Breakfast with the Coaches - `12 Season 1

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by GoGators, Jul 20, 2011.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Taking an idea I had and combining it with something I seen in Dru50 league, I had an idea. This thread is designated as a "BLOG" style thread where you can post weekly updates regarding your teams gameplay, recruiting progress, or give your next weeks opponent some solid bulletin board material.

I'm sure you guys have all watched a Sunday morning coaches show at some point where the coach sits down and reviews the gametape and makes some points about his teams play and the coming week. That's the idea here.

Also, if anyone can come up with a better title for this thread, feel free to supply one.

2. GoGators

After NW first game, a big win over UNC, new HC Coach KSherm had this to say:

"The offense really is not clicking at this point. I thought we'd be much further along than we are right now and I'm not sure what the problem is. We seem to lack speed and our youth is a real problem. I thought our running game would be a bit more potent but right now it seems HB Mike Trumby is thinking too much instead of playing and he isn't playing fast enough. There's been big holes that he just hasn't been able to hit in time. Also, TE "The Drake" who we were counting on to be a real factor in the passing game had a tough outting in week 1 with a few drops. We'll have to give him some more time on the ball machine this week."

3. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Missed this thread yesterday. I love the idea. I'm making it a sticky.

4. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

3 Week Update:

I am very happy with the MSU offense so far. It's been very efficient and the running game has been better than I expected. Edwin Baker has been "The Rock" as advertised, but LeVeon Bell has been every bit as good. The passing game hasn't had to do a whole lot, except for the Georgia game when Cousins was able to lead two clutch drives in a come-from-behind win.

Defensively the Spartans have been solid, not spectacular. The defensive line is phenomenal and making the secondary look better behind them.

The only issue with the team so far are Cousins' 4 Ints on the season already with limited passing attempts. He needs to make better reads and maybe spend more time in the film room.

5. GoGators

Well, after two disappointing back to back losses to teams that are probably better than us, it's back to the drawing board this week. Up first, is dumbing down the playbook. I think the new playbook has been too much for these kids to try to grasp all at once. They're clearly thinking more than they're playing since they look like their feet are stuck in mud out there. Hopefully we can make some things easier and we'll get better production. QB Dan Persa really needs to step up his game!

Good news right now is that as bad as we stink, it seems Wisconsin smells more of rotten cheese than we do.

6. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

Arkansas has finally been able to get their running game going!

That is really all I got, I need to stop throwing so many damn bad passes though.

7. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

Are we looking into sliders? My team isn't that bad and we get 205 yards racked up against us by one guy.

Glad you threw it up 24-3 though. That pick 6 made it look a little closer.

8. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

yeah that was a nice pick huh lol. It was 3rd and like 33 and I just bombed it and your guy picked it off and I couldn't believe that your DB got loose like that. I really would have rather played you though instead. The last game we had was VERY close and I enjoy playing you as it is a chess game trying to stop your passing game.

Although I did like the free pass this year. You going to Vegas again next season?...lol

9. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Are you kidding?!?! 9 passes vs me and you throw too much?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

Besides our game I have thrown an INT in every other game so far.

11. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Bucky is off the snide!!

First win is in the books and it is sweet baby!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

After 3 games I have to say that I'm very pleased with how well my kids have plays thus far. Unlike the stubborn Wildcats coach, I didn't wait a few weeks to dumb down my playbook as I've done that from day 1. I have everything in there that I want to run, but I'm not calling hardly any options yet was Wynn simply isn't ready for them and he can't be taking too many hits with no real backup. Outside of that the kids have played well and have adapted to the new offensive and defensive philosophies very quickly. We still have a lot of work ahead of us, but through a quarter of the season, we're off to a nice start. Our toughest opponent of the year is coming up next game so my job right now is to make sure that the kids are ready to face one of the most physically demanding teams that they've probably ever played against.

