2. T2

T2 Smarter than your average bear!

im confused... lol

3. MILMONTpa

MILMONTpa MILMONTpa

Editting done - makes more sense now. GG CSU !

4. T2

T2 Smarter than your average bear!

haha now i get it haha

5. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

Bad Idaho Bad lol

6. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

Great game Milmont, great writeup. When Miller picked up that ball, I didn't think I was going to make it 5 yards. Big man can move, and I am going to miss him next year. He has been a huge part of my interior defense. I forgot how good Deonte Jackson is. He was a beast and a ghost at the same time. He'd run a guy over, then teleport around the next one with amazing juke moves. Great game again, and I look forward to maybe a OoC game with you in the future.

Mike

7. MILMONTpa

MILMONTpa MILMONTpa

I think I am getting 1/2 my enjoyment from the writeups now that I have access to youtube highlites. Too bad (or maybe good thing) we didn't have any spectacular plays - I would have written a friggin' novel.

I gotta get back to winning some games here soon too.

Rob