Bowls are up

Discussion in 'The Dirty Dozen' started by DirtycashDylan, Aug 21, 2010.

1. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

Bowls are up

Get em in before we start the offseason tomorrow at 3.

2. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

3cst? Im hoping to make but that all depends on the babies :) Im keeping my fingers crossed!

3. Full Moon Fever

Full Moon Fever Champion of Standards

Well that f'ing sucked.

How the hell does the last bowl qualifier (#7 in CUSA) get the highest ranked bowl opponent??

The Potato Warriors fought valliantly against the #9 VT Hokies in the Champs Sports Bowl in beautiful Orlando, Florida. But in the end, the 6 turnovers were more than the Vandals could overcome.

After forcing a Hokie punt, Sr RB Deonte Jackson fumbled the ball away on the first Vandal play of the game, deep in their own territory. My defense bailed us out when Sr MLB Paul Senescall picked off a pass and rumbled 20 yards downfield before being dragged down by the quarterback. On the very next play, however, I continued my season long exercise in futility as I again tried to make the WR Mid Screen work. Like has happened a few times this season, it went back for 6 the other way and the Hokies were up 7-0.

On the ensuing possession, I actually put together a decent drive before a delay of game penalty on 3rd and 8 from the 22 killed me. Tried a draw play to get back any kind of yardage to get back into FG range but it was stuffed. I left the 44-yard FG attempt just short. On their next possession, VT boinked a 40 yard attempt off the upright, and the Vandals were back in business.

After driving the field, I found my TE on a 12 yard strike on a hitch and go against man coverage. Beautiful. 7-7. (See highlight)

With just under a minute left, I picked off a deep ball and brought it back inside the VT 30. A draw play took the ball down to the 5, and from there Jackson was able to punch it in and take a 14-7 lead into the break.

After receiving the second half kickoff, I started the exact same way we opened the game. A f'ing fumble on the very first play. Felt like a win when I held them to a 3 and out field goal to bring the game to 14-10.

After a decent drive, I was picked off near the red zone. The Hokies had a quality drive of their own and scored on a 1 yard run on 3rd and goal to make it 17-14 Hokies.

After moving the ball to midfield, I was picked off yet again. I forced a punt, but my returner fumbled after about 8 yards. Two plays later, a hell of a catch in the corner of the endzone made it 24-14.

A few plays later, I had my 6th turnover of the game, another interception at my own 38. I held them to a field goal, this one bouncing off the right upright and going in for 3 to make the score 27-14 with 3:30 to go in the game.

I was able to rustle up some Potato Magic when I connected on a 60-yard TD pass on a desperation 4th and 24 heave from my own 40. 27-21 Hokies with just under 3 to play.

I still had 2 timeouts and decided to take my chances playing defense, so I went ahead and kicked it away. I thought I had my break when my corner jumped a short pass out in the flats. What would've been a game-changing pick 6 turned into a harmless incomplete pass when he couldn't secure the interception. Couldn't come up with the stop that I needed and after a few first downs, they kneeled it out and came away with a 27-21 Champs Sports Bowl victory.

Even though I lost it was a pretty fun game. I felt good about the way my team played.

4. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

SMU - 58
    UAB - 49

Jesus that was ridiculous. My defense had no answer for their damn 4 and 5 wide sets. SMU jumped out to 51-21 lead late in the 3rd. We actually got the score to 51-49 with under 2 minutes but just had nothing left in the tank. Both QB's threw for over 500 yards. Isabelle had 6 TD's and 3 INTS. Getting down so big so early really took me away from my running game but we made a game of it. SMU's QB was in God Mode all game. What few pick chances I had were dropped. Well now on to season 2 were I loss 22 seniors. Should be awesome!!!!

5. Steamer43

Steamer43 Cleveland Steamer

Damn, lost to Pitt 38-22. Dion Lewis was insane. He had 24 carries for 173 yards. I think he started with 130 on his first 13 though. He looked like he was going in fast forward compared to my D lol. I was down 14-0 right off the bat, but i answered with a long TD pass and a pick 6. Pitt led 24-14 at half, but on the kick return to start the 3rd i fumble and its returned for a td. Pitt scored again and it was 38-14 just like that. I got into Pitt territory but went for it on 4th and long on 3 different drives in the 2nd half. Returned a fumble for a TD to end the game and the season.

6. Full Moon Fever

Full Moon Fever Champion of Standards

Glad to know it's not only me. I lost to SMU in my offline dynasty with Texas Tech right after I got the game. If you go to the SMU playbook, it's actually pretty cool. Most of their passes are option routes, where the receivers change what they do based on the coverage. But yeah, they're damn near impossible to stop. The only thing I enjoyed about playing them was that the QB, Kyle Padron, is a Southlake kid and I coached him.

7. nikpin

nikpin Universitas Brunensis

Hawaii Bowl
    WMU 31
    Houston 7

Pretty much dominated Houston to hit that 10 win season. Despite running no huddle the entire game and throwing nearly every down they didn't have much offense as their only points came on the opening drive of the game. My two biggest offensive weapons came through for me as Aaron Winchester ran for 186 yards on 21 carries and a TD. Robert Arnheim caught the ball 5 times for 101 yards and a score as well.

Ready to advance to the offseason.