13. texacotea

texacotea Walk On

Where we are at right now I am most pleased with the running game, we have some sort of balance but need to be able to make the right reads and throws more often. Feel like I may force stuff to often and try to "play catch" up too soon if Im down. On the defensive side we need to be better in the secondary, gave way to many yards up to Illinois and thats what kept them in the game. With another user game this week we should be able to gauge were we are going to be for the rest of the yr

14. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

It's been quite a season for the Wildcats. We could easily be undefeated but a 5-2 start is nothing to complain about. The offense is tops in the nation and the young offensive line is coming into forum. A lot of sacks have been given up, yet they have have their moments in the rushing game and others. They really showed their potential when blocking for Keola Antolin and being able to run for over 150 yards the first time this season. And being able to get 200+ rushing and 200+ passing yards in a game is something the Wildcats have wanted. Also the defense is having a tremendous season. Besides a glaring game against Oregon which both the offense and defense let up a major upset they needed, the defense has been able to either keep the opponent out of the game or the offense in the game to come and open it up wide. Nick Foles has thrown a good amount of INTs but half of those were against Oregon. Hopefully we get Oregon in the Championship game but it looks more and more like Stanford and a date in Palo Alto will be who Arizona plays if they win out in conference. But there is one more major hurdle in Tempe against Coach jello1717 which will decide the South. Both teams have conference game in which are games they should win, but you always must beware of an upset. Arizona and Arizona St control their own destiny but the Battle for the Territorial Cup looks to be the South deciding game.

15. jello1717

With Arizona State entering a bye week following their thrashing of #12 Oregon, coach Jello had some time to sit down with The Experience Network to talk some football.

The Experience Network:Why did you switch teams midseason?
    Coach Jello:After signing with Utah it came to light that, prior to my arrival, they were using high priced hookers to keep all of their players relaxed during the season. Once the NCAA found out about this, they hit the program with some serious recruiting sanctions which would've hampered my ability to build the type of program I wanted to there. After ASU fired their coach after an embarrasing 20-0 loss to lowly Illinois, I jumped at the opportunity to land at a program that's doing things the right way.

T.E.N.:How does this team compare with Utah in terms of progressing towards "your kind of team?"
    C.J.:While I still don't have the kind of speed I'll need @ QB, there are some good FR QBs on this team that will hopefully tide us over until I can get the guy that I need. With Utah I need to sign a QB this year so I was pursuing a 2* JUCO(SO) kid. With the Devils, the FR I have can tide me over for a couple of years while I search for just the right kid.

T.E.N.:How do you feel about your team's performance since you took over?
    C.J.:We still have a lot of work to do, but I'm fairly pleased thus far. Our QB needs to complete more passes and become a threat to throw the ball. On the ground, I came from coaching Thretton Palamo, who is a terrific player, so the bar @ HB is set very high. Thus far Cameron Marshall has run the ball hard and is coming off of a phenomenal game. He needs to continue to play at that level in order for our team to win games.

T.E.N.:You only mentioned offense. How do you feel about your defense?
    C.J.:I'm a 3-4 guy and I love to play that D, but this team is not in any way, shape, or form built for the 3-4 so I have to play much more 4-3 than I like. The kids have been awesome thus far in the 4-3 scheme. Our DBs are getting turnovers, our D-line has created some terriffic pressure and our MLB stud Vontaze Burfict has been a ball seeking missile out there. Sometimes I feel sorry for the opponents that try to take him on over the middle. The vast majority of the time, it doesn't end well for them. With Burfict only being a JR I'm going to do my best to try to convince him to return next year. He's a sure 1st round draft pick, however, so I know I have my work cut out for me.

T.E.N.:What is your projection for the remainder of the season?
    C.J.:That's a pretty loaded question seeing as I'm not Nostradamus. We've already locked up a bowl bid, which was my first goal. We're still in the hunt for a conference championship which is our next goal. We've got a week to rest up and then 3 games that we should win. Then we'll face off against our rivals Arizona in a game that will likely decide who gets to play in the CCG. This is always our most important game of the year, and it looks like it'll be even more important than normal this year. While we won't overlook Colorado, UCLA, and WSU, we're definitely looking forward to the Arizona game.

T.E.N.:Thank you for making the time to visit us coach Jello and good luck on the rest of the season.
    C.J.:Thank you so much for having me and Go Devils!

• Like Like x 2
  16. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Big week for the Wolverines as we prepare to host the Huskers. The game is extremely important because it is being seen by many as an opportunity to avenge the 97 Co-national championship. But the biggest piece of motivation is the opportunity to get to the sixth win for bowl eligibility. See you at the Big House.

17. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Despite the Badgers dismal start to the 2011 season, Coach Alvarez feels good about where his team is. "We have pulled things together and are in a position to challenge for the B1G championship, which is our first goal each and every season. Two more wins and we will play in the first B1G championship game."

18. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

[​IMG]

The Big Ten Network caught up with Coach Cantor of the Michigan State Spartans shortly after their big win against Indiana this Saturday. Here is a brief review of the conversation: (yes I'm stealing your idea jello1717)

Gerry Dinardo: Coach did you realistically see your team putting together another top ten season after so much success the year before?

Coach Jordan Cantor: Well, I knew we had the talent to compete with everyone, but our schedule was daunting. We had one of the most, if not the most, difficult road schedules in the nation with games at Iowa, Nebraska, Ohio State, and Georgia. I thought we may have lost one or two of those on the way. We have not typically played well in Iowa City especially, and again we had another close call this year had it not been for a couple of late turnovers by the Hawkeyes. That being said, my guys have worked extremely hard to build on last years success instead of being content with what happened in the past and you can see the results.

Dinardo: What has surprised you the most with this years team?

JC: To be honest, it's been the play of Kirk Cousins. He hasn't had his best year and I think he may be trying a bit too hard with it being his senior year. He is a phenomenal leader and that has been of tremendous value for us, but on the field he has not been himself. He did look a whole lot better against IU today though so maybe he is finally starting to relax.

Dinardo: I know it's not easy for you to highlight just one player on your team, but if you had to choose, who would be your Spartan MVP so far this season?

JC: Oh boy, putting me on the spot here Gerry. I'm going to get a lot of jawing from the guys after this, but I'll be honest with you. I would have to go with Junior CB Johnny Adams. This may be surprising to some people, but remember where this defense was 2 years ago. We were ranked 114th in the nation in pass defense, a year in which Johnny redshirted. Last year we improved to 64th and it was no longer our Achilles heal. This year the secondary is a strength of our team and has one more than a couple games for us with timely interceptions. Johnny deserves a lot of the credit for that. He brings an intensity to the game that is contagious to his teammates and Johnny himself has had two game ending INTs this season.

Dinardo: That's some high praise coach. One last question, How have you dealt with filling the shoes of retired coach Mark Dantonio?

JC: Coach Dantonio deserves a lot, if not all, of the credit for where this team is today. I have simply tried to follow the blueprint he left for me to the best of my ability. I haven't really left my mark on this team yet, your still seeing the Dantonio game plan, and don't expect that to change anytime soon.

19. jello1717

The Experience Network caught up with coach Jello as he was leaving the field following his team's huge victory in The Big Game. We asked him how he was able to get his team motivated for the game considering that he had the CCG birth all but wrapped up. He replied "Oh we didn't need to do much to get ourselves up for this game. We've been anticipated it for a while. The Arizona coach gave our kids all of the bulletin board material anyone could ever ask for. We've had coach UofCWildcat's remarks plastered inside our locker room, the weight room, the practice facility, you name it. We felt that UA didn't take our team seriously enough and we wanted to go out and show them that we were for real."

When asked what remarks he was talking about, he pulled out a stack of papers which he had on his person.

Said to the Stanford coach as if it were a foregone conclusion that the wildcats would be in the CCG:
    In response to the poor ASU secondary:
    Coach Jello said that after hearing the 3rd and 4th quotes, his secondary was unbelievably amped for the game. He said that the 3 picks in the red zone really showed how much his kids wanted this game.

• Like Like x 1
  20. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

The Experience Network had a bunch of questions for Coach Lambdin after the post game.

Experience Network Reporter: So what can you tell us about this game? I know it was a big one for you seeing as how it was a rival and another Top 25 team.

Coach Lambdin: Well this one stings. I really wish that we could of pulled it out but it's hard to put a back-up Bryson Bernie in and expecting him to be 100% ready for the challenge. I blame myself. I should of called a time out but i had told Bernie that if you don't get the first hurry up. This was a rookie coach mistake in a big rivalry game. I apologize to the University of Arizona family for this mistake.

ENR: Nick was a little rattled. He's had games like this when the game has mattered. With only his Bowl Game left, how do you think he'll translate in the NFL?

CL: Nick's had a very roller coaster Senior season. He's had games like Utah where he was flawless and then he had games like Oregon where his INTs over shadow a great performance. I know with the time and a good core around him, I know Nick can develop into a great pocket passer. He reminds me of Brett Favre. He's a competitor and he won't let the critics get to him. He'll do what is necessary to get to the top.

ENR: You had a lot of chances this season. You lost every game by one score. I'll count the Oregon game as one score because they score with :00 at the end of the game. What can you do as a coach to push on to the next level and next season.

CL: Well i'm very sad we lose a lot of seniors who i know wanted a Pac-12 Championship but we had our moments which made it something we'd inevitably far short of. I just feel for these guys who did all the right things and wanted more. But we still got our bowl game and we're going to win this and send them out with a great season. We definitely surpassed preseason expectations and that's something i want these guys to remember.

ENR: You still got your bowl game. But you have a pretty bright future for next season. You look to possibly lock up a Top 50 recruiting class. On offense you return Greg Nwoko who has had amazing games, you still got your studly redshirted Senior in Matt Scott who will be a force, 6'4" specimen Dan Buckner at receiver, the athletic TE Terrance Miller, and only lose one O lineman. On defense you return star Linebacker Jake Fischer, both aggressive safeties in Adam Hall and Marquis Flowers, both DTs in Sione Tuihlamaka and Justin Washington, and even though you lose Trevin Wade and Robert Golden you have two corners with mad experience in Shaquille Richardson and brother to ex RB at USC, Joe McKnight, Johnathan McKnight. Where do you see yourself next season?

CL: I think that we'll be in the same place as last season. We lose all but one of our linebackers, lose a great set of corners, our DE again, and lose a good chunk of receivers which was our strong suit. We gotta get these receivers we keep and get them into the fold. I see people putting us back into the middle of the pack but again, we were there this season and we were in the mix. A lot of it will come down to our performance against Top 25 teams. We are 0-3 this season and we gotta fix that. We come to play when its easy but we need to finish in the tough situations.

• Like Like x 1
  21. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

I've never taken this close of a loss so bad. Like i usually try and get another game done but i just took NCAA out and was like "Done for today." I watched the highlights of those two picks in the end zone and i almost threw up. I'm disgusted with myself and that field goal that hit the upright also made me sick. I should of blown you out if those were turned into TDs and i converted that field goal. Good game though. We're coming next year

PS: I am a trash talker :) we'll give you all the bulletin board material. If you convert that into a W good for you. If i win, i was correct.

22. GoGators

After two weeks of the season I'm happy with my guys......so far. The graduation of Dan Persa may be a blessing in disguise. Without his talents at QB, and Watkins being the best I have, it's forced me to take the offense back to the basics. Since the last time QB Watkins ran the 40, we had to clock it with a sun dial, the spread option attack isn't a viable strategy right now. But since there's some talent at HB with Trumpy and Smith and a more than capable WR in Demetrius Fields, the new offense seems to be working nicely.

The new playbook was developed thanks to many phone calls to Gators OC Charlie Weiss. He's lended some of his x's and o's to this fellow Gator and using his strategy sprinkled with a touch of modern flare, things look really nice for the offense. UNFORTUNATELY, the new playbook is the first time I've gotten the playbook glitch so I won't truly be able to use it in user games until the patch comes out which BLOWS! I was really looking forward to using it when my Wildcats headed west to Tempe to take on Coach Jello's Sun Devils. Oh well, looks like I'll have to revert back to something less customized for that one.

Also, NU is entering death row of it's schedule with back to back to back user games against ASU, Michigan, and Michigan St. That patch can't get here soon enough!

23. jello1717

I hear ya! My week2-4 games are against Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Arkansas.